Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Kodiak Cockpit Camera Views

Picked up the Kodiak today.  Spent about 30 minutes of familiarization in the cockpit this afternoon and was very surprised to find that Simworks did not provide dedicated camera view of the MFD.  My 73 year old eyes seem to need that.  Has anyone here replaced another view with one of the MFD and willing to share?  With my Honeycomb Bravo I do not need the provided camera view of the quadrant so I could sub in an MFD view.  I also anticipate little use of the cockpit overhead view.  I can pan up there and back when seldom needed.  I have zero experience in creating a camera view to replace another.  Any assistance would be highly appreciated!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'm planning on working on this very issue tonight. I'll return with my results if I'm successful.

Yeah. Surprising they didn't provide worthwhile camera views.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I found this information that might give you a means of setting things up.

Reading this knocked some neurons loose and I recall the process now. You assign views to Custom cameras. Then you assign the various views to a button or key press. A two step process...

And, the article I linked to is no longer accurate. You press Right Ctrl + Number (not numpad number) to assign a view to a custom camera. I guess Asobo/MS changed that some time ago...I guess. Who knows, man.

OK. That doesn't work either. I give for now. I feel my Bp rising rapidly.

Edited by RichieFly
update x3
  • Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

This is so easy I was able to do it. Video has wing views and custom camera views.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

From memory I think it's CTL, ALT then the number (not numpad).

I always change the pilot view to a bit closer & assign the view to a button on my yoke.

• Like 1

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

39 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

This is so easy I was able to do it. Video has wing views and custom camera views.

That is expressly NOT what I was looking to find.  In my other aircraft Ctrl+1 is the PFD and CTRL+2 is the MFD.  That is all I wish to achieve.  I do not need to learn about external camera views, or views assigned to other keyboard keys.  I want to pull up views based on a very consistent use of yoke/quadrant buttons. Consistent across all of the GA aircraft I fly.  So I am seeking to configure the same yoke switch to MFD straight on view that is assigned to MFS straight on view for my other GA aircraft (read Baron, Bonanza, C208, and Mooney).

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I just look a bit to the right with my track IR and I am looking at the MFD......

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

10 hours ago, fppilot said:

That is expressly NOT what I was looking to find.  In my other aircraft Ctrl+1 is the PFD and CTRL+2 is the MFD.  That is all I wish to achieve

No problem. Ignore the reply then if it's of no interest to you.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

12 hours ago, Twenty6 said:

Thanks Twenty6 I got plenty from this video. Learned some thing new.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

11 hours ago, fppilot said:

That is expressly NOT what I was looking to find

Well, your starting post says this:

15 hours ago, fppilot said:

I have zero experience in creating a camera view to replace another.  Any assistance would be highly appreciated!

Leading user Twenty6 to offer a link to a video that answers just this question.

To which you angrily reply:

I do not need to learn about external camera views, or views assigned to other keyboard keys.

and

That is expressly NOT what I was looking to find.

But you only tell us in the last sentence what it is you are actually looking for, thus taking the guesswork out of...what it is you're actually looking for:

I want to pull up views based on a very consistent use of yoke/quadrant buttons.

• Like 1

Your only option is to create custom camera views and save them to the buttons you prefer on your controllers, it's easy to do once you've learned it.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

10 hours ago, Ixoye said:

Your only option is to create custom camera views and save them to the buttons you prefer on your controllers, it's easy to do once you've learned it.

Well I have it done using Alt+2 (numbers row).  Cannot find a way to success to assign a custom view to Ctrl+2 as that appears system reserved.  Ctrl+2 is the straight on view of the NXi MFD in all the other aircraft I fly and it is Ctrl+2 that I have assigned to a yoke button.  So unless there is a method to do so the Kodiak will need its own profile just due to this one key combo button assignment.  Just fed up with NIHS creating inconsistency from model to model when it does not have to.  

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

18 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Well I have it done using Alt+2 (numbers row).  Cannot find a way to success to assign a custom view to Ctrl+2 as that appears system reserved.  Ctrl+2 is the straight on view of the NXi MFD in all the other aircraft I fly and it is Ctrl+2 that I have assigned to a yoke button.  So unless there is a method to do so the Kodiak will need its own profile just due to this one key combo button assignment.  Just fed up with NIHS creating inconsistency from model to model when it does not have to.  

it's easy. just change the assignments for the camera. I use alt + number for save camera view and just the number for load the camera view. Position the camera with the up/down, left right keys, to get the view you want, press alt (number you want), then just press the corresponding number on your number pad to get that view. But you can use any variation of alt,ctl,etc you want for the camera save/load assignments .simples !

Edited by petejohno1

27 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Ctrl+2 as that appears system reserved.

Reserved in what way?

If Ctrl+2 is assigned to something with the Kodiak, I would think you could un-assign and then re-assign it to meet your needs. I see Ctrl+2 as assigned to Toggle Instrument View 2 on my system. If you want to use that key combo for something else, then simply remove the existing key binding. Does that not work?

Al

Edited by ark

2 hours ago, petejohno1 said:

Position the camera with the up/down, left right keys, to get the view you want

For some reason I am not having success with that.  What on my keyboard are the Up Down Left Right keys?  I have tried the (4) arrow keys and the 8,2,4,6 keys on the keyboard numpad.  None of them changes the camera position.

Frank Patton
ASUS