Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

GTN 750 choices are heating up!

15 minutes ago, ComSimPilot said:

Hi all,

I'm thinking to pick up the TDS GTNXi and use it with the JF Arrow. Coming from RealityXP in P3D and XP, do you think the experience is similarly realistic with the TDS? Also, do you think there is a chance RXP makes one as well after TDS?

If you had F1/RXP GTN 750 you'll be right at home.  The TDS version is the slightly newer and modified GTN Xi - better display, more features like emergency smart glide (actually works in the sim - I literally ran out of gas the other day and used that function).  I'm not sure what RXP's plans are.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 minute ago, ryanbatcund said:

If you had F1/RXP GTN 750 you'll be right at home.  The TDS version is the slightly newer and modified GTN Xi - better display, more features like emergency smart glide (actually works in the sim - I literally ran out of gas the other day and used that function).  I'm not sure what RXP's plans are.

Thank you Ryan! Great to have your feedback

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

28 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I'm not sure what RXP's plans are.

It’s just not possible to bring avionics based on the Garmin trainer to MSFS at this time. 

…..oh wait 😁

• Like 1

Chris

Thanks @Ajb376 for the info.

Edited by Car147
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

3 hours ago, psychedelic_tortilla said:

Mostly, these are renamings of old procedures and most likely consist of already existing waypoints. In that case, you can either check what the old name in the database has been changed to and proceed accordingly, or you enter the waypoints manually from the chart for the new (renamed) procedure. 

Renamings are correct. And also over time runway numbers change. But virtually all procedures are in the Garmin navdata and are there for you to select at a touch in the GTN. You can select departure/transition, airways and entry and exit points, arrival/transition, and approaches right there in the GTN flight planning pages.

If your external flight planning tool such as Littlenavmap, Fltplan.com/go, iFlightplanner, etc. has an arrival in its database for example as CHIKN3 it may be CHIKN2 in the Garmin Trainer 2104 navdata, but it very likely has not changed except for the number. So in the simulator GTN you merely choose CHIKN2.  Virtually all airports have updated their assets with RNAV (GPS) approaches so few additional (new) approaches are being added.

Now. That being said there are a couple of caveats with the Garmin Trainer in regard to importing flight plans from external sources. The Garmin Trainer has safeguards or filters in place for safety and/or possibly liability reasons.  So the flight plan navpoints and procedure names must match what is in your simulator's trainer-based GTN during import.  In the example above, the Garmin Trainer, with the arrival as CHIKN2, will either reject a flight plan with CHIKN3 or lock it until it is edited in the GTN. 

The same holds true for navpoints that have names that are duplicated in the database.   A good example of this is intersection/waypoint BUNKA on Lo Enroute (Victor airway) V221, just west of OOM VOR  (Bloomington, Indiana, USA).  There is another fix in the world database named BUNKA in the African country of Ivory Coast.  The Garmin Trainer will not choose for you. Instead it locks the imported flight plan until you edit it.  This occurs more often than you might think. You may have noticed in the G1000 Nxi when on occasion it will ask you to choose which region from two or more instances of a name in the database.  It also asks you to choose in the GNS gauges when manually entering a flight plan.

These caveats also apply as your stored flight plans age.  Garmin has updated the GTN Trainer databases on a somewhat consistent basis, usually about once a year.  If you have a flight plan stored in the Garmin Trainer based GTN that was created six months ago with BURPE3 arrival and you update your trainer database, the updated database may now have it as BURPE4.  So the Garmin Trainer will lock the flight plan until you edit it.  Which is very easy to accomplish.

Now I have stated "Garmin Trainer" like a broken record.  That for a reason.  These are characteristics of the Garmin Trainer, not the product created by TDS.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 minutes ago, fppilot said:

These caveats also apply as your stored flight plans age.  Garmin has updated the GTN Trainer databases on a somewhat consistent basis, usually about once a year.  If you have a flight plan stored in the Garmin Trainer based GTN that was created six months ago with BURPE3 arrival and you update your trainer database, the updated database may now have it as BURPE4.  So the Garmin Trainer will lock the flight plan until you edit it.  Which is very easy to accomplish.

I seem to remember an application that I used in previous sims/GTN to make flight plans in the trainer format - it was very easy to use.  I have no clue what software it was - it was free though.  Have any ideas?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

I seem to remember an application that I used in previous sims/GTN to make flight plans in the trainer format - it was very easy to use.  I have no clue what software it was - it was free though.  Have any ideas?

Littlenavmap creates.gfp flight plans.

• Like 1

Replaced with another post.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

7 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

5 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

Yes.  It took me a while to find it again. It is buried as an option in Multiexport Flight Plans options.  Thank you as your post caused me to go digging around again!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

6 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

Under Scenery Library Little Navmap has options to use, or not use, the Navagraph data that the program comes with. I have found that to get the best match with the nav data MSFS is providing, such as when using the WT G1000NXi, sometimes it is best to turn the Little Navmap Navigraph option off, and other times it can be on.  The issue is the relative currency of the two nav databases.

Which brings me to another point. Little Navmap uses the MSFS nav database, and you can manually load Little Navmap with the MSFS database. However, if the MSFS nav database is automatically updated periodically ( how often I don't know ) I don't think the version of the MSFS database that Little Navmap is using will also be automatically updated, but rather the user has to initiate that. If so, it seems periodically updating Little Navmap with the current MSFS database would be a good idea. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Al

Edited by ark

1 hour ago, ark said:

Little Navmap with the current MSFS database would be a good idea. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about t

I have the Navagraph FMS data app update LNM every new cycle. I use it for far more than just GTN planning plus I hardly if ever use import data to the GTN as they are short flights and use the GTN flight planning to create the flight. Ive also used Simbrief with latest Navdata to export plans to the GTN using the F1 GTN export, Ig DATA doesn't match can get a locked waypoint error. Just manually fix it.

Edited by Adrian123

Plane support for the WTT integration and G1000 replacement options

https://pms50.com/msfs/aircrafts/

ns

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER