Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

So...Does Tobii now work with MSFS flawlessly

Although not necessary in MSFS 2020, but does Tobii allow checking your 6 as naturally as TrackIR does? I also fly DCS WWII, and I absolutely need to check my 6, often, very often, much more often than I ever do...

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

1 minute ago, TooLowTooSlow said:

Although not necessary in MSFS 2020, but does Tobii allow checking your 6 as naturally as TrackIR does? I also fly DCS WWII, and I absolutely need to check my 6, often, very often, much more often than I ever do...

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

Absolutely - what is different is it not only follows your head but your eyes. On a large screen this can be disorienting at first, but configuration options are coming for the sim as Tobii are working with Asobo.

9 minutes ago, TooLowTooSlow said:

Cheers,

2Low2Slow

Yup, this works perfectly straight out the box.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

1 hour ago, TooLowTooSlow said:

Bubble canopy only, presumably.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

1 hour ago, DylanM said:

it not only follows your head but your eyes

What is the algorithm?

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

20 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

What is the algorithm?

It's hardware tracking of eye and head movement - you can check youtube videos of how it follows "gaze".

While Tobii can follow your eyes anywhere on screen in the likes of Windows, the implementation in MSFS 2020 is more toned down. It will track your head movement fully but the eye tracking is more localised and only moves your focus a bit away from where your head is pointing. For example, if you looked at the very left of your screen with your head then only moved your eyes to look at the right edge, MSFS would have you focusing about a third of the screen in from the left hand side. It prioritises head tracking over eye tracking essentially.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

19 minutes ago, Donka said:

the eye tracking is more localised and only moves your focus a bit away from where your head is pointing

That still doesn't tell me the algorithm. With head tracking, it's clear - you move your head and the view pans in the opposite direction but with the motion amplified. The view moves smoothly and when you move your head back it returns to where it started. This works really well because we have a natural ability to compensate for the head movement (the vestibulo-ocular reflex) that we all do without having to learn it. There is no obvious equivalent for moving the view naturally under the control of eye movements, particularly as eye movements are not smooth, they are more or less instantaneous (saccadic). That's why I am asking. I'm not saying there isn't a good algorithm, I just would like to understand what it is.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

So looks like SU8 beta has added in the missing options. Full 6dof tracking, sensitivity and the ability to disable eye tracking. Great job by Asobo. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/10/2022 at 5:21 PM, Donka said:

So looks like SU8 beta has added in the missing options. Full 6dof tracking, sensitivity and the ability to disable eye tracking. Great job by Asobo. 

OK so like I'm totally stoked about this.  I got a Tobii 5 a couple of weeks ago and miss the 6DoF from TrackIR, and the eye tracking is kind of a nuisance when dialing in altitude settings nd such, where you look at the knob, start dialing, then look over at the altitude setting and it moves the screen just enough to take the mouse pointer off the knob so it stops dialing while you're chooching away with the mouse.  But otherwise I dig it. 

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

16 hours ago, Stoopy said:

OK so like I'm totally stoked about this.  I got a Tobii 5 a couple of weeks ago and miss the 6DoF from TrackIR, and the eye tracking is kind of a nuisance when dialing in altitude settings nd such, where you look at the knob, start dialing, then look over at the altitude setting and it moves the screen just enough to take the mouse pointer off the knob so it stops dialing while you're chooching away with the mouse.  But otherwise I dig it. 

With the new settings available, do you think you prefer tobii or trackir? 

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

1 hour ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

With the new settings available, do you think you prefer tobii or trackir? 

I cant say yet with regard to the new settings because I am not in the beta.  I am stoked over what I hear though, and if it works as described I am sure I will strongly prefer tobii over TIR.  I already slightly prefer it most of the time with the above caveats.  

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

On 2/10/2022 at 10:21 PM, Donka said:

I'm running SU8 beta via Steam but can't see these options anywhere. Would you point me in the right direction, please?

Edited by spacedyemeerkat

6 minutes ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

I'm running SU8 beta via Steam but can't see these options anywhere. Would you point me in the right direction, please?

I’m not running the beta but apparently there is a Tobii menu option under controller settings - it’s classed as a controller much like TrackIR. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Donka said:

I’m not running the beta but apparently there is a Tobii menu option under controller settings - it’s classed as a controller much like TrackIR. 

...and that's about the only place I didn't look! Will give it a go tomorrow - thank you.