Sign in to follow this  
MammyJammy

New P3D 5.3+ Affinity Mask Calculator

Last experience of this afternoon.

Set all the stuff as per advice here in this thread : P3D AM calculator, Process Lasso to distribute load on cores, etc....

Started a flight online from LEPA to EDDF with great satisfaction. Smoothness and fluidity , 50 and even more FPS (limited at 60) , CPU at 70/80 % average .

After one hour or so, flying over the Alps, no airports nearby , no traffic around, no heavy sceneries, nothing, suddenly P3D started to stutter, pause and finallly CTD.
No way to restore. Tried to stop AS with no results.

It's really frustrating. P3D 5.3 HF1 is a wonderful sim, but LM MUST do something to solve this issue.

Maurizio

spacer.png   Como (Italy )   www.sim737ng.it

I9-13900kf-Asusz790-32GB GSkill-Rtx4080-MSFS/P3Dv6-3xBenq1080ST-Win10-Prosim3.26-AS-Envtex-Envshade-Orbx basepack,OpenLC Europe-CPFlight hardware-RSP TQ-Always on Vatsim

banner2.jpg

24 minutes ago, MAUCINTI said:

Last experience of this afternoon.

Set all the stuff as per advice here in this thread : P3D AM calculator, Process Lasso to distribute load on cores, etc....

Started a flight online from LEPA to EDDF with great satisfaction. Smoothness and fluidity , 50 and even more FPS (limited at 60) , CPU at 70/80 % average .

After one hour or so, flying over the Alps, no airports nearby , no traffic around, no heavy sceneries, nothing, suddenly P3D started to stutter, pause and finallly CTD.
No way to restore. Tried to stop AS with no results.

It's really frustrating. P3D 5.3 HF1 is a wonderful sim, but LM MUST do something to solve this issue.

Maurizio

Maurizio, did you notice what your GPU was doing at time of the CTD ?

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

@MAUCINTI, try limiting your fps to 30 using Nvidia control panel. I have a 30Hz 4K monitor and have not experienced this problem at all.

Also, a paid version of FSUIPC has Autosave which allows you to load a saved flight.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Process Lasso isn't my cup of tea regarding software to put it mild

FSUIPC paid version, can also assign affinity mask to programs...

Programs: facilities to load and run additional programs

AM=n A processor code affinity mask can be specified for each program individually. This is by
inserting an extra parameter in the form:
AM=n with n in decimal, or
AM=Xn with n in hexadecimal

Cheers,

Edited by awf

André

Using default CFG , and PL off loading the usual addons AS,/ASCA, GSX couatl  Orbx Global , Euro LC , navigraph charts , chaseplane 

iam getting good results leaving P3D on cores 2-5 and O/S stuff  mainly on 0 and 1 , and addons mainly on 7-8

CPU 9700k 

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=255
P3DCoreAffinityMask=255
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4
[MAIN]
UPGRADE_PROCESS_PRIORITY=0

I have to install AIM and AIG companion , more testing required , but good performance and little lag , pretty low CPU and GPU usage overall , however taxying out from T2G LFPG my FSL A230 SL taxi lights almost did not light up at all, but i guess that a different issue 

Correction !, Orbyx global and Euro LC is what i have installed and are not subject to PL my mistake 

Edited by sonny147
added

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Just now, awf said:

Process Lasso isn't my cup of tea regarding software to put it mild

Cheers,

How is your reply connected to my suggestion to MAUCINTI? 🤔

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

How is your reply connected to my suggestion to MAUCINTI? 🤔

Was more to add the capabilities of FSUIPC sorry Ray for the confusion and adjusted my message...

Edited by awf
  • Like 1

André

No Ray , not in anyway , just my latest observations for anyone with a 9700k ( or very similar)  thats all ?, I only Maucinti about his GPU because i have the same one ( 1080ti)

9 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

No Ray , not in anyway , just my latest observations for anyone with a 9700k ( or very similar)  thats all ?, I only Maucinti about his GPU because i have the same one ( 1080ti)

This is very confusing. What post from me are you replying to? My question was directed to @MAUCINTI.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray iam so sorry i posted this on the wrong thread , it was was meant for  " horrible fps" thread, apologies no wonder your confused ( old age me that is not you lol ) can you port it over for guys with a 9700k ?

