Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

Boeing 247D

Looks great!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

16 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Looks great!

Indeed they also seem to have a good attitude:

The Wing42 Boeing 247D is an incredible add-on! The depth of the systems and the meticulous detail is currently hard to find on the MSFS market and if this was still the time of FSX and P3D, I would probably set a price at around 60 USD for it.

Let’s not do that, ok?

The Wing42 Boeing 247D will sell for $19.99!

My expectation is that this add-on will sell enough to keep Wing42 growing, while at the same time reaching more people than ever before.

On the other hand, I would like to point out that this is an experiment and as such I will retain the option to adjust the prices for our future products, if it turns out that the low price point is not economical in the long run.

Here are the reasons:

The Asobo’s Microsoft Flight Simulator opened the door for 3rd party developers to publish add-ons directly on the integrated marketplace. Many developers, me included, were amazed by the number of sales generated on that marketplace, where even mediocre add-ons sell thousands of times.

But for some reason, it seems that the prices for add-ons are still on the same level as they were on FSX and P3D. I think we can do better and I want to find out if I’m right!

It is always difficult to pick a price for goods and services you sell. You have to make a lot of assumptions about the number of units sold to make sure that the business can grow. But the price of a product also conveys a sense of quality – which is why an Apple or Samsung phone sells for almost double of what a comparable device goes for.

However, the flight simulator market operates very differently and it’s mostly due to the fact that the platform is still new and the market (especially for aircraft add-ons) is not even close to saturated. We end up with prices that are all over the place – you can find really decent quality add-ons at a bargain, and crappy, money-grabbing husks of add-ons for ridiculous amounts of money.

Over the past year, I gained some experience with the sale of the Wing42 Blériot XI. The Blériot can be considered a niche product in an already niche market, but I still think that the data gathered from her can be useful to deduct some information about the market.

Whether you sell 100 units for $10 or 10 units for $100 Dollars makes little difference for a digital product, but in the former case you end up with 90 more people enjoying your product and potentially showing it to their friends. The only downside is that you will have to deal with more support tickets the more units you sell.

I’m curious what you guys think, so please let me know! Meanwhile, it’ll be developer’s hell for the next two weeks for me…. Buckle up!

– Otmar

• Like 3

Instant buy for me! I might get some hate for this, but I like the 247D WAY more than the DC-3. It's just such a beautiful aircraft and looks so much more sleek to me.

Former Child, Current Adult

Sorry for being a boy who is a fan, but...Wing42 is awesome...I have the Vega in FSX and it was great fun and the Bleriot in MSFS is about as unique a "real" aircraft as you can get. Otmar does the work to bring vintage planes to life with lots of little details that are over and above what most developers bring to the table. For a tiny company what they do is impressive. IMHO Wing42 does development right, everyone should support these guys.

Edited by Target71
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Target71 said:

Sorry for being a boy who is a fan, but...Wing42 is awesome...I have the Vega in FSX and it was great fun and the Bleriot in MSFS is about as unique a "real" aircraft as you can get. Otmar does the work to bring vintage planes to life with lots of little details that are over and above what most developers bring to the table. For a tiny company what they do is impressive. IMHO Wing42 does development right, everyone should support these guys.

The Bleriot, especially the RIP version, is amazing and very challenging to fly. As you would expect with a flight model buy Pamela Booker.

There is every indication this aircraft will be the same quality.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

There is every indication this aircraft will be the same quality.

Could you elaborate on what those "indications" as to quality  might be?

20 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Indeed they also seem to have a good attitude:

After reading that, if I weren't already planning on buying the 247D because I like vintage planes and I've enjoyed Wing42 products in the past, I would certainly be buying it just to support their attitude and experiment.  👍

• Like 1

The people's flag is deepest red.

i was only interested in tubeliners when i returned to MSFS at launch. Over the time it has taken for the sim to develop i have now found a love of GA Aircraft and some of the classics.. this will be a day one purchase,

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

1 hour ago, TASCHMANN said:

Could you elaborate on what those "indications" as to quality  might be?

• 4K textures
  • flight model by Pamela Booker as opposed to some random unknown
  • custom in house engine simulation
  • sticking with 1930's radios and electrics instead of building a "modern remake"
  • WWise sounds
  • the overall reputation of Wing42

plus the work in progress photos released so far look really good:

wing42_b247_liveries02-scaled.jpg?v=6cc9

wing42_b247_wip_069-scaled.jpg?v=6cc98ba

wing42_b247_wip_106-scaled.jpg?v=6cc98ba

wing42_b247_wip_102-scaled.jpg?v=6cc98ba

wing42_b247_wip_085-1-scaled.jpg?v=6cc98

wing42_b247_wip_080-1-scaled.jpg?v=6cc98

wing42_b247_wip_072-1-scaled.jpg?v=6cc98

wing42_b247_wip_040-scaled.jpg?v=6cc98ba

wing42_b247_wip_041.jpg?v=6cc98ba2045f

• Like 1

Been looking forward to a Boeing 247 for a flight sim for more years than I can remember. Can't wait to try it out.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Been looking forward to a Boeing 247 for a flight sim for more years than I can remember. Can't wait to try it out.

Can't wait for your preview on this product. Must buy regardless.

Edited by jbdbow1970

I would agree that Pamela Booker's involvement indeed bodes well.  She has done several first rate FMs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Looks great. Definitely a day 1 purchase.

If you can walk away it's a good landing