Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Guys VR is the future for FS. I can't go back to 2D

2 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Not to go off topic, but how are you liking the realsimgear stuff? It’s pretty expensive but some days I’m very tempted to pick up their gns 530

I really like it. It looks and feels like the real thing. Good quality stuff - albeit very expensive. Sometimes I look back at what I paid and ask myself if I am sane or not.

Either way, great stuff. Just make sure you have a spare HDMI and you aren't already beating the heck out of your graphics card. You detach the 530 from the aircraft and drag it into the RSG display - their software does the rest interfacing the buttons/dials and what-not.

If you have the spare cash I would say go for it. When you have it up and running it is super cool.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 3:27 PM, Dillon said:

Anyone going to VR will find it hard to go back no matter if the display is not as sharp as 2D.  The depth perception in the cockpit makes every aircraft a whole different animal than they are in 2D.

+100 I won't go back to 3D either except when flight testing RXP devices during development 🙂

VR also reveals when an aircraft 3D model is proportionally correct and when it is not (I'm not talking about world scale perception here but relative size of cockpit items, like having a 1/2 size GNS bezel in front of you in a correctly sized cockpit). There are a number of aircraft I won't cite which are showing dimension problems like this which you can't see on the monitor, because perspective projection is making these appear correct instead.

Since you're new to VR, my personal suggestion would be that you try Half Life Alyx... Even if you end up no liking the game much (but it can be addictive mind you), I believe it is THE game to try out in VR. It was built for VR only and it is an experience to live and try once in my opinion!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi Guys,

With regard to MSFS, what do the hand controllers that come with the HP Reverb do? Do they have any function in MSFS or are they only for software games that are specifically coded for them?    

Cheers

Terry

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

14 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

Yep, probably the most beautiful plane for VR in MSFS that I have. In addition, it is so much easier to fly it in VR. You can actually get to those switches on the ceiling without having to twist and turn your viewpoint, or to go through multiple viewpoint presets 🙂

• Like 3

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

But it can also screw up your eyesight long term if overused,

^ that might be more to do with the adult  content people watch and other activities going on while in VR 🤪

Edited by dogmanbird

2 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

But it can also screw up your eyesight long term if overused,

^ that might be more to do with the adult  content people watch and other activities going on while in VR 🤪

Actually, it did give me short term eyesight issues. It was the only contributing factor, and since I stopped using it, all is back to how it has been for the last 20 years. 

14 hours ago, bszuch said:

Custom built....   And then I fly a different plane and none of that panel aligns.......    Yes, for the time being you are using the mouse to interact.  But I am looking above me to turn on the ADIR system, down to the right for the TCAS / Transponder,  out the side windows for traffic at taxiways, runways...   The gloves can't be too far off.   Not trying to convert anyone, but home built cockpits are great for a particular aircraft, but aren't going to dynamically change with each aircraft type.

Well you can save profiles for each type for your hardware. No more PIA mousing of fidgety knobs for me.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

I have been away from flight sims and forums for a while but recently got a new PC with an Nvidia RTX 3080TI and decided to load up MSFS2020. I saw a post where someone suggested to try VR before upgrading monitors. Well, I took the plunge and bought the Quest 2 and Wow! what a difference. The immersion alone is worth the price of admission. I have only been using it for a month and can’t go back to flat screens.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, basher5 said:

I have been away from flight sims and forums for a while but recently got a new PC with an Nvidia RTX 3080TI and decided to load up MSFS2020. I saw a post where someone suggested to try VR before upgrading monitors. Well, I took the plunge and bought the Quest 2 and Wow! what a difference. The immersion alone is worth the price of admission. I have only been using it for a month and can’t go back to flat screens.

Yep even better  in dcs 🙂

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Here is my own experience with a recent purchase of an Oculus Quest 2 :

When you are at the first time with your VR-3D experience, you cannot believe it,  Yes, the immersion is here and  it is quite a big change compared to the 2D display!  

To have a good VR resolution, you need probably a strong configuration. Mine is not the best, although everything is more than OK in 2D without VR  : I7-9750H, Nvidia RTX 2060.  I can accept, right now, the benefit of having a "poor" resolution in VR-3D given the realistic experience. 

But my main problem right now is how to control the aircraft.  The oculus controllers are supported, but for instance I was never able to change  the altitude settings of the Airbus using the oculus controllers independently of the settings used ( cockpit interaction system "LOCK") .  Having my thrustmaster in touch  or not very far (I cannot see my own real space around me when isolated with the VR headset) , it is OK for basic controls (joysticks, throttles), but quite difficult to locate some others buttons...

Any feedback concerning the interaction of the VR user with the cockpit ?

27 minutes ago, bahuga said:

When you are at the first time with your VR-3D experience, you cannot believe it,  Yes, the immersion is here and  it is quite a big change compared to the 2D display!  

To have a good VR resolution, you need probably a strong configuration. Mine is not the best, although everything is more than OK in 2D without VR  : I7-9750H, Nvidia RTX 2060.  I can accept, right now, the benefit of having a "poor" resolution in VR-3D given the realistic experience. 

But my main problem right now is how to control the aircraft.  The oculus controllers are supported, but for instance I was never able to change  the altitude settings of the Airbus using the oculus controllers independently of the settings used ( cockpit interaction system "LOCK") .  Having my thrustmaster in touch  or not very far (I cannot see my own real space around me when isolated with the VR headset) , it is OK for basic controls (joysticks, throttles), but quite difficult to locate some others buttons...

It took me a week or two tops to muscle memory my setup. With the VR HMD staying on.
I found no reason to have to remove the headset afterwards especially with a HOTAS setup that has over 25 buttons of real estate to setup hotkeys.

700cdf993e1106f1cbecfd62682fe68dd93c4a53

Within a month I was also able to use a Rii mini keyboard without removing the VR HMD.
These are very handy for VR when still needing keyboard and mouse functions in flight sims like MSFS because devs felt a LOW EFFORT 2d mouse implementation that works for pancake mode would be sufficient for VR.🙃

I don't have any room for mouse/keyboard support on my setup stand, so I keep one of these within hands reach. They also help for going in and out of the MSFS window while still in VR to fiddle with other things on desktop or background programs (works surprisingly well without wissing the sim off)
s-l300.jpg

Also as far as Touch Controller assignments this works better than default!

This way you can make increments with ease on autopilot dials.

The issue is now already known i guess. Using of tiny knobs like HDG, CDI, Altimeter as well as the trimming wheel in the C152 by turning the VR controller is pretty much impossible with any degree of precision.

I have found a nice solution for that.

Just assign
“Cockpit Interaction Increase” to right thumbsticks Y axis. Reverse off.
“Cockpit Interaction Decrease” to right thumbsticks Y axis. Reverse On.

Then you can use thumbstick up/down to rotate the knob accurately. Its awesome. For big changes like flipping the CDI to the opposite direction you just use the rotate gesture and then fine tune with the thumbstick.

Now the Aerosoft Twin Otter is just a diamond in the rough as far as switch/dial functionality, reach and implementation. Don't go expecting other payware and freeware addons or vanilla aircraft buttons to work as nicely with the touch controllers as most DO NOT!

Hope this helps!🍻

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

6 hours ago, bahuga said:

I use the Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog and a pair of Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack which gives me more than 40 assignable buttons for all my needs. With all those buttons and my mouse which is right in front of my desk I don't need to take off the Quest 2 to interact with the cockpit. Everything is within arms length and after a couple of flights I am able to reach them without having to look for them. I have all the internal and external views I need programmed and can call up my Navigraph in game panel without issues. 

On 1/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, pete_auau said:

Yep even better  in dcs 🙂

Gees I so wish MSFS could have some of what DCS has. Maybe the external GFX aren't as flash, but the details of everything else, the multiplayer servers and multicrew is fantastic.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:12 PM, flyinpilot212121 said:

Not to go off topic, but how are you liking the realsimgear stuff? It’s pretty expensive but some days I’m very tempted to pick up their gns 530

I have the GNS530/430 and they are fantastic...honestly the fact that I wouldn't be able to use them is one of the things holding me back from buying another VR headset.  I really want the G1000 (especially given that I seem to be flying more planes these days with the excellent G100- nxi) but it's a lot of money for one, never mind a full two unit setup...

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I was teetering on the fence, saw that HP had the Reverb G2 on for $150 off, that knocked me off the fence, mine is on it's way!

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU