Sign in to follow this  
sobor

Google or no Google

I downloaded the MSFS 2020 Google Map replacement and have used it several times without any problem, but I have not been impressed. I have the latest version and set it up as directed in the demonstration video. I have also viewed many comparison videos but have not personally seen much difference in my setup.

I decided to go to a specific location and chose Lord Howe Island in the South Pacific Ocean as I felt such an isolated place would demonstrate apparent differences. The results surprised me. The Lord Howe Island without Google was by far the best. Brighter with much better detail. Is it possible I have a setting incorrectly set? I tried to embed the photos but without success. 

Edited by sobor
spelling

Personally, I think it is more trouble than it is worth. It is very location dependent. Google is better that Bing in some areas, but worse in others, so it really depends where you are flying.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Quality varies in Bing and Google Maps depending on location.  In big cities in the USA there is often not a lot of difference.  In other USA areas Google can be far superior.  Google maps often has details not in Bing maps because they can be more up to date.

For example, take off from L52 in California and fly North towards KSBP (San Luis) using Bing Maps.  take a good look at the ground textures and colours in the ground and surrounding mountains.  Make sure your rolling Cache is deleted then try the same flight with the Google maps replacement tool. You will note more detail and natural colours.

Use Bing or Google depending on the area you fly as you get to know which is best for that area.  

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Just now, turnandbank said:

Personally, I think it is more trouble than it is worth. It is very location dependent. Google is better that Bing in some areas, but worse in others, so it really depends where you are flying.

The Google Maps replacement tool is a cinch to install and run so well worth using both.  Very location dependent, but the areas I fly in Google maps are better 95% of the time.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I prefer Bing maps...less hassle, less issues, and the imagery seems just as good in most places with better color correction.  It might be useful if you fly in one area a lot where Google is noticeably better, but in general I'd forget about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not worth the hassle IMHO. Sometimes Bing is better and sometimes Google is better. Because of that, I don’t really see it worth this hassle and the risk of breaking the sim aka CTDs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I just flew L52 to KSBP using Google and Bing. Definitely, Google was better. All this means making your own choice based on your own experience and need. 

35 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Not worth the hassle IMHO. Sometimes Bing is better and sometimes Google is better. Because of that, I don’t really see it worth this hassle and the risk of breaking the sim aka CTDs

What 'hassle' are you referring to?  Starting the Google Map Replacement Tool is just a click on the run button.  The tool just re-directs request for scenery tiles, so I'm not sure why you think this would lead To CTDs.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, precog said:

I prefer Bing maps...less hassle, less issues, and the imagery seems just as good in most places with better color correction.  It might be useful if you fly in one area a lot where Google is noticeably better, but in general I'd forget about.

The tool is so easy to install and run, I would encourage testing its use. 

Some specific areas seem to always be better in Bing from what I have read - New Zealand has been mentioned a few times.  I always fly in the USA or Europe and in most cases Google maps give more detail and more natural colours - Bing map roads in MSFS are notorious for having a green tinge, a problem not apparent in Google Maps.

You mention 'issues' but in my use there haven't been any.  Some users haven't exited the tool properly, leading to entries in the Hosts file that stop Bing Maps downloading, but this is a user issue that is easily rectified.

• Like 2

Much prefer Google. Appears to be much less terrain popping. Maybe the Google servers move the textures faster ?

Depends on where you are. This is the area around Kodiak .spacer.png

Zoomed in at the airport:

spacer.png

Edited by desbean

11 minutes ago, desbean said:

Depends on where you are

This is true. Nice to have options though,  and it's such an easy swap between the two now.

I've found most mountain ranges look much better with google. Rockies, Alps, Himalayan. The exception is New Zealand. Bing definitely wins there.

The limitations and expense involved in photographing the entire earths surface mean that we'll probably always have to deal with differing quality. 

That and how they collect the photogrammetry images are fascinating subjects, if you have some time to look into them as it's an amazing achievement. 

It has helped me come to peace with what we have too. Now if only they could get it to a size where we could download it rather than stream it..

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

In game i've looked at my street using bing and google and google is more up to date and appears to use a higher quality of textures, so i use google now.

• Like 1