Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Kodiak vs Caravan

All I can add is , if you find a plane twitchy and you just can't stomach it, then I'd have to say you haven't figured out yet, what it available in this sim. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

5 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

All I can add is , if you find a plane twitchy and you just can't stomach it, then I'd have to say you haven't figured out yet, what it available in this sim. 

I fly at least 10 different aircraft off an on, ( all payware), none of them are twitchy. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

All right, got it. Got my controls tuned though, and the Caravan, V35, 172, 152, G36, 310 and 414 don’t seem twitchy. But yeah, I probably haven’t figured the sim out just yet. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Been flying the analog Caravan a lot lately, but today I decided to take the Kodiak. And I’m not sure if it’s meant to be realistic or not, but it’s way more twitchy in the vertical axis than the Caravan. It’s hard not to over-rotate and risk a stall. 

There’s supposed to be an update I think (perhaps they’re waiting for SU10 to release). Hopefully they can address this. Anyone else got the same experience?

At the moment I really prefer the Caravan.

The dev stated on the official forums that they designed it for a full throw yoke like the Fulcrum and that lesser yokes like the Alpha may feel twitchy due to the short throw. Apparently they will be adjusting sensitivity in the next update to reduce this. I’m not sure this is really the issue though.

It’s not yoke travel that the issue in my experience, it’s more the binary nature of the pitch of the plane or ground effects or something that has it barely able to get its nose off the ground one second, but then almost instantly is near vertical the next. I Dunno. If you watch Ryan’s videos on YT, it’s not a dice roll for him on every take off like it is in the sim 🙂

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

It’s not yoke travel that the issue in my experience, it’s more the binary nature of the pitch of the plane or ground effects or something that has it barely able to get its nose off the ground one second, but then almost instantly is near vertical the next.

Yes. This is exactly what I'm talking about. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Many people find the current model twitchy and many others do not.  There is no right or wrong about it.

What is known to mitigate (but not eliminate) the problem if you do have it is use less throttle/torque on the takeoff roll and increase your Vr as your load goes up. 

I think @Virtual-Chris hit the nail on the head as he explained the phenomenon better than me. It's like the airplane is glued to the runway during the takeoff roll. And when you finally are able to pull her off the ground, you tend to over-rotate. 

6 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

What is known to mitigate (but not eliminate) the problem if you do have it is use less throttle/torque on the takeoff roll and increase your Vr as your load goes up.

I'll keep this in mind. 

Of course, it probably goes without saying but the load, CG, and (lack of) elevator trim can make the situation a lot worse.

I suspect the issue is at least partly due to the transition from ground to flight modelling.  I’ve heard others complaining about this transition, usually in the context of landing airliners that tend to want to float. There maybe some issues in this transition area that some planes suffer from more than others. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 1:36 AM, Virtual-Chris said:

If someone makes a Caravan that's more functional than the one in the sim, I would buy it. I love the Caravan ergonomics and view.

How about this Caravan for functionality?

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

11 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Anyone have a chance to check out the updated Kodiak?

Managed a quick flight in it, seemed a lot more stable...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

1 hour ago, Gazzareth said:

Managed a quick flight in it, seemed a lot more stable...

G

Nice. On the official forum, some folks were complaining they’ve reversed the throttle axis or something. What did you find?

Edited by Virtual-Chris

1 hour ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Nice. On the official forum, some folks were complaining they’ve reversed the throttle axis or something. What did you find?

All works same for me - the only thing I've noticed is if the ITT goes too high you need to drop back to menu and reload... On mine when you go from Low to High Idle you need ignition on, if it isn't then the engine quits and if you put ignition on a second later ITT spikes to 1200 and you're cooked......

G

10 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

All works same for me - the only thing I've noticed is if the ITT goes too high you need to drop back to menu and reload... On mine when you go from Low to High Idle you need ignition on, if it isn't then the engine quits and if you put ignition on a second later ITT spikes to 1200 and you're cooked......

G

Interesting... I wonder if that's a bug or that's the way it is supposed to work.

2 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Interesting... I wonder if that's a bug or that's the way it is supposed to work.

They have said residual ITT is meant to be a new failure mode - although when it's a restart (?) I don't honestly know how that works .. ..

Mind the engine shouldn't cut when changing from low to high idle..

G

Edited by Gazzareth