Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

How to use "you all".....

English is deficient in not having a plural "you." I remember when I learned Arabic it has not only a plural you but a "the two of" you. In Southern Illinois dialect, "you'uns" seemed to be preferred, but you don't hear that nowadays.

18 hours ago, LHookins said:

I wouldn't be surprised if some regions of Pennsylvania shortened it to "yinz".

but do you know what a clothespress is?  Or a pocketbook?.  Mom called this dialect "Pennsylvania Dutch", actually "Deutsch" meaning German.

Interestingly, in Scotland, you will occasionally here "Yous yins" which could loosely be interpreted as "you ones" or "you lot", i.e. a group of people.

Clothespress? A wardrobe/closet, I believe? Pocketbook - in the UK a notebook, particularly as used by the police, but in the US, a wallet.

Here's one for you. My girlfriend's family is Northern Irish and they have a "hot press", yet they're not in the newspaper business, so to what do they refer? No Googling!😉

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, 109Sqn said:

Pocketbook - in the UK a notebook, particularly as used by the police, but in the US, a wallet.

The only use I've heard for pocketbook is a woman's purse.

Hot press:  an iron used to remove wrinkles from clothing?

Note:  I looked it up.  Interesting.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/hot-press

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

11 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Note:  I looked it up.  Interesting

More specifically, it contains the hot water boiler, therefore it's a source of otherwise wasted heat. I'm not sure if any other part of the UK has a specific universal term. But houses up to the 1950s or so would have an "airing cupboard", typically with slatted wooden shelves for airing or drying off damp laundry and I daresay some of those may have also housed the boiler.

Hot Press:

irish-hot-press-5.jpg

Edited by 109Sqn
  • Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

It is incorrect to refer to two people as he. The proper  plural form is they. 

Proper King James Bible English

singular  plural

I...................We

You.............Ye

He...............They

Proper Later English

I...................We

You.............You all

He...............They

Slang English but widely used today

I...................We

You.............You

He...............They

The Southern USA was largely settled by Cavaliers (King Charles loyalists / upper class), and the North by  Roundheads (Cromwell Puritans / middle class). Thus  we have Charleston and Jamestown in the South and Philadelphia and Plymouth in the North. 

Southerners spoke a more dignified proper English, but Northerners were a more practical people who dispensed with such high class affectations. They simplified the English language. Instead of  using the more proper forms which remained in wide use in the South up to and past the American Civil War.

It's no surprise that the Northerners rejected the proper 2nd person plural 'you all' and substituted a more streamlined if slangish 2nd person plural 'you'.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

My wife is from Asia, and when her friend said to her, "it's in the press" (cupboard), my wife had to ask me for a translation. Speaking of Hot Press (the magazine) Our band back in the 90's was mentioned briefly in it.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

On 7/26/2022 at 2:59 PM, Fielder said:

The Southern USA was largely settled by Cavaliers (King Charles loyalists / upper class), and the North by  Roundheads (Cromwell Puritans / middle class). Thus  we have Charleston and Jamestown in the South and Philadelphia and Plymouth in the North. 

Here in a state as small as South Carolina there was tremendous rivalry between the Loyalist upstate and mostly Whig or "Patriot low country during the Revolutionary War. Terribly gruesome battles fought then. That still plays out between the Clemson, South Carolina College rivalries. Mankind can't get along for nothing. Even neighbors.

What does that have to do with you all? I dunno. Yall just got me thinking.

• Like 2

Vic green

On 7/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, 109Sqn said:

More specifically, it contains the hot water boiler, therefore it's a source of otherwise wasted heat. I'm not sure if any other part of the UK has a specific universal term. But houses up to the 1950s or so would have an "airing cupboard", typically with slatted wooden shelves for airing or drying off damp laundry and I daresay some of those may have also housed the boiler.

That's called a "hot water heater".  A boiler is the term used to describe steam power plant innards.  For example we have a building with steam heat, and it has a boiler.

What is the orange/red stuff around that hot water heater?  Some sort of attempt at insulating it?  I've never seen that here in the USA.  Here they insulate on the inside of the hot water heater.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 7/25/2022 at 11:13 AM, mwilk said:

I'm originally from Ohio but have lived in Texas for the last 20 years. I absolutely refuse to say y'all. Like you, I say you guys.

"you guys" is reserved for teenage girls where I'm from.

I have heard the aforementioned "you uns" which pretty much means "all of you".  "All y'all" yes, I've heard that as well...maybe less than "you uns", which is definitely SE Missouri, or as Tim points out, parts of Southern Illinois as well although I didn't know that, I thought outside of Cairo, Tamms, McClure and Ware, they all spoke Yankee.  😀   Makes sense though as S. Illinois is just an extension of the Ozarks and the same Scotch-Irish settlers.

Rhett

For the Glasgow accent, there's the Fratellis.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 hours ago, Mace said:

"you guys" is reserved for teenage girls where I'm from.

The girls must be tough where you're from if you call them guys. I try to stay away from women whose beards are heavier than mine.

• Like 1

NAX669.png

3 hours ago, mwilk said:

The girls must be tough where you're from if you call them guys. I try to stay away from women whose beards are heavier than mine.

Oh, I don't call them that.  They say that stuff to each other, "hey you guys!" when speaking to other girls.   I don't know why they say that, but they do.  I don't think they're that tough.

Rhett

On 7/26/2022 at 2:59 PM, Fielder said:

Southerners spoke a more dignified proper English

We still do..........🙂

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

17 hours ago, Mace said:

That's called a "hot water heater". 

Maybe where you're/y'all are from!😝 Here, it's definitely a boiler!

17 hours ago, Mace said:

What is the orange/red stuff around that hot water heater?  Some sort of attempt at insulating it?  I've never seen that here in the USA.  Here they insulate on the inside of the hot water heater.

Yes, it's insulating material. As most new build housing will likely have central heating of some sort, I doubt many new boilers like that are installed nowadays, unless to replace existing ones. Why the outside? I imagine that the design was so set in stone (or copper, or whatever metal) that it was easier to just wrap an insulating material round it than redesign the thing from scratch. Remember, that sort of device in some form or another probably pre-dates USA history.😉

"disdain"... 🙃

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator