Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

Maddog revisited

I haven't touched Leonardo MD-82 for about month. After updating it up to date I decided to give it a spin. May be it's a placebo, but graphics seems like improved! Combined with FS Realtisc light chop turbulence really make flying immersive . Has anyone else noticed?

unknown.png?width=2235&height=1257

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

nothing unusual to talk about, still upset I paid so much for it, Sound has to be addressed!

• Like 1

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

I’m one of those that didn’t have a problem with the graphics to begin with.  The best thing I’ve done so far is to add the excellent sound pack from FTsim.  The engine sounds are too loud in the cockpit versus the real deal, but otherwise it’s a night and day positive difference.  And to be honest, given the zero hours I’ve spent in an actual MD80 cockpit, I wouldn’t have known it was supposed to be quiet.

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

32 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

And to be honest, given the zero hours I’ve spent in an actual MD80 cockpit, I wouldn’t have known it was supposed to be quiet.

In another life I made several trips in business class on Alitalia's MD-80's.  It is VERY quiet up front.

This is a good reminder for me to take this out of the hangar.  Great aircraft but it almost immediately got eclipsed by the PMDG 737 and Fenix Airbus.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Since installing the FTsim soundpack and buying FSrealistic, I have spent more hours in the Maddog than any other aircraft this past week or so. Although the FTsim soundpack introduces better engine sounds, it has its downsides such as engines audible in the flightdeck etc, but hopefully FTsim will update the MD80 pack in time and bring it closer to the real world. Still its a far better sound pack than the one included with the Maddog (which is awful).

I never stopped flying it along with the Fenix, its just I don't have much time flying in MSFS these days (maybe 8 hrs a week). As much as I paid for it darn sure i'm going to use it, its not like its a slouch of an addon.

Edited by jbdbow1970

There is a texture mod on flightsim.to (there's a thread on this forum about it as well) that helps clean up the graphics a little bit.

Still, I enjoy flying this more than the Fenix A320 and probably more than the PMDG 737. Something about the heavy steering model makes it feel more rewarding to fly by hand. Also with the latest version + the latest alpha version of Spad.next I am able to get all of my hardware panels up and running and displaying the correct values.

Edited by JasonPC

20 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

Since installing the FTsim soundpack and buying FSrealistic, I have spent more hours in the Maddog than any other aircraft this past week or so. Although the FTsim soundpack introduces better engine sounds, it has its downsides such as engines audible in the flightdeck etc, but hopefully FTsim will update the MD80 pack in time and bring it closer to the real world. Still its a far better sound pack than the one included with the Maddog (which is awful).

I looked at FT soundpack for MSFS but couldn't find one for Leaonardo MD. Which one do you use?

22 hours ago, Gilandred said:

The best thing I’ve done so far is to add the excellent sound pack from FTsim.  

Leonardo wants you to pay 90 smackers for this bird, and then you need to buy an extra soundpack just to get decent sounds?

Triple extra hard pass!

Edited by Ricardo41

Personally I think people are making waaaay too big of a deal about the sounds and the supposed issues with the textures, but everyone has to make their own choice. I don't find either of those things to be really even noticeable.

- Aaron

1 minute ago, slait said:

Personally I think people are making waaaay too big of a deal about the sounds and the supposed issues with the textures, but everyone has to make their own choice. I don't find either of those things to be really even noticeable.

At a lower price point most people would be less annoyed but this is the most expensive plane in MSFS and the overall quality of the package makes it difficult to justify this price.

• Like 1

Agreed that the price is a premium one, but sounds in an MD-80 for me is pretty low on the priority list and some folks act like it is (my "favorite" buzz term at the moment) unflyable as a result. For me the sheer complexity of the systems is where the bulk of the development time is and as a result makes up the bulk of the premium price.

• Upvote 1

- Aaron

I'm flying in Bose A20 ANR  headset for the last 7 years. I only pay attention is engine running rough. LOL  In fact less sound in the cockpit is better for my ears! 🙂 But I understand why high quality sound would matter for many.

43 minutes ago, slait said:

Agreed that the price is a premium one, but sounds in an MD-80 for me is pretty low on the priority list and some folks act like it is (my "favorite" buzz term at the moment) unflyable as a result. For me the sheer complexity of the systems is where the bulk of the development time is and as a result makes up the bulk of the premium price.

Problem for me it's it betrays both a lack of attention to fine detail and understanding of what MSFS can actually delivery and ends up feeling rather lazy. Not a good image when your charge this much.