Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG solution

Just for info since I got my new computer just over 6 weeks ago I haven’t had any DXGI problems. No registry fixes either. Maybe the 1080Ti without the registry fixes was the cause.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

Thank you @Afterburner, excellent hint, specially because my decision to drop the 3 A2A aircraft I own for P3D - C172, Comanche and the free P-40 - was costing me good memories of playing with their special models as A2A knows how to do so well...

I will surely give away the rain effects! The VSync though I can't give away 🙂

You are welcome!  I use the C182 by A2A, and all of their GA airplanes are the absolute best in the market, so when you stated before that your fresh install was "clean" of any A2As, I thought that you would be missing out on a lot of quality, and that's not necessary as long as you have the said windshield.dll file inactive (renamed). What I like most about A2A planes is not only their fidelity, but the simulation of mechanical wear. Once I had flaps extended at a higher-than-allowed speed, and a few flights later the flaps were damaged on one side (and it impacted the flight characteristics).

Edited by Afterburner
spelling correction
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Just for info since I got my new computer just over 6 weeks ago I haven’t had any DXGI problems. No registry fixes either. Maybe the 1080Ti without the registry fixes was the cause.

That's great!  Since I got my RTX 3060 in April, I also have not had a DXGI crash (without the registry fix). I use the 527.56 driver. Which one do you use?

With some video cards, you have apparently more luck (or less of it) than with others. Will keep my fingers crossed...

@Afterburner, 537.42 installed using NVCleanStall.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 hours ago, Afterburner said:

If you get a DXGI error while flying with A2A airplanes under rainy conditions, you may try the following to avoid it:

- Rename or relocate the windshield.dll file in the folder  C:\Users\[Your name]\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A\Gauges.  It fixes the error, but you won't see raindrops on the windshield.
- If you want to keep the rain effects, you can try to deactivate Vsync. On my system, I found that the error appears with Vsync on. Obviously, if you use Vsync to keep your FPS in sync with the monitor refresh rate, you will lose that benefit. You need to limit FPS internally if you want to have stable FPS (with the disadvantage that there will be a higher load on your system).

Note that Ray's registry fix does not fix the DXGI error related to A2As windshield.dll file.

Thank you Afterburner amazing tip (I did renamed the windshield dll.) but it did not work and got the hung back (A2A)

Too bad 😞

I know the DXGI  does not  fix anything graphic but it makes the sim rendering more fluid and organic looking

Thanks again

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

Quick update

I have "removed"the windshield dll this time AND rebooted the computer

In the rain for  an hour with the A2A 182 no problem

Dumb luck ..who knows?

finger crossed...

8 hours ago, Stefti said:

Quick update

I have "removed"the windshield dll this time AND rebooted the computer

In the rain for  an hour with the A2A 182 no problem

Dumb luck ..who knows?

finger crossed...

I am relatively confident that you solved the problem on your computer because in my case, the DXGI error happened immediately after it started raining. If you were able to fly for an hour in the rain without the error, it is a good sign. I hope not to be proven wrong.

Not sure what caused the error after you renamed it the first time. Maybe the sim could still access that file somehow...

This problem is brought up on the official A2A forum every now and then, but unfortunately, it was never fully addressed since P3Dv5 was released. I know that Majestic Dash 8 Q400 also uses its own windshield.dll, which works flawlessly and has never caused any error. No idea why A2A's windshields are so prone to the crashes.

14 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I am relatively confident that you solved the problem on your computer because in my case, the DXGI error happened immediately after it started raining. If you were able to fly for an hour in the rain without the error, it is a good sign. I hope not to be proven wrong.

Not sure what caused the error after you renamed it the first time. Maybe the sim could still access that file somehow...

This problem is brought up on the official A2A forum every now and then, but unfortunately, it was never fully addressed since P3Dv5 was released. I know that Majestic Dash 8 Q400 also uses its own windshield.dll, which works flawlessly and has never caused any error. No idea why A2A's windshields are so prone to the crashes.

So it seems..

I`ve used the A2A Bonanza in solid rain and various locations ( Tropical ,Alpine, dense Urban,) without any accident

With P3D the temps are 20 degrees higher then X-Plane or MSFS (66 P3D Vs 44) my 3090 never gets used beyond 6 gb but I assume the cpu(5950) is getting hammered

Still very pleased how good the scenery look compare to MSFS (Orbx lc and regions plus the excellent new 2024 mesh from Pilot`s" a must have IMHO")

I`m glad I`ve  asked and received very detailed  answers about the root cause of the HUNG (BIG thanks!)

I dare to say we may call the (A2A windshield ddl.) the main HUNG factor

To me P3D V5.4 has a lot of life in it .

It has aged but it didn`t get old

Blue Skys...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stefti said:

To me P3D V5.4 has a lot of life in it .

It has aged but it didn`t get old

Blue Skys...

Couldn't have put it better !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I still occasionally get the DXGI error message with my 1080ti, which, of course, trashes the flight. If it happens at the beginning of the flight, it's annoying, but if it happens a few hours in, it really word not allowed me off. I'm going to have new system built soon, so I can live with it until then.

Pete Locascio

Keep posts on topic please. DXGI issues and nothing else. Previous post has been hidden as it’s way off topic.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,Hi

Unfortunately, DXGI still after 4years keep shows itself randomly in my PC.  Is there any magic wand left to cure this problem?

Are there any members experiencing DXGI in P3D V6, also.  

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

@asanal, what graphics card do you have? Have you followed the advice in the pinned posts in this topic?

I bought a new PC last October. Not a single incident of this problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello,
  I can report my experience regarding this problem.
I recently reinstalled P3Dv4.5 and with it other add-ons and other utilities, including REX Environment Force. After starting the simulator and arriving at the main screen, the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG error window appeared. This only with REX Environment Force active. After some testing, I remembered having encountered this type of error in the past.
In Control Panel (NVidia)/"Power Management Mode" I had set the option "Prefer maximum performance", as a habit.
I checked in Windows 11 Settings/Games/Game Mode/Graphics in the Prepar3D  exe options which function was active.
I verified that the active one was "Leave the choice to Windows".
I changed the setting to "High Performance" and restarted the simulator. The error in question never recurred.
And so I did recently to resolve the error with REX EF active.
In my case, it seems that the graphics driver didn't know what to do with two different parameters and was blocking the applications returning this error.
I would like to point out that this is my experience and that on different systems it may not solve the problem.

Ray,Hi

Today I downloaded current Graphic Card 555.12 and according to member "canaroforce12" above post, changed the setting to "High Performance and I took flight KEWR-CYYR without any incident.😊

What a wonder full day.😊

• Like 1

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"