Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Summer sale ending timing

So I've only just been able to get back onto my sim PC to access the marketplace, just in time before the summer sale ends, or so I thought, as it's over apparently. That surely should have ended at 11:59 pm today, PDT I assume since they always reference that? There's no mention of any specific time anywhere, it just says it ends on July 31st and it still is July 31st so where's the logic in ending it at a random time around 11 am PDT, not even halfway through the day? Maybe I'm not seeing something obvious here.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

I had a list of airports I was going to grab after work this morning and the sale was over!  Was sad as I had a Hawaii tour planned once I grabbed the South Oak Hawaii airports. Oh well.  I'll wait for the next sale.  Plenty of world to fly around. 😉 

49 minutes ago, Little Jenny said:

I had a list of airports I was going to grab after work this morning and the sale was over!  Was sad as I had a Hawaii tour planned once I grabbed the South Oak Hawaii airports. Oh well.  I'll wait for the next sale.  Plenty of world to fly around. 😉 

Same here basically. This was the first major sale in the marketplace I was interested in so I'm kinda new to it and I think they should properly communicate when exactly sales end. I don't recall ever having seen a sale end at a random time of day without prior notification if the communicated end time is just a full day without a specific time. It usually is 11:59 pm/12 am then, covering the whole last day.

If by "on July 31st" they meant 12 am July 31st they're technically not wrong as 12 am is on July 31st, but that just seems a weird way of doing this to me and grounds for confusion, as in this case. Usually "on day X" includes day X.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

2 hours ago, threegreen said:

If by "on July 31st" they meant 12 am July 31st they're technically not wrong as 12 am is on July 31st, but that just seems a weird way of doing this to me and grounds for confusion, as in this case. Usually "on day X" includes day X.

I agree. Asobo certainly continue to live up to their reputation of being not so great communicators.

Edited by steve310002

The same happened to me too. While I agree with you and find no excuse for MS/Asobo, it is also the price to be paid for procrastinating with money spending until the very last day. 😉

• Like 2

Don't worry, there will be a Fall sale soon. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

The summer sale started around 11am PDT on July 15th which might explain why the summer sale ended before noon on Sunday. I agree that these sales should run until 11:59pm on the last day. 

10 hours ago, steve310002 said:

I agree. Asobo certainly continue to live up to their reputation of being not so great communicators.

This is more on Microsoft than Asobo.

• Upvote 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

39 minutes ago, MarcG said:

This is more on Microsoft than Asobo.

I was literally about to say, I hate to burst the "we hate Asobo" bubble, but this is purely Microsoft (the publisher). Asobo develop the simulator. They have nothing at all to do with marketing or summer sales.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, March Hare said:

I was literally about to say, I hate to burst the "we hate Asobo" bubble, but this is purely Microsoft (the publisher). Asobo develop the simulator. They have nothing at all to do with marketing or summer sales.

Okay. Point taken. Personally neither come across as fantastic communicators in terms of MSFS anyway. I don't hate anyone so please do stop exaggerating. Hate is a ridiculous word to use. It's a game/simulator for goodness sake.

Edited by steve310002

37 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

Okay. Point taken. Personally neither come across as fantastic communicators in terms of MSFS anyway. I don't hate anyone so please do stop exaggerating. Hate is a ridiculous word to use. It's a game/simulator for goodness sake.

It is ridiculous, yes. Intentionally. I was purposely exaggerating, not aimed at your post really, but the collective vibe across all forum activity, which is generally ridiculous and sometimes indeed hateful in tone. I don't usually go for exaggeration myself to be honest (or get involved in any forums outside this one), but I just felt the urge on this occasion and that's my prerogative.

However, back to my reserved, non-hyperbolic forum persona...

On the point of communication, Asobo aren't responsible for public communication at all, nor indeed freely permitted to communicate development updates contractually. The publisher has control over all such communication. So Asobo's communication can't really be judged, I would argue; they are only responsible for, obliged to, and permissable to communicate with the publisher on development progress, then the publisher decides what to publically relay, how, and when.

I wasn't able to get to my sim PC earlier. I'm not ranting or hating on anything, I just don't understand the logic.

I was taken by surprise as well. When something says it runs from x date to y date I kind of assume you get all of y date to purchase. It was weird.

• Upvote 1

- Aaron

Their mistake was not to specify a date and a time.
Extraordinarily, they seem to have appointed someone to administer their sales who has no 
experience of doing such a thing.
If they had, the sale would have been announced as ending at say 2359 UTC/GMT/Zulu on July 31st.
That happens at exactly the same moment regardless of where the prospective customer is in the world.

2359 on July 31st on the other hand, takes place at different times, depending on where in the world one is
and inevitably leads to the prospective last-minute customer missing the sale.

"Last-minute" must be inbuilt into human nature, very rarely does a train leave our local station without there being someone
racing up the platform only to see that the train did leave on time after all and without waiting for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reader said:

"Last-minute" must be inbuilt into human nature, very rarely does a train leave our local station without there being someone
racing up the platform only to see that the train did leave on time after all and without waiting for them.

Well, picking things up last minute wouldn't have been a problem if they had stuck to what they communicated - or had properly communicated the exact ending time as being 11 (or so) am PDT if they didn't plan on including the whole day.

Btw, sometimes the person missing the train arrived at the station by a delayed bus 😉.

Edited by threegreen