Sign in to follow this  
jaytee73

Speeding up the flight?

Not being a person who likes to do long boring jet flights - or any other for that matter - I miss the x2x4x8 speedups on P3D

I dont seem to be able to get the same facility in 2020 

I have a key bound to MISC. Sim Rate -  and note the + and -     - but I cant get it to work when in flight

8 minutes ago, jaytee73 said:

Not being a person who likes to do long boring jet flights - or any other for that matter - I miss the x2x4x8 speedups on P3D

I have a key bound to MISC. Sim Rate -  and note the + and -     - but I cant get it to work when in flight

The option works on my PC. However, I do have a key combo assigned to that function: I have to press and hold the R key and then - or +. As far as I can remember only assigning - and + didn't work somehow. So try a combination, I'd say. (The nice thing about MSFS is that it saves your settings in the cloud, however, this can also be a bit problematic because you tend to forget whatever you changed in the settings all that time ago... 😉 )

EDIT
Take note that there is no indication of the sim rate on screen: whenever you get it working and you forget what rate you are using the best option is to press the sim rate down keys you assigned a lot of times and then press sim rate up twice again: the thing is that -1/4 is the lowest you can go so pressing down 8 times and then up 2 times should always get you at default sim rate.

Also take note that (at least) the FBW A32NX has a limited sim rate option: afaik it won't go faster than 4x and it won't go below default 0.

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

have to press and hold the R key and then - or +. As far as I can remember only assigning - and + didn't work somehow.

I do this on my machine and it works great...  there's no visual indication though - but I had a mod that was working pre-SU8 - like shift z stats or something that would show it just like P3D used to.  You can go 16x or faster afaik.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Sim Rate works perfectly for me and did so since day one. It is limited to 2x on the A32NX, but apart from that... and yes, there is no indication on the screen, you will only notice by the clock going faster.

3 hours ago, jaytee73 said:

Ctrl-R, then +/- on your number pad on the right side of the keyboard.  The addon Shift-Z restores the red text upper left as w/ FSX/P3D.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Ctrl-R, then +/- on your number pad on the right side of the keyboard.  The addon Shift-Z restores the red text upper left as w/ FSX/P3D.

Have they fixed that addon to play well with SU8 yet?

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

I use a yaw toggle so I can use the stick to move in any direction with the pan switch set to accelerate at 2x speed.  I do this mostly in a cruise at altitude.

This way I can cover 100 miles in a minute to chop a 600 mile flight down to size.

Did a similar thing in FSX / P3D.

ns

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 hours ago, Mikeingreen said:

Have they fixed that addon to play well with SU8 yet?

Yep

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

39 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yep

Not according to the file https://flightsim.to/file/16358/shift-z-stats

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

38 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

spacer.png

Noel

15 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Sim Rate works perfectly for me and did so since day one. It is limited to 2x on the A32NX, but apart from that... and yes, there is no indication on the screen, you will only notice by the clock going faster.

Interesting !!! Despite the helpful comments on using the keyboard short cuts - in this day and age - and the proliferation of switches available on hardware - life should be as simple as a bound switch combo on a controller

Would You mind explaining exactly how you bound the "Sim Rate" and to what ! - and The plus/minus shown a little lower in the 

Control panel set up      I try to use the Honeycomb Bravo keys and the plus/minus rotary key - unsuccessfully!

Here's what I do. I have two toggle switches on my switch panel that I dedicate to sim rate.

One switch is assigned two commands: R and +

The other switch is assigned to do one command:  -

So flip the first switch and sim rate increases as long as you hold the switch down. To increase just one notch then just tap the switch instead of holding it down.

Same thing with the other switch to decrease.

It does not matter if you send R every time you send + with this dedicated sim rate switch. It won't act any different. In other words, R is not a toggle. R turns simrate on. R does not toggle between simrate on and simrate off.

EDIT: So, only 2 buttons need to be assigned for simrate changes, not 3.

+ and R (button one)

- (button two)

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

As Fielder said. I just have two buttons on my joystick assigned, one to increase and one to decrease simrate.

In the legacy sims speeding up the sim rate was problematic when flying with the autopilot, because it would miss the turns at the waypoints. I remember writing an app for this, that would slow down the sim rate when close to a waypoint.

Is that still the case in MSFS?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI