Sign in to follow this  
Starlifter60

SU8 and the Vacuum Cleaner in My Plane

Using AIG here, vacuum in my Arrow also.  Definitely something with SU8 and AIG interaction.  Never happened before.

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

it sounds like a scream by somebody who is bitten by a vampire…

That will just be the wife when you buy her a new vacuum cleaner for her birthday….🤣

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

16 hours ago, Farlis said:

Another way to mitigage the problem is to switch "Headphone Simulation" on.

I found that it got switched off

Yep. I found the same thing happened to me which explains why I only heard AI sounds during my first flight after the update.  Once I discovered this and reenabled headphone simulation in settings I've had no issues and still have AI sounds in exterior view modes. 

I still firmly suspect that Asobo has enabled more parameters in Legacy sounds SDK which will affect every AI plane that doesn't use the new Wwise sound protocols - which is very different compared to the old system.    

Regards, Kendall

I made a few more tests:

- C172 at ramp KSFO, AIG TC running, I just had to taxi a few meters for the vacuum cleaner to start. I closed TC and the vauum cleaner disappeared (expectedly)

- Now I left TC closed and activated internal AI traffic (AI Offline). This is more sparse thus it took some time for the vacuum cleaner to come up again, but it finally did. After waiting for some time and looking around I found a jet quite far away (but still static on the airport) which seemd to be the source. Waited and after some time that plane disappeard into the thin air - and with it the vacuum cleaner.

- Now I switched Headphone simulation on (which was off by default). Restarted the sim with AIG, this time with Headphone simulation on. No vacuum cleaner came up but the normal AI jets were also hard to hear. Must be a noice-cancellation headphone. - Does anyone recall if we had this headphone option before SU8?

Still unclear to me what's really happening.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This sound issue is actually the result of a bug fix just released and (hopefully) will be corrected in SU9. 

This post at the dev forum confirms my suspicions that legacy cockpit sounds were, in fact, enabled in this update, but, despite this problem being identified in beta, there is a confirmed issue with attenuation that wasn't fixed before release. 🤪

Before I crossed this post,  I had already wasted over an hour confirming with my tests, where I simply removed the viewpoint=1 parameters from the sound.cfg of  AIG traffic and that did remove the offending sounds in the cockpit.  

So,  for those affected by this you can "lower sounds from other aircraft" or use headphone simulation mode in the sim sound settings (which I discovered a few weeks ago isn't that bad with some tweaking to certain volume levels.)

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Does anyone recall if we had this headphone option before SU8?

Yes, this has been available from very early on, I believe.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Regards, Kendall

There are really weird and eerie sounds when you are at an airport without the engine running.  Almost spooky.  Doesn't sound like a vacuum.  Sounds like a ping of some sort associated with something else that I cannot accurately describe.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, irocx said:

This sound issue is actually the result of a bug fix just released and (hopefully) will be corrected in SU9. 

This post at the dev forum confirms my suspicions that legacy cockpit sounds were, in fact, enabled in this update, but, despite this problem being identified in beta, there is a confirmed issue with attenuation that wasn't fixed before release. 🤪

Thank you, this should make pretty clear there's an issue at Asobo's end. The next SU will be ... let me check... oh no, no date given yet.😟

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

32 minutes ago, pmb said:

Thank you, this should make pretty clear there's an issue at Asobo's end. The next SU will be ... let me check... oh no, no date given yet.😟

Kind regards, Michael

And that pretty much rules out AIG for me until SU9 then. A hotfix is in order.

Edited by jarmstro

21 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

And that pretty much rules out AIG for me until SU9 then. A hotfix is in order.

Does it not happen without AIG for you? Makes no difference to me, installed or not I get the noise

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

3 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Does it not happen without AIG for you? Makes no difference to me, installed or not I get the noise

I don't get the noise without AIG. I believe AIG uses legacy sound. I expect you would have to get rid of the two community AIG folders though?

11 hours ago, pmb said:

Does anyone recall if we had this headphone option before SU8?

It was there from release and I used it as such. Never flew without it.

I was surprised by this thread because I did not experience that disturbance after SU8, the reason being that checking my settings - as I systematically do after a new update - I realised that my headphones had been turned off in the settings post SU8, so resetting them ON, I was back to my previous situation and never heard that "vacuum cleaner" noise in my cockpits... I never fly without headphones!

• Like 1

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

34 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I don't get the noise without AIG. I believe AIG uses legacy sound. I expect you would have to get rid of the two community AIG folders though?

no idea sorry

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

36 minutes ago, Bernard Ducret said:

I was surprised by this thread because I did not experience that disturbance after SU8, the reason being that checking my settings - as I systematically do after a new update - I realised that my headphones had been turned off in the settings post SU8, so resetting them ON, I was back to my previous situation and never heard that "vacuum cleaner" noise in my cockpits... I never fly without headphones!

aahh yes I wonder if my settings had got changed, will check now (I use VR so headphones as well)

Edit: Yep Headphone Simulation was set to OFF, but I can't recall exactly if I used this setting prior to SU8, I'll turn it ON and see what happens later

Edited by MarcG