Sign in to follow this  
jimcarrel

Black Box BN-2 Islander updated.

Don't get rid of your 1.1.7 installer, The new 2.0.0 version might not be likable. I on the other hand, deleted the old installer. Now I wish I still had it.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

What don't you like about it? 

It doesn't seem to be in the Marketplace yet.  I read where the older version needs to be uninstalled first?

Edited by ricka47

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

The new version has the models/liveries split into subsections, so you'll need to edit the aircraft.cfg (and maybe model.cfg) files in any freeware liveries you might have to match.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

53 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

Don't get rid of your 1.1.7 installer, The new 2.0.0 version might not be likable. I on the other hand, deleted the old installer. Now I wish I still had it.

I still have mine, so why would I prefer to go back?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Where is it? I bought directly from BBS and don't see anything to download in their Client Center (or whatever it's called.) Tried two different browsers, Firefox and Edge to be sure.

Unless the update to v2 is a new purchase?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

21 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

You should have a new email from them with a link.  It is a totally free upgrade.

I have installed it but not tried it yet.  Not sure what Jim doesn't  like. Hopefully he can tell us.

I think ITB Simulations and AvAngel gave it favourable reviews.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

23 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

You should have a new email from them with a link.  It is a totally free upgrade.

Thank you, got it.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, Twenty6 said:

Where is it? I bought directly from BBS and don't see anything to download in their Client Center (or whatever it's called.) Tried two different browsers, Firefox and Edge to be sure.

They normally e-mail you if you bought it from BlackBox.

• Upvote 1

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

I like the new version a lot - but then I really liked the original.

It's still not the prettiest plane around and I'd like to see some options for the avionics but I think it does look better & sounds better than v1 and still flies like an Islander. (Quite happy the G1000 in the Milviz Porter seems broken in SU10 as it gives me plenty of excuse to fly the Islander instead in FSE)

Edited by Matchstick

This new version is difficult to control in pitch.  It seems to continually dolphin about, and even the auto-pilot has problems keeping it level.

On flap application, it pitches / balloons higher than the maximum control deflection can control it - you have to work the trim fast to get it back under control.  The second stage flap does the same again.
If you retract first stage flap it goes wildly the other way and tris to kill you by diving into the ground!  It takes maximum pull back on the stick and then loads of nose up trim to catch it.

So I am not sure if this is what Jim is on about, but it seems like the flight model might need some work.  It is certainly very unstable in pitch on my PC.

Other than that, all the model, panel, and sound improvements etc. seem good.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

44 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

This new version is difficult to control in pitch.  It seems to continually dolphin about, and even the auto-pilot has problems keeping it level.

On flap application, it pitches / balloons higher than the maximum control deflection can control it - you have to work the trim fast to get it back under control.  The second stage flap does the same again.

Good observation and good job putting this into words, as I was trying to think how to explain my issue with several planes in MSFS. That problem seems more common now on several planes since a few versions ago (maybe started in SU 6 to SU 8). It also happens on the Diamond a bit more slightly, whereas the Diamond used to be one of the most stable planes with flaps at low speeds. 

It seems to even cause more bouncing off the runway sometimes when trying to land, even planes that are best landed right above stall speed. I'm not a real pilot, and I don't doubt the plane should bob up or down a tiny bit, but to do it repeatedly for 3-5 seconds like many planes now do even after you have recovered and are well above stall speed...

That said, I guess overall it's still the Sim we always dreamed of, I just need to find a "new" best plane to fly as a regular. Some of my old regular fliers have seemed less stable than normal the past few months.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

7 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Good observation and good job putting this into words, as I was trying to think how to explain my issue with several planes in MSFS. That problem seems more common now on several planes since a few versions ago (maybe started in SU 6 to SU 8).

If you compare the flight model cfg files for the 1.7 and 2.0 releases, you can see that they have been completely redone.. likely to take advantage of the new Asobo flight model options.  My guess is that there is little experience with the new Asobo features and that it will take time for flight modelers to get the best out of them..  For now, you can try to replace the flight model file with the V1.7 copy, to restore the earlier flight behavior.. at least worth a try 😉

• Like 1

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you compare the flight model cfg files for the 1.7 and 2.0 releases, you can see that they have been completely redone.. likely to take advantage of the new Asobo flight model options.  My guess is that there is little experience with the new Asobo features and that it will take time for flight modelers to get the best out of them..  For now, you can try to replace the flight model file with the V1.7 copy, to restore the earlier flight behavior.. at least worth a try 😉

Good idea, but for now I'll just keep trying different planes until I find the ones I like. Sounds logical they made changes to the flight model, at first I thought it was my imagination, but I bounced some planes REAL severely at perfect landing speed and decent flare angles.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

41 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

For now, you can try to replace the flight model file with the V1.7 copy, to restore the earlier flight behavior.. at least worth a try 😉

Just tried it for the PAX version and left the CARGO version alone.. which allows me to compare the two.

The V1.7 flight model file is a lot less dramatic when extending, and particularly retracting, the flaps..

For that, the cockpit panel is much improved in V2.0 so a "hybrid" version is what I will be flying, at least for now.. 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert