Sign in to follow this  
styckx

My entire install of MSFS just vanished

Forward:

1. Never participated in the beta

2. Not on an Insider Preview

3. Microsoft Store Edition

4. Virus free etc

This morning I launched Orbx Central to see if any updates were available and and shocking it couldn't detect any simulator. So I launched MSFS because it's still in my Start Menu (only if I search) and it went to the installation manager portion requiring a 115GB download. The heck? I ALT-F4'ed and went into the Windows 11 apps section and it shows MSFS only taking up 9GBs. (assuming that's my community folder)

So just like that my entire installation was removed because?????? 

I'm over this.. I'm so mad right now. 

Edited by styckx
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

What!!! I bet you are.

A lot of beta testers are having this but....speachless. I feel for you. So sorry. 😞

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

17 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

What!!! I bet you are.

A lot of beta testers are having this but....speachless. I feel for you. So sorry. 😞

Yeah.  This is only a month old fresh installation of Windows 11. For which is only because I was on the Insider Preview before and on the `unstable build' and wanted to get off it which you can't do without a complete system reinstall  and I did it the right way by a complete format and literally starting from scratch. 

Now a month later..  Gone.. Poof.. And I don't even know where it went or why.. I have 1GB unlimited data. Not the point.. This isn't how any of this is supposed to work. All I have left is my community folder. 

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Last Week - Steam told me that my installation had vanished but it turned out that Steam had changed the pointer to the Official library.  Once I told Steam where to find that library - Steam still told me I needed a 30GB updated.  When I told it to go ahead on the update - Steam uploaded nothing and then said my installation was good to go.

This all happened after I rearranged my computer cables, both internal and external, and the Official library ended up on a different SATA port.

Easy to correct IF you know what to look for. 

In December, 2021 Steam lost all track of my Library and I did have to down load 122 GB to make it right.  No idea why the library was lost back then.  It was working fine at 9 PM - the next day at 3 PM I could not load the sim - no installation found??

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

1 hour ago, styckx said:

Yeah.  This is only a month old fresh installation of Windows 11. For which is only because I was on the Insider Preview before and on the `unstable build' and wanted to get off it which you can't do without a complete system reinstall  and I did it the right way by a complete format and literally starting from scratch. 

Now a month later..  Gone.. Poof.. And I don't even know where it went or why.. I have 1GB unlimited data. Not the point.. This isn't how any of this is supposed to work. All I have left is my community folder. 

No backup or system image?

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Yep same full reinstall but my settings were all saved so not too bad.

115gb 4 hours later

AIG manager was the biggest pain as i never back up my community folder.

i do now

Edited by bhx22

RYZEN 7 5800X3D EIGHT CORE 4.5GHZ,  CORSAIR CMK64GX4M2E3200C16 VENGEANCE LPX 64GB SAPPHIRE NITRO  AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16368 MB) 

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Samsung U32J59x (DisplayPort) [31.5" VA LCD] Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD ZP1000GM30002 (ITB)WDC WDS100T2B0C-00PXH0 (1TB)

3 hours ago, styckx said:

it couldn't detect any simulator. I'm so mad right now. 

The "eula agreement" basically gives them full access to your computer to do whatever they wish, want or see fit to do even if the reason is a "false" positive. I'll leave it at that.

Well there goes my copy.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, somiller said:

No backup or system image?

To the first two quotes thanks for confirming I'm not alone.

To the last. This is a Windows game. Not a data center of sensitive information. I know some will defend the game as a simulator that should be worshipped like a Government DOD contract but its no different then installing anything else on Windows. I shouldn't have to worry about removing itself.

Honestly. After this.. And Googling and researching. This sadly appears to not be uncommon. I may just `retire' from Flight Simming and Windows in general and live a Linux life as far as PC use is conerned.

115+GB vanished.. Gone. Without warning, prompting, or explanation.  Inexcusable. I''ve had enough of living in "The Cloud"

Edited by styckx

4 hours ago, styckx said:

... which you can't do without a complete system reinstall  and I did it the right way by a complete format and literally starting from scratch. 

I don't quite understand. You did a complete reinstall of Windows 11 after a disk reformatting? So you deleted the entirety of MSFS as well. Then reinstalled Windows 11 and then reinstalled MSFS anew as well AND, flew it successfully, no problem. Then tried to boot up MSFS again but it has disappeared? Is that correct? Or am I missing something here?

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

MSFS install seem to vanish, just happen to have the same thing.
However, it doesn't really vanish, there is just something wrong with the update/check process.
While the game loads and checks for updates it suddenly came with the message that it needed to install +120GB of data. It also gives you the option to set an install location.
If you point that to your "old" install, nothing is downloaded and your good to go in a few minutes minus the general setting because they are reset to default (all other settings like controls are left untouched).
If you are to quick or miss the fact that you can point to your old install path, MSFS will redownload itself to the new location.

Somebody over at MS/Asobo introduced a stupid bug...:wacko:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

8 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

MSFS install seem to vanish, just happen to have the same thing.
However, it doesn't really vanish, there is just something wrong with the update/check process.
While the game loads and checks for updates it suddenly came with the message that it needed to install +120GB of data. It also gives you the option to set an install location.
If you point that to your "old" install, nothing is downloaded and your good to go in a few minutes minus the general setting because they are reset to default (all other settings like controls are left untouched).
If you are to quick or miss the fact that you can point to your old install path, MSFS will redownload itself to the new location.

Somebody over at MS/Asobo introduced a stupid bug...:wacko:

Ok. Let's say that is the case. The problem is the actual install location is locked down behind Windows security word not allowed which you need to Google to even figure out the location of and properly have access to it.. Which shouldn't be. 

Update in the name of transparency

After a reboot all is well again somehow and my installation is recognized again.. It's like nothing ever happened. I'm thinking a recent Windows 11 Cumulative update which was just released had a play in this. Despite already doing a reboot after it installed.. We'll see how it goes. 

Edit #2: While Orbx and REX see's the install. MSFS still insists on downloading 115GB.. 

I give up..  This is insane. I'll go back to P3D or X-Plane and deal at this point.. 

Edited by styckx

5 hours ago, FPStewy said:

The "eula agreement" basically gives them full access to your computer to do whatever they wish, want or see fit to do even if the reason is a "false" positive. I'll leave it at that.

Well there goes my copy.

Sneaky, I didn't know that. That is an invasion of privacy. I'm sure most of us here have personal or sensitive data that we'd like to keep private. How can this be?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 hour ago, styckx said:

While Orbx and REX see's the install. MSFS still insists on downloading 115GB..

Since Orbx and Rex can see the install, I'm assuming that you originally installed MSFS to a custom location.

When MSFS gets to the Installation Manager screen, make sure that it is pointing to the correct drive and folder. If not, use the browse button to change the location to the correct drive/folder.

...jim

• Upvote 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.