Sign in to follow this  
sunbeam60

Is MSFS ATC smoking crack or am I doing something wrong?

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Cpt_Piett, thanks. Sounds like some aspects have improved since FSX but two big ones remain.

No worries. Another thing is that if you're told to go around, you are instructed to fly the published missed approach. Which I think is quite impressive with default ATC. Another thing is that with most STARs and approaches, ATC will have you descend as per the published altitudes, as I think someone else mentioned. If there's no IFR approach however, ATC descent instructions will often be all over the place.

• Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

, but that day was over 2 decades ago. In terms of software ?"  😉

In terms of software and in terms of changes in the FAA (USA at least) - they are vast.  In my 15 years as ATC the phraseology has changed many many times.

It's clear MSFS needs a serious ATC overhaul.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Cpt_Piett, thanks. Sounds like some aspects have improved since FSX but two big ones remain.

There is lots of room for serious improvements but again it does some things the old ATC never did and I do value them.  My sense is it's somewhat in placeholder-status, that is to say tolerable, but not undergoing focused development currently and that at some point it will be a focal point for development, we hope.  I have come to value stuff that is included and works well so hope Asobo continues to develop weather and ATC as I value using default components over 3rd party addons for these essentially basic, but big, components.

• Like 4

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

39 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

... but you cannot request takeoff clearance until you're at the holding point

Going back to your earlier post don’t pilots wait at the holding point until cleared to line up and wait? At major airports that’s certainly the case.

Once lined up the Tower will issue the take-off clearance.

”Another thing is that with most STARs and approaches, ATC will have you descend as per the published altitudes, as I think someone else mentioned. If there's no IFR approach however, ATC descent instructions will often be all over the place.”

Clearly more work is required on the trigonometry. That’s the hardest part to master and the reason there are so few 3rd party ATC programs on the market.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

37 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

In terms of software and in terms of changes in the FAA (USA at least) - they are vast.  In my 15 years as ATC the phraseology has changed many many times.

The only one I’m aware of is “taxi into position and hold” is now aligned with the ICAO “line up and wait”.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Why do you guys keep using the OP's thread where he asks for help with a specific situation to your discussion about ATC? I don't get it. Don't you see this is off-topic? Even a mod here?

No wonder he doesn't come back to the thread. Shame on you.

If it was my thread I would be really word not allowed off.

Edited by Alvega
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

15 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Once lined up the Tower will issue the take-off clearance.

Yes but in MSFS when you reach the holding point you then contact tower and request take-off clearance. If there is either traffic on the runway or on approach, you are told to hold short. When it's your turn you are either cleared for take-off or "line up and wait". 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

Shhhh, what do you know it's only what you do for a living 😉  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

to answer the OP's question; YES! especially if you are anywhere near the Bahamas.. 🤣🤣🤣

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

2 hours ago, Alvega said:

Why do you guys keep using the OP's thread where he asks for help with a specific situation to your discussion about ATC? I don't get it. Don't you see this is off-topic? Even a mod here?

No wonder he doesn't come back to the thread. Shame on you.

If it was my thread I would be really word not allowed off.

lol

well heres a clue for you, just that starting a thread about msfs2020 atc and crack cocaine combined was never going to end that good 🙂

just my humble opinion

Edited by icewater5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alvega said:

Why do you guys keep using the OP's thread where he asks for help with a specific situation to your discussion about ATC? I don't get it. 

What I don't get is how a discussion of ATC, in a thread about ATC, is off topic.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 minutes ago, Dermot McClusky said:

We're not speaking about crack cocaine enough.

You're right!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

43 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

What I don't get is how a discussion of ATC, in a thread about ATC, is off topic.

He is not asking which ATC program is best, he is asking about a specific situation and nobody even cared about that. And you don't understand that's off topic? What if you asked a specific question about the Fenix aircraft and all the replies were a discussion about which aircraft is the best and telling you to use P3D instead of MSFS? Do you think that is right?  What's going on with you? Jeez.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Yes but in MSFS when you reach the holding point you then contact tower and request take-off clearance. If there is either traffic on the runway or on approach, you are told to hold short. When it's your turn you are either cleared for take-off or "line up and wait". 

Shouldn’t Ground tell you when to contact Tower? Aircraft are tightly controlled in real life.

Are you saying you’re cleared for takeoff when holding short? Shouldn’t that be Line up and wait?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Shouldn’t Ground tell you when to contact Tower? Aircraft are tightly controlled in real life.

Not always in the USA.  As you approach the runway you switch to tower on your own. Or ground will say "monitor tower" which means switch to tower but do not call ready - tower will call you.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |