Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

FBW A320 HARD Stutters

14 hours ago, RJC68 said:

I noticed after SU8 things were not as smooth in the FBW A32NX, 

I used to run Vsync on in the sim @ 30fps and all was wonderful. I found after SU8 the fps reported by the Shift-Z addon were all over the place, they would bounce around below and above 30 fps and rarely be stable. While these fluctuations were happening I also checked my CPU & GPU usage and nothing was being pegged so it made no sense.

I decided to turn off Vsync in the sim and enable it in Nvidia control panel with frames locked at 30. I just loaded the aircraft full of fuel and took off from Glasgow, climbed to FL370 and headed due south. I have been monitoring the sim over the last 4 hours and the FPS have been a solid 30 all the way. I still have over 11 tons of fuel onboard and plan to let her keep flying.

I am not sure if SU8 broke anything with the built on Vsync, it always worked for me prior to the update. I have yet to test this with a couple of real flights but so far it definitely looks way better and smoother turning vsync on and locking the fps to 30 in Nvidia control panel.

It may be worth trying

Richard

What Vsync setting do you run in Nvidia Control Panel? 

1 hour ago, Eef said:

What Vsync setting do you run in Nvidia Control Panel? 

I have VSYNC On (No half refresh rate), and then use the frame limiter in NCP set to 30. I have a 60Hz 4K TV and if I do not limit the frames it will try and maintain 60fps which with my setup in 4K I cannot achieve but a solid 30fps is a very pleasant experience.

I did a 3.5 hour flight yesterday evening and it was way better. The fps were solid the entire time and did not bounce around at all.

I know a lot of people say that VSYNC in the sim has always been broken but prior to SU8 it did work for me.

I will be leaving this as is now for sure as it certainly improved what I was experiencing.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

9 hours ago, MichaelLowl said:

I always had the panning stutter fest with the A320 until I had a closer look to third party liveries. 8k, 10k gosh. It stopped immediately after I reworked the liveries to 2k and it was butter solid than.

Michael

Yeah some of the re painters seem to either have lost their minds or are running very very beefy rigs.  4k is good enough thank you I check file sizes of liveries when i download and specifically avoid liveries that are coming up with ridiculous sizes.

I remember having this interaction a few months ago in the comments section of an addon website:

Maxisone

5 month(s) ago
  •  

I so want to use this livery but something is off regarding the filesize. Way too big. Can you look into this please ?

13bandit 5 month(s) ago

•  

Hi - nothing wrong with the livery. It’s 8k hence the large file size.

Maxisone 4 month(s) ago

•  

Ive seen other 8K releases that are not taking up 2 gigabytes of space unzipped. But thanks anyway.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

10 hours ago, MichaelLowl said:

I always had the panning stutter fest with the A320 until I had a closer look to third party liveries. 8k, 10k gosh. It stopped immediately after I reworked the liveries to 2k and it was butter solid than.

I'm also interested in how you do this exactly.

Tried yesterday with Photoshop and the NVDIA DDS plugin, but just got black textures.

Thats why I also requested Lufthansa liveries NOT in 8K ... hope, someone will do this one day.

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some investigations I noticed that GPU usage is limited by the temperature. 

The temperature of the GPU doesn't go more than 65° and this didn't happen few weeks ago where the temperature was going up to 75° (2060 rtx on laptop)

So I believe there is something that is limiting the GPU power like an option somewhere.

Edited by YouDontKnow
  • Like 2

To answer the question how to rework the liveries: get the free paint. Net. I will post a simple how to do in the afternoon. It's an quick and easy change of textures without loss in visuals.

Regards

Michael

• Like 3

Recently, I had a A32NX livery on flightsim.to with a coffee cup texture of 25MB (yes, the coffee cup only). The default coffee cup is about 500kb. I think many of the 8K, 10K liveries are an excuse for "I don't know how to / I don't want to make performance efficient liveries". They don't need to be 8k to look good (if you know what you're doing).

Thanks @MichaelLowl for posting a 'How to'.

Edited by Watsi
  • Like 2

FlyByWire Simulations

5 hours ago, MichaelLowl said:

To answer the question how to rework the liveries: get the free paint. Net. I will post a simple how to do in the afternoon. It's an quick and easy change of textures without loss in visuals.

Regards

Michael

Thanks, I figured it out myself using Paint.net & DDS plugin yesterday. Let me know if i'm doing it okay.

Resize all textures above 5.462 KB (which is 2048px with mipmap) to 2048px resampling 'Best Quality'. Then save as: BC7 (sRGB, DX 11+), Compression speed 'Slow'. Generate Mip Maps 'Super Sampling'.

Regards,

Eef

On 3/14/2022 at 1:03 AM, MichaelLowl said:

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

Did you ever get around to posting a quick tutorial on how to resize liveries?

I would be interested in doing this. I used to resize my liveries to 2K for my FF A320 in X-Plane 11 using Fast Stone Resizer but it does not recognize the files for the FBW liveries  

**Edit** I actually figured it out using the settings from Eef's post. I opened all the textures for each livery at once in paint.net then went through each file resizing the larger images to 2K. To my amazement I also haver some 8K liveries and one 4K coffee cup at 25mb lol

I am currently in the middle of a flight from MMCZ - CYYZ in an Air Canada Livery which I now know is 8K with a 4K coffee cup !!

As soon as I am done I will drop the new liveries back in and see if they work. It appears that once everything is converted to 2K the total size of the livery folder is around 50MB. I have an Air Transat that is over 400MB 

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

On 3/9/2022 at 3:58 PM, Adrian123 said:

Then that technically is not VNAV mode. Why do people make those statements or do they not know what what true VNAV is?

I never once said it was VNAV. Go back and read it again. Trust me, I know what true VNAV is. 

On 3/25/2022 at 7:11 PM, RJC68 said:

Hi Michael,

Did you ever get around to posting a quick tutorial on how to resize liveries?

I would be interested in doing this. I used to resize my liveries to 2K for my FF A320 in X-Plane 11 using Fast Stone Resizer but it does not recognize the files for the FBW liveries  

**Edit** I actually figured it out using the settings from Eef's post. I opened all the textures for each livery at once in paint.net then went through each file resizing the larger images to 2K. To my amazement I also haver some 8K liveries and one 4K coffee cup at 25mb lol

I am currently in the middle of a flight from MMCZ - CYYZ in an Air Canada Livery which I now know is 8K with a 4K coffee cup !!

As soon as I am done I will drop the new liveries back in and see if they work. It appears that once everything is converted to 2K the total size of the livery folder is around 50MB. I have an Air Transat that is over 400MB 

Do the following:

Reduce textures from 4K to 1K

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/210797-reduce-textures-from-4k-to-1k/

There's a dialogue box when saving:

676.jpg.1380d7565ca5dd5d185a45a9ffc27560

Regards

Michael

• Like 1

Over the last few days I have been trying a few different things. I came across a thread on the Microsoft forum about the stuttering since SU8 that referenced this video:

As I had installed the latest version of Nvidia driver I thought I would give this a go. I have been running Vsync on and locking frames to 30 in NVCP for a while as I find it seems more consistent than doing it in the sim but I was running Low Latency mode on "Ultra" rather than "On" as recommended in the video. I also resized all my liveries to 2K and have done a couple of flights now and apart from the odd stutter while taxiing things have definitely improved here, I would go as far as to say my sim is performing the way it did prior to SU8.

I thought I would share in case any of you might find some help here

Richard

• Upvote 1

Richard

mmBbmS1.png

Sadly I'm seeing around 2 serious blocks of big stutters within a 1 hour flight (in cruise). Last flight (which was a night flight) the second one with a final pause lasting several seconds left me momentarily expecting a CTD but it somehow came back from the brink to run smooth again and I finished the flight perfectly. 

I cannot isolate what is causing this but continue to monitor this and other threads for info. Deleting the pushback mod had no effect. 

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU