Sign in to follow this  
737_800

Getting CTD recently more often

1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Today's prize after 5h45m on the Citation Longitude:

mFXigQ7.png

EDIT: No logs whatsoever in the event viewer.

That error is on Asobo. 100%. If this is what you are getting. I am with you. I have never experienced this error in MSFS. I've seen many report as well of this case. 

Edited by fogboundturtle

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

8 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

That error is on Asobo. 100%. If this is what you are getting. I am with you. I have never experienced this error in MSFS. I've seen many report as well of this case. 

Isn't a breakpoint a manual intervention that developers insert into code for debugging? 

1 minute ago, gb09f said:

Isn't a breakpoint a manual intervention that developers insert into code for debugging? 

yes but the breakpoint can be due to an error handling in a very specific case where the the developer decided that if you encounter this specific error, you need to exit.  It's an exception breakpoint. the world exception is important here. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

5 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Today's prize after 5h45m on the Citation Longitude:

mFXigQ7.png

I had this once and found the answer at the FS forums.

The fix, for me, was to re-enable a Windows managed paging file, which I has set to 0.
This was a week ago and I had never seen that error before and I have not seen it since.

4 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

Let's hope it's one of those fixed in SU10, this is "kinda" annoying.

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

I had this once and found the answer at the FS forums.

The fix, for me, was to re-enable a Windows managed paging file, which I has set to 0.
This was a week ago and I had never seen that error before and I have not seen it since.

Not that, my pagefile is windows-managed.

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Yeah I think letting Win manage the page file might be the best. Think someone earlier in this thread resolved the breakpoint CTD by doing that. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Windows managed page file here, but still had that fault.  Glad it works for some at least.  Maybe there are a couple of things that trigger it.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Well for some inexplicable reason I've been able to fly for 5-6 hours with no CTD. Go figure! I ditched AIG TC and FSRealistic, so there could be that. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

12 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

i posted a possible fix that has worked for me but no one has responded to it.  When I get a CTD the first indication of it is the screen freezes, then after a couple of seconds it crashes.  What I have been able to do is when it freezes, immediately hit the ESC key.  It goes back to the main menu.  Then after about a minute i hit RESUME and everything is fine.  I have done this several times and haven't had a CTD.  I believe the ESC out gives the streaming a chance to catch up loading the data.

I have this same situation happen to me on most flights, but interestingly if I don't touch anything after 4-8 seconds everything returns to normal on its own.

Mark

i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz / Asus TUF 4090 OC / 32 GB DDR 5 / Corsair 1000W PS /  Pimax Crystal / 2 SATA SSD / 2TB M2 SSD/ DOF Reality H3 motion platform/ Win 11 

Yesterday test flight 2.30h with no issues. I run the sfc/scannow and deleted the old rollingcache file. I doubt there's correlation, so I expect crashes again until Asobo decides there's an issue. 

Some other things i have been looking into:

Intel's 11Th gen CPUs (might happen with others - i have no idea) z590 motherboards have a sad tendency to raise the VCCSA and VCCIO voltage values really REALLY high. These are the System Agent and Input/Output voltages fed to the memory and PCIe controllers inside the CPU. In my case these were around the 1.63v and 1.28v respectively.

With some deep reading on the subject, i came to the conclusion that this is indeed a flaw and these voltages, not only can cause issues on the PCIe bus but they can actually cause malfunctions and, with time, degrade components including the memory controller on the CPU (VCCSA specially responsible for this for what i've gathered) and PCIe connected components: GPU, SSDs, whatever.

I have now lowered these to much lower values since i do not overclock the memory too much and 1.63v for VCCSA is just... stupid. For now they're set at 1.45v for VCCSA (still kinda high, but not even close to 1.63) and 1.22v for VCCIO and as an immediate consequence i can now keep my 6800XT undervoltage as i had it initially without any black screens when testing in 3DMARK. This is unrelated to MSFS but it was something that happened when i tested for stability and had to raise the GPU voltage again back to near-default values.

I like to undervolt the GPU because temperatures drop quite a lot and power consumption drops dramatically (~70watts in my case) while performance is exactly the same.

Anyway, back on the subject, i am still testing and currently flying a medium-haul 5h leg with PMDG's 737 to see if any errors come up or if lowering these voltages did have any effect in my case. This will require many hours in the air and is quite boring to test, but whatever 😛

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

@Nuno Pinto thanks for this info. I rarely if ever change these values. Even overclocking "gurus" like derbauer don't usually mention them. 

I was able to undervolt my GPU guite significantly, by about 230mV. Of course this will lead to lower power usage and lower temps, and also less fan noise. I did this since I had already underclocked my GPU by 165MHz to avoid CTDs...

7 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Anyway, back on the subject, i am still testing and currently flying a medium-haul 5h leg with PMDG's 737 to see if any errors come up or if lowering these voltages did have any effect in my case. This will require many hours in the air and is quite boring to test, but whatever 😛

Yes I'm also testing, currently on a "long-haul" GA flight in the Cessna 414. I suspect that with certain combinations of addons CTDs are more likely. Just trying to figure out which combination is "safe" and this is quite time-consuming 🙂

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

@Nuno Pinto thanks for this info. I rarely if ever change these values. Even overclocking "gurus" like derbauer don't usually mention them. 

Just trying to figure out which combination is "safe" and this is quite time-consuming 🙂

Welcome. I looked at all my voltages, found those quite high and googled for a bit, then found some information spread all over about them. But the conclusion is that they are very high by default, so i acted upon that hoping to get some results out of it.

And yes,  finding the right combination is indeed an adventure lol.

After troubleshooting the "memory could not be read" CTDs I've had since I upgraded to 12900KF+z690+DDR5 more than a month ago, here's my findings:

• I could not use the XMP profile for DDR5; MemTest86 found lots of errors
  • I am more stable after underclocking the GPU (my GPU is factory-OC)
  • Some versions of the map enhancement tool seem to cause stability issues. Of course these types of addons has to be used at own risk
  • Some versions of reshade could cause stability issues (same applies i.e. use at your own risk)

But these are just general observations. What makes it so mind-boggling is that I can complete a 5-6 hr flight then on the next flight have a CTD whilst taxing to the runway. 

Another thing is that generally the sim runs really well on my system. Very few stutters (except in some very demanding scenarios), mostly smooth and fluid, good fps. So it's sort of hard to understand why the sim infrequently CTDs as doesn't seem to have any issues most of the time... 

EDIT: Just completed a 7 hr flight in the Cessna 414 with all settings maxed out with a terrain LOD of 600. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

Yesterday night, 2h flight, no issues. Today 1h flight, crashed on short final, same 00005 error and no other hints. My simulator is useless since 20th of August, I've made no changes, and still it crashes randomly and frequently.