Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

Did free college exist when you were growing up?

35 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I do Martin.  And my four cats thank you too.  Whenever you give me a cat point I show it to them.

Noel

Excellent, just the way it should be. 

30 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I'm still stuck at two.  but I'm not jumping through hoops for a cat point.  If I get one, I get one.

still don't know what good they are though...  kinda like cats 🙃

EDIT: actually we have stray cats here that control both mice and snakes.  very helpful.  not sure how the lizards feel about it.

Do you feed your stray cats? If so I will award you a cat point. 

Edit: I just noticed you said you "kinda" like cats. Make that a bit more definitive, plus feeding them and you get three. 

Edited by martin-w

Do I get any extra cat points for the neighbor's kitty I was taking care of for several years because she was an outside cat and loved my place more than home?

PorchKitty.JPG

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

37 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Do you feed your stray cats?

I don't.  I have fed many cats in the past.  You feed them...  they stick around for a while...  and then they're gone.

There are a number of cats living in the nearby trailer park.  One year one of the mommas got pregnant and decided to have her kittens in the engine well of my mom's car.  I found out about it when I went out to start the car and a momma and several kittens began scrambling out of everywhere underneath the car.  I searched the car completely and found no more kittens so I proceeded to drive to the store.  On the way back from the store I begin noticing what looks like a leaf stuck between the hood and the fenderwell.  As I drive the 'leaf' becomes noticeably a cat paw with claws and I pull off into the nearest parking lot and stop the engine and open the hood to see a terrified little kitten who I had no choice but to terrify even more as I got a cheap styrofoam cooler to put him in for the five minute ride home where I released him and hopefully he caught up with his mother.

This event made me paranoid about cats in the car and I had to search it thouroughly any time I wanted to go anywhere.  Luckily that was the only year that happened and I still see what I believe to be that kitten in the neighborhood.

So, no, I don't feed them.  I don't want them being too comfortable to come around the house.  Besides, I barely have money to feed myself.  I do give old bread to the birds -- that must count for something.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

10 minutes ago, sightseer said:

On the way back from the store I begin noticing what looks like a leaf stuck between the hood and the fenderwell.  As I drive the 'leaf' becomes noticeably a cat paw with claws and I pull off into the nearest parking lot and stop the engine and open the hood to see a terrified little kitten who I had no choice but to terrify even more as I got a cheap styrofoam cooler to put him in for the five minute ride home where I released him and hopefully he caught up with his mother.

You saved a cat and took him back to his mother. That sir is priceless. But sadly 1000 is the max. 

X1000 😺

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Do I get any extra cat points for the neighbor's kitty I was taking care of for several years because she was an outside cat and loved my place more than home?

Absolutely you do! Not your cat but you were still kind.

However... if the cat was fed by its owner AND you it could have been overfed and unhealthy. So please report back on the cats weight. Your request will them be considered. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I have fed many cats in the past.  You feed them...  they stick around for a while...  and then they're gone.

Not necessarily true.  Our first cat, Shadow, a Russian Blue, was a stray that found it's way into our back yard.  We fed it and she became quite friendly.  Then she came into the house and decided she'd like to stay.  We took her to the vet to be spade and discovered she was pregnant.  She had four kittens.  We kept two and gave two away.

A year later another kitten found it's way into our back yard.  We fed it outside and then he found his way into the house, decided he liked it here, and stayed.

That was about 6 or 7 years ago.

We have another cat we call Bandit because he/she has a black hood on it's face.  It's been around for a couple of years now and comes into the house to eat but we can't get near it.  Sometimes late at night while I'm watching TV it will sneak into the living room and go out the cat door to the patio.

After Stubby was comfortable in the house for a while I took him to the vet to get neutered.  When the receptionist asked, "And what is Stubby here for?"  I relied, "I want you to cut his balls off."  That got a good laugh in the waiting room.  

I cannot imagine the house without the cats.  Each one has a different personality.  Shadow likes to jump up on my desk when I'm flying my simulator and head butt my hand because she wants to be petted.  She's my co-pilot for a while.

Noel

• Like 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

22 hours ago, birdguy said:

Dave or anyone, what's the secret to the Scandinavian country's handing of healthcare?

The secret is to have politicians who aren't being bribed by Big Pharma and Big Healthcare.  These industries are gigantic and amount to almost 20% of U.S. GDP.  People talk about the military industrial complex, but that is paltry compared to what we spend on healthcare and pharmaceuticals in the U.S.  Our entire healthcare system is a big racket designed to extract as much money from sick people as possible.  It's shameful.

