Sign in to follow this  
Moron

Runway Lights always stay on question....

Hello,

I'm a new user of FS2020 and I've noticed two glaring issues (no pun intended):  1)  All airport runway edge lights stay on 24 hrs a day instead of turning off/on at dusk and dawn or reduced visibility conditions.   2) Runway edge lights are curiously not visible at all from side views, i.e., when flying a normal traffic pattern during downwind.   It's really quite impossible to fly a normal traffic pattern when one can't see the runway at night.   ;)

Are these two lighting conditions something users simply must learn to accept or will a fix be available sometime in the future?

Thank you.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

number 1 has been probably my biggest pet peeve with MSFS.  It's not just that the lights remain on.  It's also that I perceive them as very low quality and block like.  So that makes the issue even worse.  I remember at one point this link was on the official forum and you could vote.  It had well over 300 votes.  It also showed up on the "investigating" list from asobo.  But I don't see it anymore?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/are-there-planned-improvements-to-make-runway-taxiway-and-approach-lighting-viewing-distances-angles-more-realistic/408956/5

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

8 minutes ago, captain420 said:

That link is no longer working

that's what I was getting at above.  The link mysteriously disappeared and it was removed from the pending change log.  

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Also one of those things I don't understand. I get that it is hardcoded, and therefore only ASOBO themselves can change it. Why don't they? Why do they think other matters are more pressing? The way runway lighting works in a flight sim should be among the top 5 most important aspects.

• Like 4

No doubt this is annoying. Wouldn't it deserve another question for the next Q&A (specifically asking why it magically disappeared from the list). You'll get my vote.

I already made a Q on ground performance after SU9 (which a mod wanted to have under a general performance question, though).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Super annoying... the strobes too... And the issue at night in the pattern is brutal. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the info - kinda figured as much.  Just no. 

MSFS2020 uninstalled, XBox Game Pass subscription canceled. 

Total loss to me:  $1 

Frustration factor avoided: priceless. 

SSD space recovered: 150mb

Prepar3d, prepar3e to be loved all over again.    😘

Yeah this is question that definitely needs to be asked on the next Q&A. They are marketing this as a real flight sim so airport runway  lighting should be a top priority. It's been like this since launch and I'm still surprised they haven't addressed this issue. Are they even aware of it? Has anyone submitted a ticket regarding runway lighting?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Also the lights are everywhere.  In taxiways and all over the place.  I've just quit trying to dodge them and just run over them.

Roy

This question about the daytime runway lights came up in one of the Live chats with Asobo/MS a while back.  The Asobo guys kind of shrugged it off and went on to the next question.  It's a really odd issue and it seems they have no clue how to fix it...

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

12 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

It's a really odd issue and it seems they have no clue how to fix it...

Or another issue they appear to have no interest to fix....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 I agree with completely

2 is airport dependent.  I worked at an airport with directional runway lighting.  It did make it challenging to see the runway on the downwind.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, hobart escin said:

Thanks guys for the info - kinda figured as much.  Just no. 

MSFS2020 uninstalled, XBox Game Pass subscription canceled. 

Total loss to me:  $1 

Frustration factor avoided: priceless. 

SSD space recovered: 150mb

Prepar3d, prepar3e to be loved all over again.    😘

Dang... I couldn't imagine going to Prepar3d just because of the lights. The epic flight on VATSIM with the 737 I had tonight was unreal. The immersion, visuals... it was so good!

• Like 3

Hobart escin obviously has no patience. He gives up in the first month. It has taken me nearly 6 months to get to know even a little bit about this sim. 

• Like 1