Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Horizont line through mountains?

I'm perplex to read in the recent development update/bugs reports: "Horizont line through mountains - NOT PLANNED". This bug is known since the beginning and if I recall correctly, it was always said "under investigation"  Does that now mean that they don't care any longer?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Yeah I was a little stumped by this too, a game with such great visuals and modern engine shouldn't have a line going through the horizon. Thankfully its not too noticeable, only under the right circumstances is it really out there. 

• Like 1

Some time ago, I remember one of the developers from Asobo stating on their Twitch Q&A session that while they are aware of this issue it is not an easy fix, in fact it would be very difficult to fix.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

i am glad this has no priority.  i would rather see them solve the sunken boats in almost all the harbors.

2 hours ago, dikkeduif said:

Or maybe they are focusing on more important bugs first before they get back to this...

Maybe this is important to some people? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, turnandbank said:

Some time ago, I remember one of the developers from Asobo stating on their Twitch Q&A session that while they are aware of this issue it is not an easy fix, in fact it would be very difficult to fix.

Ya sounds like they've looked into it and decided it's difficult to fix and in the grand scheme of things there are higher priority issues that need fixing. I also recall at multiple times when they discussed this specific horizontal line bug they were saying it's buried deep in the rendering code and therefore will likely take a lot of work to fix, if it's even fixable that is... it might also be the case that to fix this means to rewrite that core rendering code, who knows. Maybe those that really want this fixed can post a question for the next Q&A and upvote so that they can speak more to the how/what/why re: this.

• Like 5

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Just upvoted.  This has bugged me for what seems forever.  Seems to rear its ugly head a lot in Alaska wilderness.

LouP

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

I also recall at multiple times when they discussed this specific horizontal line bug they were saying it's buried deep in the rendering code and therefore will likely take a lot of work to fix, if it's even fixable that is... it might also be the case that to fix this means to rewrite that core rendering code, who knows.

Yep, it probably doesn't make sense to address this without a major rewrite of the core rendering. I suppose they have it planned for some point in the future, but I think what we can agree on is that there are many things that are more important right now, especially given that a new implementation of (parts of) the rendering engine for sure would consume a lot of time for a relatively minor return on (time-)investment. 

The line is annoying when it appears (only under certain conditions of lighting and scenery), but I totally understand that it doesn't have a high priority at this point. 

It's beyond me how anyone can come up with the conclusion that "they seem to have stopped caring". Implementing helicopters and gliders (and doing it right) has probably kept them pretty busy in the past year. Two of the most requested items on the wishlist...

Edited by pstrub
  • Like 4

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600