Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Repainting the Flysimware 414

8 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Note to self...never do a curved paint again....  one day I hope to fix those nacelles....  the curves on the rear top looks like word not allowed

I hope they smooth those nacelles.  Maybe they can make your work easier to do.  That said, it looks really good!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

On 4/6/2022 at 4:39 AM, ryanbatc said:

I found a lot of the parts but still no luck on those rear cabin door straps, the nose wheel white portions, and the actual grates/vents just behind the cowl flap doors

51986066055_1538becb16_k.jpgWIP17_soclose by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Note to self...never do a curved paint again....  one day I hope to fix those nacelles....  the curves on the rear top looks like word not allowed

WIP17_soclose2 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

WIP17_soclose3 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

WIP17_soclose5 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Did you manage to find the white bits Ryan.

If not...HERE in purple

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

While I'm here, a HUGE thank you to Steve Dra for the shiny bits.

Just so you know, I'm working on C-FHMD which is coming along nicely. 🙂

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

While I'm here, a HUGE thank you to Steve Dra for the shiny bits.

Just so you know, I'm working on C-FHMD which is coming along nicely. 🙂

Oooooh.  Someone helped me find the parts....  N140J should be available in a few hours.

https://flightsim.to/file/30604/flysimware-cessna-414-livery-n140j

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Next.... lol  (dang it...even though I said I wouldn't do curves again)

Rear fuse has the weather layer on still hehe

51989709871_4079f40b2f_k.jpgWIP1_aligned by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

19 hours ago, Steve Dra said:

I just posted the Beige carpet replacement over at flightsim.to for those who are over the 70's red carpet look. 🙂   (no offense to the 70s which I lived thru... or Flysimware's carpet choice which I can imagine is from the aircraft they modeled....I just like the more modern look).

Thought I'd share it in case anyone else was not feelin' the shag look, LOL.

This mod will replace the red carpeting in all your liveries unless they have their own dedicated interior maps C414_INT_VC_SHELL_WALLS_04_ALBD.PNG.DDS thru 06 and  C414_INT_DOOR_ALBD.PNG.DDS. 

Not sure how it will interact with the gray interior replacement online I saw, but if it does and you don't like it, just remove my mod.

Get your fresh 414A carpet here:

https://flightsim.to/file/30684/flysimware-414a-beige-carpet-replacement

EvG12o.png

WcbZJD.png

I see your panel has a darker grey tone, is it a mod  ?

Errr,... Steve,

I love that light beige carpet, I really do. But, do you have any recommendation for a good shampoo to keep it clean as it will get dirty in no time?!...

I loathe pristine liveries and interiors. Life is a dirty carpet. I'm happy to accept that. 

Very nice work though 🙂

18 hours ago, ark said:

spacer.png

Hmmmm...this looks suspiciously like N2744X .  Had I known that, I would have painted her 1st. 😏  Put my gray paint in the back of the hangar until I can figure out the stripes on the nacelles.   Since 2744X does not have stripes wrapping on the top rear of the nacelles...I started this an hour or so ago and almost done.  I'll naturally upload her to flightsim.to when finished.

Ugwxiy.png

2 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Errr,... Steve,

I love that light beige carpet, I really do. But, do you have any recommendation for a good shampoo to keep it clean as it will get dirty in no time?!...

xmnYgt.png

2 hours ago, solito said:

I see your panel has a darker grey tone, is it a mod  ?

It is not...but thinking of doing one in the future...we'll see.  I have a LOT of oars in the water right now...not just this plane.

There is this one...and another big one I can't show you.....yet. 😉 

NiIRK8.png

Steve and Ryan, loving your paint work on the 414, really appreciate it!

Any chance either of you guys want to take a crack on this beauty N8134Q in a classic 414 scheme?

Inside and outside view of N8134Q Cessna 414 December 27 2017 - YouTube

Check out the very cool old school decals at the 2:34 mark of the video!

radarequipped-400x400qbkbz.jpg

cessnawideoval-400x40c9j5h.jpg

Shame free plug alert!

https://flightsim.to/file/30604/flysimware-cessna-414-livery-n140j

51989991255_7b4ab0b654_k.jpgUntitled-7 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

On 4/7/2022 at 5:42 PM, ryanbatc said:

Lovely!

Beautiful Ryan.  👍😊

Bill

On 4/7/2022 at 6:59 PM, Bill Griffith said:

Beautiful Ryan.  👍😊

Bill

Thanks....  may be some adjustments in the future...but I'm going to start on another one with simpler nacelles but some curves still.

Beautiful Ryan.  👍😊

Bill

Handsome livery done so very well. Great work, Ryan.
-M

Great work Ryan. Looks like its fresh out of the paintshop. This goes really well with the gray interior and dark cockpit mod on flightsim.to.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:03 PM, ryanbatc said:

Thanks....  may be some adjustments in the future...but I'm going to start on another one with simpler nacelles but some curves still.

Looking great Ryan!

I'm with you....I'm not doing another paint with multi stripes on the nacelles....I'm almost done with this one...except the nacelles of course!.

ZWkS4B.png

On 4/7/2022 at 7:03 PM, ryanbatc said:

may be some adjustments in the future

the fuselage is creme-white but the rudder and even more so the elevator are grey-ish?

Ahhhh....fresh carpeting!   I completely customized it...not just changing the color of the original 70s pile and texture, but updated the pile so it looks way more modern and updated, and it closely matches the actual carpet in this plane.

I may do the seats, walls and dash when I get tired of the nacelle stripes and need a break, LOL.  I'm thinking I'll release the paint when the nacelles are done with just the fresh carpet and add the rest of the cabin later if I can figure out all the pieces of the interior (there are a LOT).

RZXlvz.png

Looks wonderfull Steve....chop chop...we need it 🙂

I just posted the Beige carpet replacement over at flightsim.to for those who are over the 70's red carpet look. 🙂   (no offense to the 70s which I lived thru... or Flysimware's carpet choice which I can imagine is from the aircraft they modeled....I just like the more modern look).

This mod will replace the red carpeting in all your liveries unless they have their own dedicated interior maps C414_INT_VC_SHELL_WALLS_04_ALBD.PNG.DDS thru 06 and  C414_INT_DOOR_ALBD.PNG.DDS. 

Not sure how it will interact with the gray interior replacement online I saw, but if it does and you don't like it, just remove my mod.

EvG12o.png

WcbZJD.png

just posted the Beige carpet replacement over at flightsim.to for those who are over the 70's red carpet look. 🙂   (no offense to the 70s which I lived thru... or Flysimware's carpet choice which I can imagine is from the aircraft they modeled....I just like the more modern look).

spacer.png

18 hours ago, ark said:

That would pretty much explain it. 🙂  Thanks.

thanks very much for the new Flying carpet, flies much better! 😊

EvG12o.png

WcbZJD.png

Amazing work!! Thank you! I hope your external livrery will be able to download soon, looks incredible too. 

• Like 25
  • Upvote 2

This is why it can take so long to paint....

The top pic is my 1st attempt at the stripe on the nose....its a double compound curve in that area, plus is near UV boundaries, so just like the rear of the nacelles, extremely hard to paint.

Y6kX17.png

2nd attempt at the bottom....getting closer but every time you make an adjustment, you have to load several other liveries, then back to this one for MSFS to refresh the textures....boarders on insanity when you have to make many adjustments! 🤪 

Am I right @ryanbatc ?

I'll post here when my liveries are available.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

A thread about painting the Chancellor - just what I was hoping for. Allowing myself to tag @ryanbatc and @Steve Dra since I admire your work on liveries and you definitely know what you are doing 🙂

I am getting myself started on a full custom livery for the Chancellor... have done some minor adjustments to liveries before such as replacing tail numbers etc., but never a full paint job. I use GIMP and paint.net.

For now I have started with the paintkit from Flysimware, because I like the scruffy look and the weathering, but I am getting some headaches with that approach.

When I add my livery design layer to the layer stack, there is quite a bit of difference in the resulting (tone of) colours of the blended layers between the body section and the tail section. The tail colours being darker.

I have tried several of the blend modes of which most don't make sense of course, and my approach just confirms that I am a novice here. I am guessing it is because the tail is in reality darker/grimier than the body?

Any advice on how to make this work i.e. keep the livery colours the same between the sections AND get the grimy look?

I have tried to place the livery layer at different places in the layer stack, but no luck.

Wrt. aligning the livery across the various sections e.g. the tail and the rudder... is there a smart way or is it just trial and error? 😉

17 minutes ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

A thread about painting the Chancellor - just what I was hoping for. Allowing myself to tag @ryanbatc and @Steve Dra since I admire your work on liveries and you definitely know what you are doing 🙂

I am getting myself started on a full custom livery for the Chancellor... have done some minor adjustments to liveries before such as replacing tail numbers etc., but never a full paint job. I use GIMP and paint.net.

For now I have started with the paintkit from Flysimware, because I like the scruffy look and the weathering, but I am getting some headaches with that approach.

When I add my livery design layer to the layer stack, there is quite a bit of difference in the resulting (tone of) colours of the blended layers between the body section and the tail section. The tail colours being darker.

I have tried several of the blend modes of which most don't make sense of course, and my approach just confirms that I am a novice here. I am guessing it is because the tail is in reality darker/grimier than the body?

Any advice on how to make this work i.e. keep the livery colours the same between the sections AND get the grimy look?

I have tried to place the livery layer at different places in the layer stack, but no luck.

Wrt. aligning the livery across the various sections e.g. the tail and the rudder... is there a smart way or is it just trial and error? 😉

Admire your commitment to tackle a paint....its very rewarding to see it in the sim for the 1st time...and finally get to fly her on actual flights when she's "done".

Sadly I can't help much on GIMP and paint.net...but in Photoshop® sometimes you can overcome the difference in tone/shading by doing what you're doing (moving the painted layer misbehaving around in the layer stack), or in PS we can change the type of layer it is.

MJ51rt.pngBut

But trial and error is the standard method unfortunately. EDIT: However...if you take time to learn blender (which I'm in the process of right now) and paint her in there....you can paint a line from the fuse to the tail and it will seamlessly paint across the texture map boundaries.  But its a very steep learning curve (at least for this old brain!) LOL

I've put this plane in the back of the paint hangar as the "heavy iron" is occupying all my time at the moment, but hope to get back to her eventually....she is my favorite piston twin. 

Edited by Steve Dra
  • Like 1

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

3 hours ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

or is it just trial and error? 😉

You wouldn't believe how many hours I spent on trial and error on N140J.  I hate to say it but 2D painting (in photoshop/gimp/etc) is way too time consuming.  I haven't switched over to Substance/Blender and probably won't anytime soon.

Painting the fuselage halves (on this paintkit) isn't bad - I use guidelines to line up the textures.  But that's the easiest part.  Wait till you get to the engine nacelles LOL.  You'll pull your hair out (and I already don't have much left).

As for the colors I've found the paintkit has differences for some reason but as long as my color is the same on my palette it seems to look the same in the sim.

And just do the hangar view, load a new plane, edit your files, save, then go back to hangar and load the C414 and check your work.  You can also check work in developer mode by swapping planes to new livery but that mode doesn't always save changes.  Hangar is most reliable.

Good luck!

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Thanks both - great tips which will surely get me going.

I'll experiment with the blend modes some more and moving the layers around... maybe I will surrender to the All White livery when I get fed up!

Very good to know that you can actually use the hanger 'live' so to day... it was getting a bit cumbersome exiting and loading the sim each time 😅

• Like 1

Here goes... first version and work in progress! Yes it is simple - but I did it!

Went for a colour scheme that reminds me of the 70's to honour the aircraft.

In the end I went for @Steve Dra's clean white textures (thanks for those) as a start and then managed to transfer some mild grunge from the FSW paintkit e.g. the around screws etc. I like that slightly used look.

Thanks @ryanbatc for the tip on using the hangar - that is a real time saver.

Still need to work on:

*The nose... it's killing me, but need to get a nice transition down to the end of that pointy thing!

* The rudder... getting the livery aligned over the texture breaks is a nightmare!

* The winglet logo is too low quality.

* Then the nacelles... saving them for last 😉

Screenshot-1072.png

Screenshot-1075.png

Screenshot-1079.png

Screenshot-1080.png

Screenshot-1085.png

Screenshot-1087.png

That looks great!  Did they change the paint kit?  The rudder used to be one part.  Grrrrr.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I am using the old paint kit but with Steve Dra’s clean textures as a base. Saw on Discord that a new version of the paint kit is available now...

Edited by SuperKaro2014