The fact that it is a racket becomes evident when you compare healthcare and drug costs in the U.S. with other advanced nations.  In the U.S. we pay on average 2-3 times what citizens in similar nations pay for healthcare, and in some cases 5-10 times what they pay for certain prescription drugs.

Congress is supposedly working on a plan to reduce drug prices, but you can bet that there will be exceptions and special deals for Big Pharma to keep those campaign contributions and free trips to the Turks and Caicos flowing.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

59 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Absolutely you do! Not your cat but you were still kind.

However... if the cat was fed by its owner AND you it could have been overfed and unhealthy. So please report back on the cats weight. Your request will them be considered. 

Kitty was not overfed!  Her owners bought a house several miles from mine and came over about 2 years ago and picked her up to live with them.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

18 minutes ago, dave2013 said:

Our entire healthcare system is a big racket designed to extract as much money from sick people as possible

When I was in the National Guard one of my troops was there to get his tuition assistance.  He was in medical school.  I once asked him why he chose to become a doctor.  He told me so he could become  millionaire before he reached 30.

Every month when I get my Medicare statement Medicare only pays a fraction of the bill.  Say the hospital bills an MRI for 800 dollars.  Medicare only allows 100 dollars and they pay 80% of that.  Tricare pays the remaining 20% (my copay).  I imagine insurance companies don't pay the full amount billed either, but I don't know.  Who has to pay the full amount?  Those without insurance and that amount is probably carried over and wiped out when the patient eventually files for bankruptcy.

Great system eh?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I would think the hospital and/or doctor ordering this MRI has had the patient's ability to pay checked out before the procedure is done.

Charlie Aron

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I imagine insurance companies don't pay the full amount billed either, but I don't know.  Who has to pay the full amount?  Those without insurance

I am shocked at the disparity between what the hospital charges and what they actually get paid by my mom's health insurance.  The hospital could bill $50,000 for several major surgeries, saving her life a few times and time recooperating and the insurance pays $3,000 or so.

As for who does pay the full amount:  I had a seizure at work and was taken by ambulance where a CT Scan was done.  I had asked for tylenol but never got any.  A co worker, a God -send (Thanks Mike!) came and told the hospital it was a workers comp situation and drove me to my car and I drove home after a while.

I got a bill for around $1600.  $600 for ambulance. $600 for the CT Scan I think it was and the rest for time laying on a table in what amounted to a broom closet. (Note that it was a very long time ago and I dont really remember)

I started paying the best I could and after several months of payment, I was refunded what I had paid and told it had been covered.  I thought that was fair considering the company had fired me.  That company went to tremendous lengths to get rid of me legally by rearranging employees and retitling various people so that I became on paper 'the most recent hire at my location with my title' and they laid me off.  I consider it being fired. I was in no way the most recent hire -- not even in my division was I the most recent hire.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

18 minutes ago, charliearon said:

I would think the hospital and/or doctor ordering this MRI has had the patient's ability to pay checked out before the procedure is done.

I think emergency care must be given regardless of a person's ability to pay.  If an MRI is required by the treating physician it should be performed.  But I am supposing here.  I don't really know.

I was taken to the emergency room after my wife called an ambulance after a fall.  I was wheeled right into an examining room and the doctor ordered a brain scan to see if I had any injury.  At no time was I asked about insurance or anything until after that scan and an administrator came to the examining room and asked for my Medicare and retired military ID card.

I had fallen off a couch I was standing on while hanging a picture on the wall.  My head hit a table on the way down.  It wasn't that serous but I got a terrible scolding from the doctor saying 80 year olds should keep their feet on the floor at all times.  Then he stapled the cut without a shot of painkiller.  

Noel

About 30 years ago I had back surgery for ruptured disks in L4 and L5. When I received the bill I was blown away for the ridiculous "incidental" charges:

• Urine Bottle - $60
  • Box of Tissues - $30
  • Tylenol 30 x $5/each
  • et cetera

A total of $500 of "incidentals" was on the bill. Fortunately for me this was covered by my employer's insurance plan.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

Kitty was not overfed!  Her owners bought a house several miles from mine and came over about 2 years ago and picked her up to live with them.

Have 3 then. X3 😻

• Like 1