Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Metal on my mind...

Painting bare metal with PBR is tough....but it rewards you as you pan around the aircraft and see the surrounding environment reflecting off that shiny metal.  

This was the last 767 I flew on before they retired them, taking of as the sun gets low on the horizon.

2tbORx.png

Don't mind the upside down reg, the painter was in a hurry and was really focusing on dialing in the metal textures in these shots. 😉 

Here she is showing off that shiny metal at sunset..the airport lights reflecting off the fuse with angry skies ahead...love the orange glow on the fuse.

jYytxi.png

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Magnificient work, Steve!!

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Wow, excellent job!

• Like 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

As always...incredible effects Steve!

I found this photo last week and thought about you and Thibodeaux...and what you guys could do for this one.

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/481021/n422la-florida-west-international-airways-boeing-767-346fwl

Unfortunately the CS B767F is a CF, not a factory F. (The windows recesses are part of the external model, not part of the bump maps.)

• Like 1

Thanks guys....took me all morning just to get the stripes wrapped around the nose....not fun, but came out ok.

vqPgyR.png

@rmeier I painted that one on the LDS model years (decades?) ago.  Sadly I don't really have any motivation to paint any other CS 767s for the community other than this AA bare metal as we know they did the freighter fans really wrong.  I only bought the base pack to see how she was as an aircraft, and she is actually pretty nice and for $9.99, a bargain really.  I was completely shocked that they offered this one up in the $9.99 sale, as they are asking $130 for it normally.  I can only deduce that they are completely done with P3d development, but they aren't brave enough to tell the P3d customers they are stringing along.

I'm painting this one because its one of my favorites, and I will share it with the community and let other painters use the metal textures Brian and I developed and refined with the Leonardo Maddog (it was the 1st to showcase PBR in P3D).  Hopefully someone will pick up Florida West after they get a hold of my metal maps? (maybe you?) 😉

Besides...this one needs a stablemate. 🙂

jDM6uE.jpg

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Just now, NWATech said:

@Steve Dra oh yeah, Lawndart!

Yeah....miss them in the sky overhead at my home just NE of DFW....and this was my 1st PBR Bare metal project.   The metal techniques I used on it were prehistoric compared to how Brain and I refined the process when we moved to the PMDG birds.  With Leonardo jumping into MSFS, you can bet you'll see her revived (and revised/refined) when she lands on the new platform. 😉 

• Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

That AAL livery looks incredible!!! I don't have the courage/patience for metal work like that...but I am curious to review your metal textures.

Sorry to hear you won't be painting anymore CS B767 liveries...but I do understand.

Before I do any new ones, I need to get back and do a couple of texture fixes on the Air Canada Free Spirit livery as well as the Air New Zealand one. With your help, I may go back to review the underside metal work on the Varig repaint as well.

I have a long list of "want to do's"...not sure how many I'll get to...this list doesn't even include the ones I thought you'd be certain to pick-up...Lufthansa, KLM and LTU to name but three.

My wish list/to-do list (in no specific order) is as follows:

N395CM - ATI Cargo

N399CM - Aloha Air Cargo

N351CM - Stratair

DQ-FJC - Air Pacific

N706KW - Eastern

VH-OGI - Australian Airlines

B2500 - Shanghai Airlines

...and there are so many more liveries that have caught my eye...I'm sure I'll burn-out before the list is complete!!!

Edited by rmeier
  • Like 1

Outstanding work Steve!

Sadly, I did not get the CS767 on sale but I did get the 777 and 777F- AA hint hint 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skully said:

Outstanding work Steve!

Sadly, I did not get the CS767 on sale but I did get the 777 and 777F- AA hint hint 😉

Hehe...we're at somewhat of a conundrum as I only have the PMDG 777 and a paint hangar stuffed full of planes.  We gotta' get you painting...that would solve EVERYTHING! 🙂

Next time I'm in Vegas I'll bring my laptop and masters and show you all you need to know. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

30 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Hehe...we're at somewhat of a conundrum as I only have the PMDG 777 and a paint hangar stuffed full of planes.  We gotta' get you painting...that would solve EVERYTHING! 🙂

Next time I'm in Vegas I'll bring my laptop and masters and show you all you need to know. 😉

Hey buddy, I'm willing to take a look but I think your level of work is way above my pay grade! 😵

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skully said:

Hey buddy, I'm willing to take a look but I think your level of work is way above my pay grade! 😵

Naw....just need time and patience 🙂

Took me most of the day to get the engines, wings and the 2nd fuse map done...this is how she looks now (as he shows more of the plane...hehe....maybe you'll see the tail tomorrow.) 🙂

CZoJ9b.png

26TwqX.png

Edited by Steve Dra
added pics
  • Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg