Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

Aerosoft Twin Otter Cockpit View Sought

I am trying to set up a keyboard Cockpit view assignment so that I can hit a key & see the overhead switch panel that sits above & between the Pilot/Copilot's heads.

I have tried a 'fix' from .to but can't get it with that, although it appears to show what I am looking for.

Can anyone come up with a Keyboard assignment ?

Thanks

T45

I use the ‘chase plane’ method of named views such that num-7 is pilot view, num-8 might be overhead, num-5 for pedestal, num-4 for FMC etc for every aircraft I fly.

The way this works is you first setup shortcut keys to save and load custom views. You only have to do this once, not for each aircraft.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next jump in the aircraft and get the cockpit view you want. Start by using one of the pre-set views (ctrl-1, ctrl-2 etc) that comes with the aircraft then refine with the built in camera controls (up, down, left, right, home, end, pg up, pg down etc).

Save the current view to the custom view. (e.g CTRl-ALT-7 Note, use the keyboard 7 not the numpad)

Test the view by looking somewhere else then press num-7. It should take you to the custom view you setup.

Repeat for all the different cockpit views you want.

You can repeat this for each aircraft you fly such that num-7 will be the pilot view you want for example.

You can read more about it here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/guide-how-to-configure-cockpit-views-cameras-using-custom-camera-controller-assignments/171116

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've tried to do this before, more than once, i.e. setup views for the num keypad. But they do not stick. Going to the outside camera and then coming back to the cockpit camera and the assignments no longer worked for me. But I haven't tried this for a few months now, perhaps it does work better now.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I wish the Chase Plane creators would create an MSFS version. I am guessing the reason that they haven't is that they do not know how to make the views stick either.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

i've set up 10 custom internal cameras for the Twin Otter and they work great. This is my custom camera 8 (because the 8 on the numpad is the upper middle one, makes sense eh?).

As the other commenter showed I have simple "ctrl + [numpad_number]" to save each custom view and pressing "[numpad_number]" to instantly recall the view. I can fly around the cockpit and cabin instantly this way 

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fielder said:

I've tried to do this before, more than once, i.e. setup views for the num keypad. But they do not stick. Going to the outside camera and then coming back to the cockpit camera and the assignments no longer worked for me. But I haven't tried this for a few months now, perhaps it does work better now.

That would mostly mean that those NUM Keys had also other assignements. Did you check assignements by "Search by input" or did you try to create complete empty controler profiles and assign just the views to test it out?

Edited by GEKtheReaper

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

OK, thanks, GEK. Seems to be working OK now. I had to clear out some stuff from my profiles to  get it working properly.

In playing around with it just now I find:

1) If I used Developers Mode menu 'Select Aircraft' to switch planes , it screwed up everything up real fast regarding my saved custom views. Everything else works OK except the custom views. So I guess one should exit the flight, go back to main menu, and load a new plane from there to keep from spoiling the custom views.

2) If I exit MSFS with the X in the top right menu bar instead of 'quit to desktop' from the main menu it can screw up the custom views. I believe because it is not rewriting a .cfg file properly when you exit MSFS like that.

3) I found I used to have these type of assignments mapped in MSFS controller assignments. I have no clue what those weird symbols were, they aren't letters that's for sure, anyway I had to clear that sort of stuff out. But it seems to work now even if I exit MSFS and load it up again, the views remain properly. Maybe it will all stay good now for a long time!

spacer.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fielder said:

1) If I used Developers Mode menu 'Select Aircraft' to switch planes , it screwed up everything up real fast regarding my saved custom views....

I can confirm this happens.  It confused me for a while until I realised switching planes in developer mode doesn't seem to clear all of the settings from the previous plane. 
At times, I have ended up outside of the cockpit! :laugh:

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thanks for all your inputs.

I ended up using this add-on:

https://flightsim.to/file/26549/aerosoft-dhc-6-twin-otter-better-cameras

Prior to posting here I had installed it but couldn't get all the views.

Got it to work really well once I figured out the first 9 views cycle through by pushing the Keyboard Q button and the next 9 views appear when you hit CTRL + 1, CTRL + 2 & so on, through to CTRL + 9. (Not the Numpad numbers, use the other set)

The view of the overhead switch panel I was looking for is CTRL + 8.

T45 

Edited by Treetops45
Clarification