Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Makes the Sim Heart grow fonder...(smile)!

Yesterday afternoon,  after pretty much using (no real reason....) MSFS exclusively for the last 6 weeks....(again, no reason over another...)  I had an internet interruption of service (IPS) for about an hour...and so,  wanting to flight sim...I cranked up P3D v5.3,  and after about 6 weeks of non usage,   I again,  came to realize how great this program is...and I do compare that to my last 6 weeks of exclusive MSFS usage.  The water...the atmospherics...the ability to keep my important (to me) 30-30 FPS...especially the water interaction as I am a most avid Float Plane/Amphibian user.

Just thought to post, sitting here drinking my morning coffee...that once more...once again,  I see that there is no reason to choose one over the other...and that P3D will never be deleted from my system (actually along as well as the coming XPlane 12),  as there is always a 'reason' to have them all....each one...shines in its own light...and being away from P3D for a month and a half...just reinforced that to myself.

Happy flights...P3D, XP11, MSFS....whatever you press the start switch to....

• Like 13
  • Upvote 10

Dual MSFS and P3Dv4.5 Simmer here as well.

I still like P3D...and fly it. It remains consistent, and I don't have to worry about an impromptu update breaking things. 

MSFS is wonderful, but it still has a long way to go until things are stable. 

• Like 3

Ah... a nice read as I too sip my morning "cuppa joe".   I have both platforms and use both platforms - P3D for my profession and MSFS for entertainment/escapism.  Luv 'em both.

• Like 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I use 4.5, version5.3 and MSFS. I am seriously considering reinstalling FSX Steam for one aircraft I would like to have, the A2A Stratocrusiser. Each sim  has its purpose and none are “dead” as some so joyously proclaim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Vic green

I haven't deleted p3d.  But haven't used it in months.  One of these days I'll give it another shot though

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I haven't deleted p3d.  But haven't used it in months.  One of these days I'll give it another shot though

I am in the exact same place. Since the great tubeliners were released for MSFS, I haven’t touched P3D. I will not be deleting it any time soon however.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

ChasePlane, weather radar, quality ATC with Radar Contact, historical weather, Ai that behave properly, a GoFlight driver for default aircraft, decent clouds with EA off, Vertx DA-62, Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25 and a forthcoming Concorde are all reasons why I'm perfectly happy to stay with P3Dv5.

On a flight from Heathrow to Dublin this morning I could see the two Severn Bridges from FL180+ and the Baily Lighthouse on approach into Dublin. My wx radar showed lots of showers over the Iirish Sea.

If I want to depart Sydney, LAX or Tokyo at 10:00 local I get accurate weather. Not weather for night-time.

RC4 gives me sensible instructions for taxiing out, departing and switches me to different controllers as I climb to FL320. It then starts me down so I'm at FL110 40 miles out of Dublin. Vectors and lower altitudes are then given for an ILS approach to 28L. AiFlow ensures other Ai are kept away from me.

After landing and taxiing to the gate GSX then attaches the jetway and baggage handlers unload the aircraft whilst I see my pax deboard.

Yes, the scenery cannot match MSFS but since I'm concentrating on flying my aircraft looking out of the window isn't my highest priority. Once above 10,000ft the scenery shows me all towns, rivers, lakes, major roads and hills / mountains anywhere in the world. Little Navmap shows me their names.

Other than addon airports my only 3rd party scenery enhancements are FS Global (enhanced mesh) and FTXGlobal. Ultimate Terrain for various regions has been dropped as the default scenery is now better.

MSFS has allowed me to land inside Vesuvius and see elephant in a few locations in Africa. Strangely not in the Kruger National Park though. Not things I'm likely to repeat. I know which sim is best for me.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

One other thing I forgot to mention. The ground scenery - no matter how wonderful it is - is only visible if there’s no cloud between your aircraft and the ground.

Once you get extensive cloud cover (and that is frequent in NW Europe) that one huge advantage MSFS possesses is lost. But you’re still downloading it. 🙄

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

23 hours ago, micstatic said:

I haven't deleted MSFS. But I haven't used it in months. One of these days Ill give it another shot though

• Like 1

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)

Over the last two years I've uninstalled P3Dv5 four, yes four times. Nostalgia, irritation with MSF, more nostalgia (Oh I DO miss my A2A planes 😢) !0 days ago I reinstalled it again. It last three days this time. Will I NEVER learn? You can't go back. My hard drive are now empty of anything Lockheed Martin.

Moving on without a backwards glance.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Like Mitch, after 6 weeks only in MSFS, today I made a flight from EDDF to EGPH. Honestly, on this route, and especially during landing approach to Edinburgh (ORBX airport and TE active) I did not miss MSFS in any way. On the other side, I'm still dreaming from a simulator with the features of P3D and the graphics of MSFS.

Edited by Nemo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I have both the PMDG 737 and the Fenix A320, both great addons for MSFS, but still find myself loading P3D to fly the PMDG aircraft I have there with lots of payware sceneries and good AI-models. 

What keeps me back from using MSFS full time is the UI, which I never get used to, Also the insanely long loading times is another turnoff, especially with lot's of add-ons and AIG-models installed. MSFS camereas is another thing I don't like. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Over the last two years I've uninstalled P3Dv5 four, yes four times. Nostalgia, irritation with MSF, more nostalgia (Oh I DO miss my A2A planes 😢) !0 days ago I reinstalled it again. It last three days this time. Will I NEVER learn? You can't go back. My hard drive are now empty of anything Lockheed Martin.

Moving on without a backwards glance.

Your post reminds me of that well known phrase...

I used to be decisive but now I’m not so sure. 😁

My bet is it won’t be too long until install number five. 😉

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

My bet is it won’t be too long until install number five. 😉

You'd lose. 🙂

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 6/25/2022 at 2:14 PM, micstatic said:

"You might wonder...WHY, you stopped running it....".   I was away 6 weeks...and that hiatus, showed me exactly WHY I would never press the P3D delete button... 🙂