Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Nahimic Audio Services

Recently updated my gaming laptop to Windows 10 version 21H2 from version 21H1 and applied several windows updates that were available.

Few days after I started noticing the laptop was very sluggish and that it took a few seconds with the famous rotating wheel to open any application, like Firefox, MS Office, MSFS (plus an unexplained CTD once when loading up to the first screen), etc. Investigating on the issue and looking for help on the net, discovered an application that was causing the issues: it's called "Nahimic Audio Services", that normally runs in the background and supposedly helps in delivering a better audio quality on top of your audio devices. So, I disabled it via the Windows System Configuration App by deselecting it from the running applications and problem solved, my laptop is fast as always have been.

Just to share the experience in case someone is having a similar issue.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I must admit that I have suspected that this program causes issues for some time.  At one time, I removed it but it came back again (probably when I installed a new driver).  I must remember to delete it again next time I use my PC.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

See here (may need login). :

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/212476-finished-with-fs2020-orbx-for-other-flightsims/?tab=comments#comment-1798191

I'll investigate when I find time.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

At one point this service prevented the sim from starting. I use an external dac anyway so I uninstalled the program that uses it.

In my case Sonic Studio 3

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I have never seen this , sounds like some kind of bloatware that PC maker installs. . 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

It seems to get installed with a recent windows update depending on your motherboard sound chip type. Voice attack mentions it as a possible conflicting application and suggests removing or disabling it

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This program is known to cause trouble with all kinds of programs, including e.g. VATSpy or Qutescoop. 

• Like 2

I checked and it's not running on my system. Sometimes, an old machine may have an advantage.😉

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have never seen this , sounds like some kind of bloatware that PC maker installs. . 

It usually comes packed with MSI and ASUS MotherBoards and related Apps.

• Like 2

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

26 minutes ago, edpatino said:

It usually comes packed with MSI and ASUS MotherBoards and related Apps.

Correct. And it's an absolute pain in the word not allowed to get rid of, too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fortunately for some reason I didn't have the dreaded companion app, so I just blocked the execution of the Nahimic Services via Windows system configuration. After restart, the whole system felt snappier. Firefox e.g. definetly starts way quicker now.

Edited by -Belga-
  • Like 3

Seems like sound drivers/devices/settings can have a big impact. There was the recent issue in Sim Update beta causing FPS loss that was attributed to the sound settings.

I also picked this issue up with another item - I have a pair of Dolby surround sound USB headphones that require a driver to work. Once I installed that, there was an immediate FPS loss in the sim, not much but noticeable. It was the only change I had made to the PC between sim sessions so it was the obvious starting point. Removing the driver proved it was the culprit. This is a RIG 500 USB headphones. I can still use the headphones without the driver, but I don’t get the Dolby surround sound features. The issue affecting FPS in MSFS was there regardless whether the headphones were plugged in or not. The driver was starting with Windows.

Of course, maybe we should be blaming this on Asobo if this problem is not limited to just one ‘software’ supplier….  So, if you have some sort of surround sound system software/hardware on your pc, maybe your MSFS FPS is suffering and you don’t even realise it.

And yes, Nahimic is an unnecessary bloatware app. If Microsoft is installing it with Windows update… that’s plain naughty! Never let Windows Update take control of your driver updates.

Edited by RaptyrOne

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

1 hour ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Correct. And it's an absolute pain in the word not allowed to get rid of, too.

Best is to disable it through the System Configuration App in Windows Administrative Tools (and deselect the item from the left menu).

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

21 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Best is to disable it through the System Configuration App in Windows Administrative Tools (and deselect the item from the left menu).

Indeed. However, it returns, despite clearing out the driver store, too. Lots of research into it on the web. It's utterly insidious and should be considered malware, frankly.

Edited by spacedyemeerkat
  • Like 5