Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Overexposed skies when looking down in cockpit

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

Don't have a clue what you're talking about.  The outside world nor cockpit is never completely washed out in midday bright conditions or any other time.  The cockpit image posted was heading into a sunset so of course it's going to be undercooked a bit.  In general the cockpit needs to be brighter I would agree.  

Do you fly in VR?  If not, it is very likely you are not seeing the same effect from mid-day sun that I am seeing.  I can assure you the washed out colors is a thing, as I am not remotely the only one complaining about it.  I am happy the sim looks great for your usage though.  I could forgive the overexposed image when I am looking toward the sun, but this effect should not be there when the sun is high in the sky or behind me. 

• Like 1

Way overdone. I don't have to lower my head down into the cabin of my car in order to see the instruments on the dash, and when I look down at the dash the view out my windows doesn't become so bright that I can't see anything outside. The windows in my car also allow lots of light into the cabin. In MSFS only direct sunlight lights the panel as if there is no ambient light.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, desbean said:

Way overdone. I don't have to lower my head down into the cabin of my car in order to see the instruments on the dash, and when I look down at the dash the view out my windows doesn't become so bright that I can't see anything outside. The windows in my car also allow lots of light into the cabin. In MSFS only direct sunlight lights the panel as if there is no ambient light.

Thank you...perfect explanation.  This is especially an issue in the sim with dark cockpit like the Kodiak with dark panels or Carenado c337 black panel.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, desbean said:

Yes it is overdone to a degree. However, driving in car It's a bit different comparing to flying. Especially when you land or to direction of  sunset or sunrise. Aviation shades are the thing!

af-1024x681.jpg

yzfopikuysd22es8s1q0.jpg

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, PlumCrazy said:

Do you fly in VR?  If not, it is very likely you are not seeing the same effect from mid-day sun that I am seeing.

Nope.  I did however just try GeForce filter feature and you can quite selectively brighten up the cockpit with only minimal change to the outside view.  

Here's unfiltered, bright midday sun (winter!) very dark cockpit.  Note Shadows was at +26% or so:  spacer.png

Note Shadows at -64% with a few other minor changes.   spacer.png

And now with a 2nd filter added, and it's a bit too bright but came alive:spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

P3d was the same too....cockpits sooo dark inside grrrr!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

12 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

P3d was the same too....cockpits sooo dark inside grrrr!

Was? Did they change something?

Edited by Adrian123

8 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Was? Did they change something?

Past tense for me because I don't use that sim anymore hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

12 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

However, driving in car It's a bit different comparing to flying.

We are not speaking of being dazzled when you look directly at the sun like shown in your image but of the extreme contrast gradient variation which makes, in MSFS, outside colors washed out when you look down to your gauges or the panel very dark in the symmetric eye move upward.

About the shades😉, setting the eyedadaptation parameter to null in the usercfg doesn’t work for many.

EDIT

To be perfectly clear (pun not intended) I welcome in a sim the glare blinding you when looking at the sun , it makes sunset landing to the West interesting😄. And Msfs is not very good at it.  But this is not what we are talking about.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The dynamic range of human eye is about 24 stops while the best cameras have a dynamic range of around 15 stops, apparently the dynamic range in MSFS is based on camera with lower dynamic range, that's why we have overexposed skies or underexposed cockpit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oliver Ooi said:

The dynamic range of human eye is about 24 stops while the best cameras have a dynamic range of around 15 stops, apparently the dynamic range in MSFS is based on camera with lower dynamic range, that's why we have overexposed skies or underexposed cockpit.

It seems that evey cockpit has a horizontal line to define the change. It looks binary not even on a 15 steps variation.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Is it just me or somehow Asobo mitigated this effect lately? Can anyone check? I did nothing to my system. I'm very happy with this change, no more overexposed skies when looking down in cockpit.

• Like 1

Alexander Colka

15 minutes ago, alexcolka said:

Is it just me or somehow Asobo mitigated this effect lately? Can anyone check? I did nothing to my system. I'm very happy with this change, no more overexposed skies when looking down in cockpit.

Are you on SU8 Beta?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

On 2/3/2022 at 10:54 PM, captain420 said:

It may be realistic, but as ryan has stated, our eyes can adjust much faster in real life hence making this effect in game annoying. i hope they give us either an option to turn it on or off, decrease the time it takes for the image to return back to a perfect balance of exposure like in real life, or give us a slider to fine tune and dial in as we see fit.

I vote for the slider (Two sliders really: one for intensity of effect and one for speed of reaction).  Not everyone's eyes react at the same speed or to the same degree.

• Like 2

Andrew Jones