Sign in to follow this  
Muklum

Is Anyone NOT getting blurries with SP-1?

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) I always get the blurries after a few VBs as well (...)"Me bloody oath, so did I! But then again, try some of the Queensland #### like XXXX: gives you the blurries the very moment you wrap yourself around it, not to mention the incontrollable urge to spit it out! Mind, I did like Queensland, but when it comes to beer, I surely prefer Victoria.Got a confession to make though: I once worked for the Bulimba brewery, and NEVER did I turn down the odd free bottle (grin)!Yahrp.

Guest jaapverduijn

Bloody ####, those Merkins don't even allow you to post perfectly normal Aussie vernacular for "beer". Yanks seem to think they bloody OWN the lingo! Bloke can't even express himself here the way his Mom taught him...

Guest jaapverduijn

The "####" in the previous message wasn't my doing, but again that moronic software doing a Jerry Falwell on the free peoples of this world... (sad grin)!All you blokes and sheilas who have had it with this nonsense: join me at http://www.2lazy2fail.com where ALL varieties of the Pommie lingo are welcome - not only the US dialect.Yahrp.

Guest cwright

That's right. It's important to bear in mind that there are two types of blurred textures.Blurred textures first became a major problem with CFS2 (remember it? It was excellent, while CFS3 was a disaster). After seeing the problem I was concerned that the forthcoming new version of FS (FS2002?) would have the same problems, as it used the same engine.Unfortunately this is what happened. With FS2002 blurred textures became a big issue and I spent a *lot* of time investigating it. I noticed that there was some confusion between the different types of blurriness. I wrote a post to point this out. I used two terms: 'dynamic blurred textures' and 'static blurred textures'. The term 'dynamic blurred textures' (or 'dynablurs') became widely used. It's probably fallen out of use more recently because the later versions of FS were greatly improved in this respect. But with SP1 it looks like the dynablurs are back!The two types of blurred textures are easily defined:Static blurred textures: can be caused by FS or display card settings that might, for instance, force low resolution mipmaps to be displayed close to the aircraft. If you pause the sim the textures will never become sharper, hence the term 'static'.Dynamic blurred textures: these occur if the texture update process cannot keep up with the aircraft speed. These effects change with time, hence the term 'dynamic'. For example, if you pause the sim then after a few tens of seconds the textures will sharpen up as the update process catches up. Dynablurs can be improved by increasing the fiber setting or reducing the frame rate limit. Reducing other settings will also help, as more time is available for the texture update process.I'm sure that the blurred textures apparently caused by SP1 (for many users if not all) are of the dynamic variety. That's certainly what I see. It most obviously affects textures immediately surrounding the aircraft. It has little to do with blurred textures seen on distant mountains, for example.There's a simple test for the dynablurs. If the textures surrounding the aircraft are blurred, simply hit the pause key. If, after a few tens of seconds, the textures sharpen up and return to full quality, then it's the dynablurs. Some people have reported that it may take minutes, which indicates very poor texture update speeds.As has been said, it's very important to distinguish between the two types of blurries, otherwise there will be a lot of confusion.Best regards, Chris

>blurries that CAN be changed/improved.>>You're kinda blurring the issue, son (grin)!>>Be well!>>Jaap. Jaap :-lol how old are you to call me son ;-)Andr

André

Tom, I noticed you don't check antialiasing, just wondering if you fly in windowed mode? Unless I have application controlled set on the nVidia control panel I get massive stutters without it checked in full screen. I wonder since you have an ATI card if that is an Nvidia issue. Ian.

well its not that everyone without the blurries is out there enjoying the sim its just that i never really bothered to look. I get in the plane and fly, isnt that what it is all about. I am enjoying FSX and will, blurries or no blurries. Microsoft no matter how big they are cannot and very likely will not be able to solve all the issues. From what Phil has said, there is compromise and there always will be in any game. Just look at the Silent hunter 4 forum. FSX does a good job and very well. But it seems to me that these new games are going to force people to learn about their machines or dissapear from the gaming arena. And no im not sucking up to microsoft, If i could fly FSX on something other then a microsoft product i would, but I must say thanks to Phil and the team for all the effort that they have put in to make a great sim.David

I agree that everyone gets them, especially when switching to an AI craft, then switching back to the user plane. I got that pre and post SP1, it's the nature of the beast. The difference is that on my machine the textures come back fast, within 2 to 5 seconds which is about 20 seconds faster than pre-sp1. There has to be something in common with all those getting blurries, not the normal distant blurries, but the blurries close to the aircraft. Maybe it would be easier if all those who have the blurries to list what other programs they have running, services, OS, Graphics driver etc.... there's got to be a common ground. Did they delete all the folders including the folder with FSX.cfg and scenerey.cfg, and delete the fsx folder before installing SP1? Could it be antivirus software? etc..... so many variables.Maybe use a program like smartclose to shut down all programs and services and see if that eliminates the problem. If we can find a common thread among those who have the blurs then we can erradicate the problem.Ian.

Just curious if you have antialiasing unchecked in FSX? Seems to cause massive stutters and fps fluctuations in full screen mode for me. If I set the Nvidia control panel to application controlled or check antialiasing in FSX it fixes the problem.Ian.

Guest jaapverduijn

Hi granddad (grin)! I'm 61...Cheers!Jaap.

>Hi granddad (grin)! I'm 61...>>Cheers!>>Jaap.:-lol then you may say it to me at 44 ;-) heheheheAndr

André

>Tom, I noticed you don't check antialiasing, just wondering>if you fly in windowed mode? Unless I have application>controlled set on the nVidia control panel I get massive>stutters without it checked in full screen. >>I wonder since you have an ATI card if that is an Nvidia>issue. >>Ian.No I fly full screen! I find I lose a couple of frames flying windowed! No problem with AA or AF!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I know this is like using a "cross to a vampire" to some, but has anyone with the blurries, tried reducing their screen resolution! I have to limit mine because my projector doesn't support higher, (Although I get to fly in FSX on an 8 foot screen!!) but I also don't have the issues being posted.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

> Well, gentlemen (and ladies), I hate to say this but common sense should prevail. We are all running the same code (I hope) but in different machines. As many users don't have the blurries then it must be the machine/software setup causing the issue.After a long thread of success stories, how dare you introduce logic and common sense into such an argument. ...low blow, man... low blow. Back to flying,-Greg

In cockpit I get no blurries. In fact, the graphics are much crisper since SP1. However, I can get blurries with outside views, especially when panning. I can live with that since I normally stay in the cockpit.Randall