Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

Laminar Research will broadcast live XP12 interview today.

4 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Austin has made it clear, that to make the eye candy too big, will make downloads and distribution difficult. Not everyone has 2gb download speeds, some still have limited data. That he has left to scenery developers. Why are you not developing, its possible you said it yourself. Ill be pleased with what ever I get, and standards are just someones opinion, and we all have different opinions.

Lord. Please. MSFS can run without internet AS WELL! 

Austin just put a bit of sand in your eyes talking about problems that are no problems, because you don't need 2gb download speeds to run msfs. You don't even need internet at all. Just like in XP.

You of course believed every bit of it and even defend it here.

• Like 3

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

40 minutes ago, rka said:

Lord. Please. MSFS can run without internet AS WELL! 

Austin just put a bit of sand in your eyes talking about problems that are no problems, because you don't need 2gb download speeds to run msfs. You don't even need internet at all. Just like in XP.

You of course believed every bit of it and even defend it here.

Like I said, you can go develop, lets see what you can come up with, please we are waiting. Pixel per cm and all to fit on a dvd, and must encompass the whole world. Go ahead we are waiting. Must cover every tree, grass, and bush species, must change with seasons, every different house and building, must be in the correct location, no burnt in clouds. Lets see how you go,

Just now, mjrhealth said:

Like I said, you can go develop, lets see what you can come up with, please we are waiting. Pixel per cm and all to fit on a dvd, and must encompass the whole world. Go ahead we are waiting. Must cover every tree, grass, and bush species, must change with seasons, every different house and building, must be in the correct location, no burnt in clouds. Lets see how you go,

Are you ignoring my arguments on purpose to just repeat your nonsense? I don't need to prove something that has been proven already.

A far better than just plausible world is possible. Do your research and stop spreading misinformation.

• Like 3

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

3 minutes ago, rka said:

Are you ignoring my arguments on purpose to just repeat your nonsense? I don't need to prove something that has been proven already.

A far better than just plausible world is possible. Do your research and stop spreading misinformation.

Argument, its an observation. Im not here to argue. Like I said, you want perfect please go make it, like to see your idea of perfection. seems Laminar isnt going to be good enough for you, and the other is , so why are you here.

1 hour ago, flying_carpet said:

So ... the attitude of some people is basically: "What matters most for a flight sim? Eye candy, then eye candy, and finally eye candy. Oh, ... did I mention eye candy? Simulation isn't really needed for a simulator, it only detracts from the eye candy. Apart from that, the standards of the average home/MSFS user are much higher than the ones of RW pilots, RW aerospace engineers, RW aviation companies, so XP will fail ...".

I think that's a pretty classic straw man. I haven't seen anybody make that statement, and I don't believe anyone is going to try to defend that statement except perhaps you, since you're the only one who made it.

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

that I have not seen backed up by the videos released so far

3D water that looks on par AND that enables seaplane dynamics = better.

3D trees that sway in the wind to the correct direction, allowing a pilot to see wind characteristics, that change color in seasons AND that don't disappear like a cloud of green flatulence when you get close = better. 

Real weather that will be on par, with clouds that don't look like rotten marshmallows, and that sets up dynamic runway/taxiway conditions = better.

Fully-conserving lighting model (admittedly way overdue) and more material types = ok ok, par.

Sure you have. Denial is a common response for M$ users.

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

considering the lukewarm in comparison effort both commercially and technically behind Microsoft Flight, and even dovetail Sim

A lot of interested parties like myself, who are considering a purchase, simply Wonder exactly what moves laminar can and will take to compete.

Lukewarm? Aside from M$ Flight, You're directly comparing the efforts of a couple indie game dev companies (who also happened to be restricted by license agreements) to the financial resources of M$ and complaining that their responses are "lukewarm"? That's a special kind of "blind".

Go kiss your pig. I hear the tutu matches the lipstick today.

• Like 1

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

9 hours ago, jarmstro said:

I was rather hoping that there may be some loophole left open in the XP12 code to allow a clever modder to make an app which would inject, say, streamed Google orthos on the fly. However the presence of OrbX in the video make it clear that this will not be the case.

: ) I will admit to hoping for this a bit as well. BUT I wouldn't say that Orbx's presence means it wouldn't happen. AND I wouldn't expect a public declaration that a 'loophole' had been created that could certainly invite lawsuits. For now I will be more than satisfied with Ortho4XP.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

2 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

3D water that looks on par AND that enables seaplane dynamics = better.

3D trees that sway in the wind to the correct direction, allowing a pilot to see wind characteristics, that change color in seasons AND that don't disappear like a cloud of green flatulence when you get close = better. 

Real weather that will be on par, with clouds that don't look like rotten marshmallows, and that sets up dynamic runway/taxiway conditions = better.

Fully-conserving lighting model (admittedly way overdue) and more material types = ok ok, par.

Sure you have. Denial is a common response for M$ users.

Lukewarm? Aside from M$ Flight, You're directly comparing the efforts of a couple indie game dev companies (who also happened to be restricted by license agreements) to the financial resources of M$ and complaining that their responses are "lukewarm"? That's a special kind of "blind".

Go kiss your pig. I hear the tutu matches the lipstick today.

Ohhhhhh......

You are that kind of poster.

Well have a nice day. 🙃

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

6 hours ago, rka said:

MSFS can run without internet AS WELL! 

Yes and it looks like FSX if you don't have massive ortho disk caches set up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

You are that kind of poster.

Posting facts and realizing the reality of investment dynamics? Call me oink oink! 

1 minute ago, blingthinger said:

Posting facts and realizing the reality of investment dynamics? Call me oink oink! 

Lolz

• Like 2

Devons rig

5 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I think that's a pretty classic straw man. I haven't seen anybody make that statement, and I don't believe anyone is going to try to defend that statement except perhaps you, since you're the only one who made it.

WHAT?

Of course my statement was somewhat exaggerated - for good reason. It's because we have to read here all the time things like "X-Plane has to deliver eye candy/satellite imagery, otherwise it is dead." or "Who cares about yaw-roll coupling?" or similar things ...
The statement "X-Plane is dead" is decades old from what I read, but it is still very alive. Some people seem to be very obsessed or intrigued by XP 12, otherwise they wouldn't lurk around here.

BTW ... Aerowinx PS 747-400 has (by default) no eye candy and satellite imagery at all, and is still a extremely good simulation.

Edited by flying_carpet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

18 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Yes and it looks like FSX if you don't have massive ortho disk caches set up.

Lol, and how far superior would you describe XP compared to MSFS without cache and offline?

😅

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rka said:

Lol, and how far superior would you describe XP compared to MSFS without cache and offline?

😅

See now, Austin won't let us take a peek at the fancy new default ground textures he says are coming in 12... I mean... uhh... it's going to be bEttEr!!!!

10 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

this time they came back with something modern, with a full court press and true wow factor, rather than the usual decade+ of adding lipstick to the proverbial pig....

Jorg said in one of the interviews that he would not have made MSFS 2020 if the technology had not advanced to the point where they could do something amazing like 1 to 1 representation of the world with Blackhshark AI and streaming scenery. I think the crazy thing about this type of tech is you can literally overall the whole visuals server side as the AI technology and map resolution improves without touching the base sim. 

10 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

But that's been the question for years. My understanding for quite a while is that its been the mobile sales, from probably a quite more casual market where Infinite Flight and Aerofly compete

Mobile will continue to be important to Laminar's bottom line. I doubt xplane 12 desktop will be able to generate the same about of revenue as xplane 11 did due to more competition now.  Mobile is the casual market and flight model is not the most important thing here when you are tilting your phone or playing with a controller. As a result, this market is wide open to anyone (xplane, Infinite Flight, Aerofly, etc) and tons of smaller players. I personally would not pay for DLCs on a mobile platform.

10 hours ago, blingthinger said:

I guess we're missing multiplayer? Xbox users and youtubers rejoice! You have found your princess!

I think you are underestimating this aspect. In one of the interviews, Austin said he wants to work on MMO so that xplane users of mobile/desktop can fly together in the open world. He understands the importance in terms of building a community. Having online friends where you can organize a bush trip and explore the world together has been a great experience thus for. In the online world, many people go to the platform where their friends are. These are things that the consumer side of the business would want but not sure how high up the list it is for Laminar. There are overheads though of running and maintaining servers. Free???

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB