Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

October 28th, 2021 - Development Update

45 minutes ago, pmb said:

I was one of them and I find it really annoying. Every time I want to go into C&D at the ramp, the logbook prevents switching off the plane to the end. And yes, I don't think it requires rocket science to fix.

The logbook is broken anyway. Sometimes it records landing without takeoffs, another time just the opposite and sometimes neither or both. It's all by chance. See the official forum for a host of complaints.

Kind regards, Michael

I don't disagree with you here! I just think it should be known by now how the voting system works.

And while the way they prioritize issues isn't always appreciated by everyone, it makes sense here, as it's probably relatively easy to fix compared to other issues that are considered more important by the user I quoted 😉 

It's just annoying when people make snarky comments about issues getting fixed, especially when those issues probably don't take up large resources for fixing, whereas other issues simply take a longer time to resolve, such as like the glass cockpits...

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

4 hours ago, pmb said:

I was one of them and I find it really annoying. Every time I want to go into C&D at the ramp, the logbook prevents switching off the plane to the end. And yes, I don't think it requires rocket science to fix.

The logbook is broken anyway. Sometimes it records landing without takeoffs, another time just the opposite and sometimes neither or both. It's all by chance. See the official forum for a host of complaints.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael,

You can at that time press the "Continue" option on the popped logbook.  That returns you to the cockpit as it was when the logbook window popped up.  From there you can continue your shutdown to cold and dark.  An additional issue with the logbook however is that once you return from the logbook popup to the live cockpit, the logbook will log the time from that point until you exit the flight, creating what I consider to be a false log entry.  Happens also if you spend study time (familiarization) in a cockpit, even if you do not start an engine.

In regard to accurate takeoffs, landings, and accurate destination airports (vs vicinity), are you starting C&D?  I have given up and have started my last 30 or so flights on the runway with engine(s) running.  Then once landed and off the runway I shut down the engine(s), turn off the lights, then switch off the Avionics Master.  Logbook pops up.  Flight accurately recorded.  That has cured the ills I was experiencing.  Since I have flown so many consecutive flights with that process I do not know if the starting C&D flaws have been cured,  

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 minutes ago, fppilot said:

In regard to accurate takeoffs, landings, and accurate destination airports (vs vicinity), are you starting C&D?  I have given up and have started my last 30 or so flights on the runway with engine(s) running.  Then once landed and off the runway I shut down the engine(s), turn off the lights, then switch off the Avionics Master.  Logbook pops up.  Flight accurately recorded.  

That might be the problem indeed. I usually start C&D, taxi to the runway and takeoff. It's part of the fun, even more to learn about airports. I didn't make a systematic investigation, but as you say, flights seem indeed be properly recorded when I take off directly from the runway. I also recall having read a statement, takeoffs being also recorded when you start at a fuel box, but didn't verify this yet.

Anyway, the simple answer is it has to work either way. If not, they have to take care of it.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

12 hours ago, irocx said:

Interesting.  So now they're eliciting specific aircraft experts to ignore during testing.

I think they'll be waitin' awhile for any Volocopter pilots.

They don’t ignore the testers.

10 hours ago, fppilot said:

Logbook should not pop.....................................................

That is clearly the least of the logbook issues.  Why is it elevated above the more prevalent logbook issues?   

It’s based off the amount of votes on the forum. This list isn’t Asobo’s internal priority list. It’s not the order they’re fixing stuff in. It’s just the top issues voted on by the community.

7 hours ago, MarcG said:

So the update is due in 2-3 weeks, yet now they're asking for experts to join the beta #facepalm. Why do they consistently leave things so late to test?

The very second SU6 dropped they should've advertised for specific testers for SU7 so that they're ready to be introduced immediately as and when needed, get ahead of the curve and prepare in advance... It's not rocket science guys 🙄

They will delay updates if the issues found during testing are too big. Unless there’s some hard deadline they can’t miss.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, pmb said:

Anyway, the simple answer is it has to work either way. If not, they have to take care of it.

+1
And for crying out loud, previous simulators did not have these logbook flaws.  Embarrassing to say the least.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

40 minutes ago, fppilot said:

previous simulators did not have these logbook flaws

And? That doesn't mean anything. This is probably new code.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

They will delay updates if the issues found during testing are too big. Unless there’s some hard deadline they can’t miss.

...and history shows us how badly that goes! 

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

5 minutes ago, MarcG said:

...and history shows us how badly that goes! 

Not really?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

And? That doesn't mean anything.

To you perhaps.  If Red Dead Redemption 2 had come out lacking core features of its predecessors customers would be screaming loudly. And the logbook is not the only attribute that falls short of preceding FS versions.  It certainly means a lot to me and others.  Check the the quote at the bottom of my message footer.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

The screenshots are always good but I think this might be the first winner I actually agree with 🙂, a fantastic creepy atmospheric shot from isaiahnparadise.

After reading some of the Microsoft Support fora, I discovered a number of people suggesting (with a few variations) that the #1 cause of "no landing or takeoffs" being recorded are due to folks running in dev mode in order to see frame rates.... so I turned mine off, restarted the sim - and found the logbook working. I don't know that this is a cure-all for the spurious errors we have been seeing, but even though it's a step in the right direction - I'm not sure Asobo will fix the problem as we would want it to be fixed, Anyway - I reckon someone else already has. In digging for a different purpose I accidentally found one which might just be a much more solid answer.  So - while not seeming to be related - there are many mentions of Little Nav Map being the goto flight planner - on many forums, and I've used it too,  but I've always loved Plan-G... which is now compatible with MSFS - but here's the piece that grabbed my attention:- 

• Flight & aircraft Logbook. This is stored as a relational database, but is also editable from the UI.
  • Aircraft Profiles are now part of the logbook system. Aircraft (including individual registrations) are tracked and movements logged

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/?wpdmpro=plan-g-v4-0-0-251

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

12 hours ago, MarcG said:

So the update is due in 2-3 weeks, yet now they're asking for experts to join the beta #facepalm. Why do they consistently leave things so late to test?

I get what you are saying but given the turn around for these patches is every month, 2-3 weeks user testing seems pretty generous. It's really about making sure what they've delivered isn't breaking anything and performing as expected.

8 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

I get what you are saying but given the turn around for these patches is every month, 2-3 weeks user testing seems pretty generous. It's really about making sure what they've delivered isn't breaking anything and performing as expected.

Yes - but it always does break things!! and our "expectations" are treated as if we're spoiled brats when we expect the same - or BETTER than FSX flight models..

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just seen helicopters slipped into Q4 22. Given we already have a hand full of choppers, most of them freeware, this seems pretty late. While I like a few of those we already have, I'm not the heli expert to actually judge them, but generally they seem to be quite well received.

MS/Asobo (or their partner, as I understand they will be outsourced) certainly will have to model them to a high-standard plus add some surplus like e.g. world-wide hard helipads to convince us.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

4 minutes ago, pmb said:

or their partner, as I understand they will be outsourced

I recall they were looking for partners, which probably means helicopter manufacturers for licencing of helicopter types, names, etc. Don't recollect them saying they are outsourcing (the development of) them, but I could be wrong.