Sign in to follow this  
raymar

There could be a new DC-3 in our sim . . . soon

1 minute ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Of course the PNG Defence Force were gifted 6 (I think) C-47's from Australia, later improved to DC-3's for PNGDF operations. I flew on one from Port Moresby to Lae. They were not well looked after and some the troops were just sitting on crates!! All we needed were a few free range chickens strutting up and down the cabin and it would have passed as a set off one of the Indiana Jones movies! So yes I agree, a great bush plane alright!

Cheers

Terry   

I have flown in DC-3 and C-47 in Laos and I know the feeling of being seated on a crate 😁. Goodness that doesn’t make me feel any younger ! A great boonie aircraft but I doubt  she could land on the steep sloped strips of PNG.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Dominique_K said:

I have flown in DC-3 and C-47 in Laos and I know the feeling of being seated on a crate 😁. Goodness that doesn’t make me feel any younger ! A great boonie aircraft but I doubt  she could land on the steep sloped strips of PNG.

I have flown in the DC3 in New Guinea....with and without chooks and it performed quite well in many types of regeons.  I have a liking for this bird as it is the first plane i flew as a passenger in in 1947 and remember it very well.  Melbourne Sydney via Canberra.

• Like 3

Harry Woodrow

And those that could fly cannot because of the unavailability of Avgas at airports in this jetfuel age.

Harry Woodrow

Wouldn't put it past me if Manfred's C-47 shows up in MSFS sometimes soon by a new developer with phenomenal skills at modeling. It maybe a new model all together... who knows. 😉   I've seen his work on other projects and it is top tier! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harrry said:

I have flown in the DC3 in New Guinea....with and without chooks and it performed quite well in many types of regions.  I have a liking for this bird as it is the first plane i flew as a passenger in in 1947 and remember it very well.  Melbourne Sydney via Canberra.

Speaking of Chooks...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

7 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Speaking of Chooks...

Pay attention now......I said Chooks not Chocs...

I bet a few bags of coffee were used as chocks though when it flew in New Guinea.

• Like 1

Harry Woodrow

One flight I flew on in New guinea was from Arawa to Rabaul.  My fellow passengers were a group of locals dressed in traditional costume off to work in their indentured labour for 4 years.  Fortunately such slavery has now stopped. A more pleasant and friendly set of flight companions would be hard to find.  It got a bit cold at 5000 ft so they knew how to fix it,,,,,just light a little fire in the middle of the side saddle DC3.....n need to bother the pilots they had things to do.   

• Like 2

Harry Woodrow

So when will there be more of this breadcrumb trail? I really need to have a DC-3 in my sim....

12 minutes ago, Deimos said:

So when will there be more of this breadcrumb trail? I really need to have a DC-3 in my sim....

Buy the DC-6, its like having a double ration of DC-3 for the price

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Buy the DC-6

Already have that. But that is too much airliner most of the time. I'd rather have a more get up and go plane.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul K said:

Could it be that the DC-3 in question is the AirFoilLabs one ? If so, it's for X-Plane, with no mention ( as far as I can see ) of MSFS2020.  Looks gorgeous, though.

https://www.airfoillabs.com/c47-dc3

Nope. This one is a clean sheet.

Ray

Buy the DC-6, its like having a double ration of DC-3 for the price

2 hours ago, TuFun said:

Wouldn't put it past me if Manfred's C-47 shows up in MSFS sometimes soon by a new developer with phenomenal skills at modeling. It maybe a new model all together... who knows. 😉   I've seen his work on other projects and it is top tier! 

I know several DC-3 enthusiasts that agree with you.  Great design.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I am starting this book today. I was watching this video about how rare the DC-3 and how expensive parts of them are becoming.  Interesting scenes and discussions. 

1723377679_TheDakotaHunterbook.thumb.JPG.cc1a20fa74a2e80d3131b0ccaefec713.JPG

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

3 hours ago, raymar said:

Nope. This one is a clean sheet.

Ray

I know several DC-3 enthusiasts that agree with you.  Great design.

Ray

A few WIP shots would enhance your street cred.😃

T45

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dobee51 said:

I'm surprised PMDG didn't make one. Not much different than a DC-6...

And, I think, they own a real one.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png