Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

UK Met Office first extreme heat warning.

1 hour ago, IanHarrison said:

Heat? What's that? Today here in sunny South Africa, it has been raining for over 12 hours (at last!) and I see 12.9C as the outside temp and 99% humidity. My water tank is almost full, just as well as our local dams are nearly all empty.

Lucky you! 😁 Winter rainfall helps to fill the reservoirs. Back here in 2022 only two months have delivered above average rainfall - February and May.  Only 14.62” of rain this year with no real prospect of anything substantial for several days. My lawn is looking a little sad.

But it’s nice to have normal temps again. A very pleasant 21.7°C as I write this. Yesterday’s maximum was a horrendous 38.7°C - over 100°F for the first time in Cheshire.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I noticed on the BBC weather this morning that Kew Gardens actually reached 40.1C.

So it did. Perhaps all that garden and grass and trees was really under a cloaking device and it was really acres of tarmac? 😁

Its still 30C in my PC location by the way. And that's just playing chess, no RTX 3090 heat billowing out. I've just received a 5 inch USB desk fan form Amazon though, works well. 

Edited by martin-w

Here's a very inspiring video of all those Brits, being careful to stay in the shade in record temps. So wonderful to see how sensible we are. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. 😁

Look, I'm not trying to minimize the significance of such hot weather in the UK.  No doubt it was not pleasant and likely hurt some folks.

There were a few isolated temp readings of 39C+ in some areas of the UK, but overall it looks like the high temps were <39C in most areas.  I'm omitting the northern part of the UK.  That's still very hot for the southern UK.

Yes, in relatively recent history the temps are unprecedented, but that doesn't mean it has never been that hot in the UK in the past. You can cite all the proxy data you want that indicates temperatures were never this high, but that data does not give you precise temperatures or precise dates.  We are very biased to what happens in our own very short lifetimes, so things like this make a very big impression, but it does not mean that the UK has never before in history been this hot.

Dave

Edited by dave2013

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Here's a very inspiring video of all those Brits, being careful to stay in the shade in record temps. So wonderful to see how sensible we are. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I wonder how much all that body heat on the crowded beach adds to the local temperature readings.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

but it does not mean that the UK has never before in history been this hot.

Dave, I can't wait for the next big earthquake to hit San Francisco and you can talk about how unprepared a guy who just lost his home was and cite the previous 1906 and more recent Loma Prieta quake in which a portion of the upper section of the Bay Bridge collapsed onto the lower deck.  Since it happened before it's not really big news and nobody should be all that concerned.  

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

4 hours ago, dave2013 said:

You can cite all the proxy data you want that indicates temperatures were never this high, but that data does not give you precise temperatures or precise dates.  We are very biased to what happens in our own very short lifetimes, so things like this make a very big impression, but it does not mean that the UK has never before in history been this hot.

Dave, this has already been answered. See previous replies.

And I feel another reply will involve something we've been explicitly warned not to discuss.

I wouldn't want you to be banned. See previous moderaror warning after the topic was unlocked.

There's no need for you to fire up a discussion about historic tempreture, proxy data and whether the heat wave is a record or not, all over again

Heatwaves are getting more common and more severe on average worldwide. That's all you need to know.

And pay attention to the words when they say... highest teptreture "ever recorded". That's RECORDED. Nobody has ever said that we haven't been warmer in the past.

I can't say any more for obvious reasons.

Edited by martin-w

Guys, last warning, stay out of climate change debates.

• Upvote 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Right now in NJ @3:45 pm 7-20-22 it is 101.8F with a feels like of 106.2F 

That is the reading from my backyard sensor in the shade...  

The sensor in the sun says 122F but Humidity is 66% so almost tropical at this point.  

It's hot.  Don't need records, history or any of that to tell me it is hot out right now in my yard LOL!  Dangerously hot for a subset of the population.  I pulled my neighbors garbage cans in for her so she didn't even have to walk down her driveway on the asphalt as she is in her 80's and lives alone.  The records or historical data had zero influence on that decision.  

As an aside in these temperatures the local hospital lost air conditioning and had to evacuate patients.  So that is a clear indicator of what the US response is to similar temps as to what the UK is experiencing without air conditioning.  It's an emergency.  Again, no records or historical data was required for the local Emergency Services to declare an emergency.  There is also an air quality advisory and Excessive Heat Warning.  It's no different over here in certain regions and NJ/NY is used to hot weather... We've had multiple days in triple digits consecutively before and it is always declared a heat emergency.

So yeah... 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nj-hospital-emergency-room-evacuated-after-a-c-units-go-offline-mayor-says/3782853/

Edited by psolk
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

Heatwaves are getting more common and more severe on average worldwide. That's all you need to know.

Please see my post in this very thread with data, yes hard data, from the USA since 1900:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/621811-uk-met-office-first-extreme-heat-warning/page/7/

I'm done.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I'd love to answer that but we've been warned twice!

I've sent you a PM with the obvious answer.

Edited by martin-w

11 hours ago, psolk said:

As an aside in these temperatures the local hospital lost air conditioning and had to evacuate patients.  So that is a clear indicator of what the US response is to similar temps as to what the UK is experiencing without air conditioning

Yep, this heatwave is over most of the northern hemisphere and the same warnings are being given in most nations.

Fires have been raging in the UK with a huge blaze engulfing a multitude of homes in London. 100 firefighters were on the scene.

Dreadful stuff...

Edited by martin-w

The heatwave in the UK has ended. If you wish to discuss excessive heat in other countries a new topic is probably best.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Please see my post in this very thread with data, yes hard data, from the USA since 1900:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/621811-uk-met-office-first-extreme-heat-warning/page/7/

I'm done.

Dave

Yeah 1930 to about 39 was hell in this country, literally, largely due in part to a multi year drought. You may have heard of the Dust Bowl. By 1940 our entire family had sold all the farms and moved from Missouri to Michigan to find cooler pastures as it were. 

Edited by bluescast

i9-13900K / DDR5 / 4090

How about this?  I guess they have no summer uniforms, do they?  

Noel

0?ui=2&ik=d2981c1a99&attid=0.1.1&permmsg