3 hours ago, sonny147 said:

i suppose someone's checked navigraph simlink ?

3 hours ago, sonny147 said:

i suppose someone's checked navigraph simlink ?

If you’re asking does it work yes it works well, if your asking does it have anything to do with the stuttering/freezing issue I sincerely doubt it since on the P3D forum it has presented itself with even a clean install with nothing else added. 

Joe

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, sonny147 said:

Maurizio, did you notice what your GPU was doing at time of the CTD ?

Unfortunately no, I didn't notice GPU situation....

Maurizio

spacer.png   Como (Italy )   www.sim737ng.it

I9-13900kf-Asusz790-32GB GSkill-Rtx4080-MSFS/P3Dv6-3xBenq1080ST-Win10-Prosim3.26-AS-Envtex-Envshade-Orbx basepack,OpenLC Europe-CPFlight hardware-RSP TQ-Always on Vatsim

banner2.jpg

2 hours ago, awf said:

Programs: facilities to load and run additional programs

AM=n A processor code affinity mask can be specified for each program individually. This is by
inserting an extra parameter in the form:
AM=n with n in decimal, or
AM=Xn with n in hexadecimal

...I have no idea how I was unaware of this feature given how many times I have been through the FSUIPC guides for users, advanced, and Lua programming/library.  Shame on me!

But now that I DO know about this feature of FSUIPC, we have another new feature on the Affinity Calculator:  FSUIPC6 [Programs] affinity masks!  I'll tweak it up a bit over time to be more user friendly, but basically what it does is provide you a template to configure FSUIPC6.ini to auto-start programs with an affinity calculator that keeps external EXEs away from your P3DCoreAffinityMask when Prepar3D starts.  Said another way, it will set them to run on another core.

Under the section that displays the Prepar3D.cfg lines, you'll see a new optional item for FSUIPC6.ini.  It will provide only a template that you can configure by placing the full path to various EXEs such as ActiveSky and others.  I highly recommend a tour of pages 44-45 in the FSUIPC for Advanced Users document.  It will look like this:

[Programs]
RunIfX=AM=129,CLOSE,"<PATH TO ADD ON .EXE AND OPTIONAL ARGUMENTS>"

the AM= will be the cores you have set to the AffinityMask, except for the cores set to the P3DCoreAffinityMask.  This meshes with @Rob_Ainscough video and recommendations from many others here like @Ray Proudfoot.

As a sample, here's one I set up for my machine (your paths and EXEs will differ) and I have verified in Task Manager that the affinities are properly set for the masks I have configured in Prepar3D.cfg:

My Prepar3D.cfg

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=16382
MainThreadScheduler=3
RenderThreadScheduler=1
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=5

My FSUIPC6.ini

[Programs]
RunIf1=AM=49153,CLOSE,"E:\ActiveSkyP3D\ASP3D.exe" "-simVersion=5"
RunIf2=AM=49153,CLOSE,"E:\PFPX_20\PFPX.exe"
RunIf3=AM=49153,CLOSE,"E:\Navigraph\Charts\Navigraph Charts.exe"

Feature is live @ http://izn-flightsim.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/affinity.html

And if you don't have a registered copy of FSUIPC, seriously, go buy one.  It's a fantastic tool.

• Upvote 2

Anyone have a positive experience with settings for a 5900X (SMT enabled)?  This is what I'm currently trying but it just absolutely becomes a stutter fest in heavy city areas, and not much difference in behavior as I move cores around despire getting FPS typically 35+.

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=16777215
P3DCoreAffinityMask=1048572
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

Edited by CaptKornDog

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

3 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

Anyone have a positive experience with settings for a 5900X (SMT enabled)?  This is what I'm currently trying but it just absolutely becomes a stutter fest in heavy city areas, and not much difference in behavior as I move cores around.

You could give this a try, which will set the P3DCoreAffinityMask to only the physical cores on your machine, sans the first core:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=16777215
P3DCoreAffinityMask=5592404
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=1
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=2

It's the "First Free, Physical Only" preset for a 12 core/24 threaded CPU.