Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Map Enhancement Tool Update Released

7 minutes ago, miguel370 said:

No one it is going to pay it, i just was using it becouse it was free, i find it inmoral to pay for that when we have free in the simulator

We have free Google Maps in MSFS?  Point me to the setting for that please.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

We have free bing maps on the game...and the google earth maps is not good, there are lots of incorrections and gliches...i never will pay for a product that offers that quality

41 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

We have free Google Maps in MSFS?  Point me to the setting for that please.

You know perfectly well what he meant. No need for sarcasm.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

3 hours ago, Baber20 said:

You know perfectly well what he meant. No need for sarcasm.

The OP seems to think the charge from the developer is for the map data - it isn't. The charge is for the developers time and effort to develop the MET tool.  The OP is also perfectly happy to use Google Map data in MSFS as long as he doesn't have to pay money for the tool to get it. The OP finds it immoral to pay a developer for a tool that enable default scenery to be replaced.

Altogether I found the OPs post to be very odd indeed and sarcasm seemed appropriate. 

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 hours ago, miguel370 said:

We have free bing maps on the game...and the google earth maps is not good, there are lots of incorrections and gliches...i never will pay for a product that offers that quality

The default Bing maps are acceptable, even superb in some areas.  However, in many areas the Default Bing Maps have very low detail and odd colouring - lime green tints to fields and roads for example.  In most of the places I use MSFS, Google Maps are far, far superior in detail and colour.

7 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Making it payware seems a risky move. 

I agree, but I guess most people didn't donate anything to the author for his software.

6 hours ago, Nemo said:

It's also kinda immoral earning money with content from others. I have now "deleted" it at flightsim.to so that I don't get further notification about updates etc.

I can sympathise with your view, but I find myself not feeling immoral by using Google data in MSFS.  I can put on a VR headset and browse the maps for free for as long as I want.  I can browse the maps online using my PC or Android phone for as long as I want.  I can use the maps satellite data in my car Satnav software as long as I want.  

I would feel different if Google Maps data had to be paid for and the MET tool was getting around this restriction.  I would also feel very happy to pay a subscription to Google for the use of its map data in apps that uses it.

5 hours ago, miguel370 said:

there are lots of incorrections and gliches...i never will pay for a product that offers that quality

Have a read through this thread for some glitches - In the year I have used the MET tool to access Google Map Data, I have never had a server issue in game.

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The default Bing maps are acceptable, even superb in some areas.  However, in many areas the Default Bing Maps have very low detail and odd colouring - lime green tints to fields and roads for example.  In most of the places I use MSFS, Google Maps are far, far superior in detail and colour.

Do you tend to fly in the same region or do you hop around the world a lot?

My experience hopping around the world is quite different. In select areas Google is far superior in resolution, but outside those not, and rarely superior in colour. In areas where the resolution is superior, regular, obvious changes in satellite time / provider mean immersion-destroying inconsistencies too often in a single flight.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Do you tend to fly in the same region or do you hop around the world a lot?

My experience hopping around the world is quite different. In select areas Google is far superior in resolution, but outside those not, and rarely superior in colour. In areas where the resolution is superior, regular, obvious changes in satellite time / provider mean immersion-destroying inconsistencies too often in a single flight.

Yet another one of those choices we make.  I love the extra resolution of Google Map data that makes the MSFS world look more realistic. I am willing to put up with some colour inconsistencies.  In Google Maps, small details like ditches close to the runway on final approach are clearly visible in many places, where Default Bing tiles don't even show them.

I don't dislike default Bing tiles at all and the colour is certainly more consistent.

Some info from the dev that might help clarify the license (from flightsim.to comment section): 

• The app is completely free and same features as before, no license is needed for previous features. All maps it currently contains are free.
  • Free features are keeping updated.
  • Some advanced features (e.g. custom map provider and future features) need pro license.

As mentioned earlier I'll stay on 6.0.4 for now as it's working well (except no high LOD and no cache). 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Some info from the dev that might help clarify the license (from flightsim.to comment section): 

• The app is completely free and same features as before, no license is needed for previous features. All maps it currently contains are free.
  • Free features are keeping updated.
  • Some advanced features (e.g. custom map provider and future features) need pro license.

As mentioned earlier I'll stay on 6.0.4 for now as it's working well (except no high LOD and no cache). 

Saw that clarification also - aswell as the fact that Derek added (in the 6.12 Pro version, which he calls "Standard" according to https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/wiki/License ) tile injection by chinese data provider http://charmingglobe.com/EWeb/boot_page.aspx - ergo: the next map source. Donation sent.  

Edited by MaGer1965

6.1.5 released, with instructions on how to add Apple Maps that a lot of people have requested. Their map data actually looks really, really interesting. Would love to see some in-flight shots of that. 

* Add Apple Map instructions: https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/wiki/How-to-use-Apple-maps
* Fix the loaded image that doesn't show
* Fix application crash when auto-start if any error happens
* Add image adjustment feature: see doc here: https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/wiki/Image-adjustment
* Fix China map green issue

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

7 minutes ago, webranger said:

I am using Reshade 4.91.  

Does this effect the coloring in the map enhancement app?

Yes. Reshade is a post-processing technique.
The “map enhancement app” does not enhance any maps, it offers alternative maps to the one served up by the stock game.