Sign in to follow this  
Howiefly13

Where is the FS.EXE located?

Just to be absolutely clear, if you installed the Microsoft Store version of MSFS when it first came out, then 
indeed flightsimulator.exe is not accessible.
Since then, the installer has been changed, and it is possible, as linked above, to update the "old" installation
so that flightsimulator.exe is accessible.
Here is the link once again: https://parallel42.com/blogs/wiki/converting-my-sim-install-from-legacy-to-modern

Is it even necessary anymore to run MSFS as admin? Doing so I guess all external addons would also need to be run as admin?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

19 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

MS store buyer here, My flightsimulator.exe is located in C:\Games\Xbox\Microsoft Flight Simulator\content\flightsimulator.exe. It is exactly where I told the installer to put it.
I did not have to do anything "difficult" to get it there, just install MSFS via the Xbox app on the PC and when it asked where to install the files I selected this location.

Yep, absolutely understand.  When installing afresh, it's really easy to choose the method that will give access to the EXE.

I was referring to if you already have MSFS installed (using the old 'method' that does not grant access to the EXE). There is a way of changing your location but it may be risky.    So I'm personally just going to leave mine as it is, until at some point I inevitably need to do a fresh full reinstall MSFS.  Then I'll use the 'new method'.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

On 2/25/2024 at 5:28 AM, Cpt_Piett said:

C:\XboxGames\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Content

I do not have a Content folder in that path.  Just GameSave folder and WGS subfolder, which is empty.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

11 hours ago, doudou said:

spacer.png

Mine, 1,37.4, is in the same folder.

Greetings  Kurt

MSFS, X-Plane 12

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb ram, RX 5700 XT 8Gb ram, 1TB SSD

18 hours ago, fppilot said:

I do not have a Content folder in that path.  Just GameSave folder and WGS subfolder, which is empty.

Yeah, it’s very confusing as it seems the .exe is in different places even for people that got MSFS from the Microsoft Store.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

To quickly find the location of any file, I suggest using a free little program called Everything.

No more wondering where a file resides. No more slow searches in the Windows file manager.

Type "flightsimulator.exe" (or the name of any other file you may be looking for) into the context sensitive search box and it will instantly appear.

Right click on it and select  "Open Path" to take you to the location.

• Like 2

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

You can easily access the appsfolder. Hit Windows key + R, and enter 'shell:appsfolder'. Done !

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

13 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Yeah, it’s very confusing as it seems the .exe is in different places even for people that got MSFS from the Microsoft Store.

12 hours ago, Reader said:

It depends on when it was installed.

In my case I expect that it is due to a custom install location.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 6/21/2022 at 6:04 PM, Howiefly13 said:

I want to run it as administrator.

Thanks

Pretty simple with the MS store version start the xbox app choose from the left side my library.

Then on the right side choose Microsoft flight simulator then on the top side choose manage with Microsoft flight simulator selected (three dots ...)

that will open a window and choose at the top files and then the option browse and go to \Microsoft Flight Simulator\Content\ select FlightSimulator.exe

André