Sign in to follow this  
eslader

Honeycomb Alpha: How can I be sure I get V2?

As we all probably know, the first version of the Alpha used pots, while V2 uses hall effect sensors. Obviously, I want that second version. But how can I be sure that's what I'll get when I order? Is there a model number difference I can look for buried in the specs?

I did notice that the prices for the Alpha on Amazon spiked by $100+, which is often the case when normal sellers run out of stock and stupid sellers that can't price things right end up the only ones offering.  And that sometimes happens when inventory is changing over, so is that indicative that if I wait until they're offered at normal prices from vendors on Amazon again, I'll get the V2?

Thanks all.

2 hours ago, eslader said:

As we all probably know, the first version of the Alpha used pots, while V2 uses hall effect sensors. Obviously, I want that second version. But how can I be sure that's what I'll get when I order? Is there a model number difference I can look for buried in the specs?

It has a different name and looks diferent to the old one. It's called Alpha Flight Controls XPC and has a non-removable rectangular front, unlike the old one. The illuminated honeycomb grille is now rectangular too, not round.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I think there is also the X-Box 'X' logo below the magento switches on the new version. Seem to remember seeing that on some publicity shots (although actal production models may omit / relocate this).

when does this new one release anyway?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

11 hours ago, micstatic said:

when does this new one release anyway?

I saw somewhere that it will be released the end of the year.  Can't remember where I saw that.  Initially, they were shooting for the 1st quarter.

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

I thought I had heard Q1 also.  Hopefully not end of year.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

thanks jay.  I ended up getting the boeing thrustmaster yoke instead.  oh well

On 1/25/2022 at 3:33 PM, eslader said:

I did notice that the prices for the Alpha on Amazon spiked by $100+, which is often the case when normal sellers run out of stock and stupid sellers that can't price things right end up the only ones offering.  And that sometimes happens when inventory is changing over, so is that indicative that if I wait until they're offered at normal prices from vendors on Amazon again, I'll get the V2?

Thanks all.

Was thinking of getting the Alpha... is the fact that it is using pots really a bad thing ? I though everyone praised the Alpha upon release ? And if hall effect sensors so much better, is there a particular reason they did not use them in the first version as this technology has been around for many years ?

Thanks.

too much, too soon....

Cost, I'd imagine. There's nothing inherently wrong with pots except that they rely on a direct electrical connection between the moving part and the stationary part. Eventually that will get dirty or worn, and that's when you start to get jitter in the control. Hall effect is a proximity sensor so it's a lot harder to wear them out.

Not all pots are created equal. Some will last many years. I've got a pro-grade radio audio board with pots that was made in the 70s and used daily at a radio station until the late 90s and the pots still work perfectly. Others, like the pot on the twist axis of my Thrustmaster, won't even make it 9 months. AFAIK Honeycomb is using quality pots (though probably not the quality you found on old professional broadcast equipment), but as long as a better option is close to market I'll wait.

I did grab the Bravo, though, which uses pots. There's no indication of any intent to make a V2 of that, and it's got a 5 year warranty so I figure it's worth the risk. I'd make the same call with the Alpha if I didn't know a Hall effect version was on the way.

The issue is not the pot itself, its their microcontroller.  The current alpha yoke has only 8-bit resolution (256 steps) on both pith and roll axes. That’s way too little for 2020 standard.

Edited by pshkong

On 7/4/2022 at 8:28 AM, pshkong said:

The issue is not the pot itself, its their microcontroller.  The current alpha yoke has only 8-bit resolution (256 steps) on both pith and roll axes. That’s way too little for 2020 standard.

I, on the other hand, watched reviews saying 256 is more than enough, and nobody needs more than that, so "2020 standard" means nothing... (according to them at least)

• Upvote 1