Sign in to follow this  
ah2511

PMDG Update

33 minutes ago, BIGSKY said:

So we will have an operational weather radar then?

No, most likely not. WX radar implementation relies on Asobo to provide the required API, which is under work but not released yet. So until then PMDG can't do anything about it.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Program FMC, Take off, fly to 500 feet, engage AP, AT, follow the magenta line and Autoland. Easy Peasy.... 😉

Well... any airplane can be flown that way, especially in the sim, right?  (Sure minus autoland but I'm sure you know that's rarely used when not dictated by wx.)  Personally, I usually hand fly up to somewhere in the 20s, and disconnect autopilot/autothrottles on downwind or base... and when hand flying, the plane definitely doesn't do much for you.  It's almost unique among airliners in modern use, that way.

When I used the NGx in FSX, I flew it the same way in vstsim. It's a little tougher being that you're single pilot, but with a good voice rec program like MCE or FS2C, workable and fun. 

• Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

35 minutes ago, threegreen said:

No, most likely not. WX radar implementation relies on Asobo to provide the required API, which is under work but not released yet. So until then PMDG can't do anything about it.

About that, does anyone knows if we are going to get the same radar as other Asobo planes, since on the feedback snapshot, it's exposing the same bitmaps as javascript.

Or addon maker will get raw data to make their own, FBW had great ideas about that, with the goal to make it nearly the same as a true A320

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Program FMC, Take off, fly to 500 feet, engage AP, AT, follow the magenta line and Autoland. Easy Peasy.... 😉

I'm usually ready for a nap after "Program FMC, Take off, fly to 500 feet, engage AP, AT" so its all good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chock said:

Yes, and I can confirm that everything on youtube is without question completely true; it is after all, where I learned that the Earth is flat and the Moon landings were faked (on Mars). 🤣

Sorry Alan,

I hate to disappoint you, BUT...

The Earth is approximately 71% Water. The oceans and rivers are uncarbonated. So, technically... The Earth IS flat.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Kerry W. Gipe
Savannah Georgia, USA
US FAA A&P / Commercial Pilot Multi Engine Land IFR

Your talent is a gift from God. How you use your talent is your gift back to God.

24 minutes ago, bendead said:

About that, does anyone knows if we are going to get the same radar as other Asobo planes, since on the feedback snapshot, it's exposing the same bitmaps as javascript.

Or addon maker will get raw data to make their own, FBW had great ideas about that, with the goal to make it nearly the same as a true A320

I'm not an expert so someone in the know should correct me if needed, but I think the API is supposed to provide access to the raw weather data so that developers can use that data to feed their simulation of a weather addon. Again, don't quote me on this.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I'm not an expert so someone in the know should correct me if needed, but I think the API is supposed to provide access to the raw weather data so that developers can use that data to feed their simulation of a weather addon. Again, don't quote me on this.

If it's really raw, with multiple data, we might get that :

spacer.png

spacer.png

But I am quite sure, the dev will first have access to the Asobo render, like a copy paste from vanilla liner map. Let's hope we will be surprised in the next few month 

• Like 1

Careless deliverers....fingerprints all over the place like the last new car I bought.  That was supposed to be detailed.  I guess you cannot get good help anywhere these days.

Harry Woodrow

If anything I hope the default Wx radar cna be included, at least. Although, if I'm honest: does it matter in MSFS if we fly straight through thunder clouds? In FSX/P3D it never really seemed to matter, did it? The flight model's interaction with the weather was not so refined, I thought.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

10 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

I'm guessing you're trolling a little

Dude, that flew right over your head. Read it again...

In reality, it probably does not matter from a functional standpoint whether they get their own raw "location of precipitation" data or they get a copy of the stock "radar."  The only real difference is in appearance; the stock weather display is blocky and pixelated, and airborne wx radar is typically (over)smoothed.

The functionally important difference that should exist is that the stock weather display isn't airborne radar at all, but datalinked radar information.  This means that not only is it not live, but it's a different picture of the weather (as it's from ground-based WSR-88D sites vs a transmitter in the nose of your aircraft.)  Neither of those differences seems to matter to the current stock weather displays though, as it seems to actually be live and very detailed, and exist where there should be no ground radar coverage. 

So if a dev were given the stock radar pic and just applied smoothing and stuck it on their screen, it'd be the same thing. Of course tilt wouldn't really work correctly but it never has in a sim, and even MSFS probably doesn't model thunderstorms well enough for that, so it'll be simulated either way. 

Andrew Crowley

Everybody keeps talking about weather radars in FS20.  Not sure what purpose they serve when we currently don't even have accurate wx conditions and depiction in the sim and zero penalties for flying through the wrong type of cloud(s). (which are in over-abundance lately). 

Hopefully, this PMDG bird will "push the envelope" and more will begin to apply some pressure to make  progress in the core.  My hunch is Jorg can't wait for the release as some sort of crowning testament (ie: diversion from the larger issues all while riding the coattails of publicity - "It's the year of the airplane").

• Like 1

Regards, Kendall

13 hours ago, starstream707 said:

Maybe even world peace?

everyone united flying the PMDG 737

Victor Roos

I am puzzle on a reply from Rob :

We have had use-based failures since... gosh... 2010 or so... fluid repleneshment, servicing needs, etc. More than a decade that has been part of the entire PMDG product line.

Can anyone confirm that the elements above are present on the P3D 737, 747 and 777?

17 minutes ago, bendead said:

I am puzzle on a reply from Rob :

We have had use-based failures since... gosh... 2010 or so... fluid repleneshment, servicing needs, etc. More than a decade that has been part of the entire PMDG product line.

Can anyone confirm that the elements above are present on the P3D 737, 747 and 777?

Yeah its all in the options within the FMC.

• Like 3

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda