Sign in to follow this  
Dreamflight767

Why do airplanes go nuts after un-pausing?

Hi:

I REALLY need to use pause at TOD and other pause functions.  But why in MSFS does it screw up the airplanes so bad?  Un-paused a flight today (PMDG 737) and the airplane violently pitched down and kept stalling.  It also used all the fuel while pause.

I was using PMDG's pause at TOD and later in the flight I used the sims built in pause.

Thanks.

Edited by Dreamflight767

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

There is no active pause in MSFS (well Ive never tried it) but the sim keeps running in background during a pause phase so the sim will be at a different state as you unpaused its something they need to address.

Don’t use active pause. There is another pause that you can map to (and you also have to map to the corresponding unpause). Look for the other pause in the menu options for mapping your keyboard.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

53 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Don’t use active pause. There is another pause that you can map to (and you also have to map to the corresponding unpause). Look for the other pause in the menu options for mapping your keyboard.

With PMDG aircraft it doesn't matter if you use active pause or regular it drains fuel while on pause

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I assumed that as the wind state was always changing in msfs, that if you paused the sim, it would find itself in a different state once unpaused due to the wind direction, velicity and updrafts and downdrafts changing slightly.  Can be slightly annoying at times, but certainly no big deal.  The same happens when coming out of slew mode.

Edited by cianpars
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Then it looks  like as far as fuel consumption goes, it's a problem with the programming on the PMDG 737, not MFS ?

At least if it works ok with the FBW A320, that's what I have to conclude...

Also, as @cianpars suggests above, it depends on for how long you remain in active pause. If for long enough that weather condditions change significantly, it looks like at unpause time you're up for party...

Yet, during last weekend when many users complained about CTDs, I was experiencing it too, but also and maybe for the 2nd time since I started using MFS, there was a sudden wind change while cruising in the Fenix A320. The AP was able to deal with it, but there was some noticeble bouncing, and I though hat flight simulators should add a smoothing filter to weather depiction in the vicinity of the present aircraft position whenever there's a weather feed update.

Edited by vgbaron
removed profane quote

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

4 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Why do airplanes go nuts after un-pausing?

Umm they don't? Using Fenix I have no issues with pause for substantial time like 1 hour-30 mins, but maybe its more of a PMDG thing? 

They do not if you are on autopilot.

OTHERWISE - they freeze in position but behave as if you let go of the controls.  If your in a dive airspeed will keep increasing until you exceed Vne, if you are in a climbing turn airspeed will drop until you stall and fall out of the sky.  All the while looking like they are frozen in position.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

They do not if you are on autopilot.

OTHERWISE - they freeze in position but behave as if you let go of the controls.  If your in a dive airspeed will keep increasing until you exceed Vne, if you are in a climbing turn airspeed will drop until you stall and fall out of the sky.  All the while looking like they are frozen in position.

Yep, that's the active pause, it seems like it's intended to work this way, so that you can freeze the position but change the flying state of the aircraft, i.e.  speed, direction, flaps etc. I wrote a bug report in the early days of MSFS in 2020, and someone on the forums explained to me that it's meant to be this way. Level D simulators apparently have a similar functionality called position freeze.

After a quick search I found a discussion on the official forums, it gives a bit of context: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/why-does-the-engine-shut-down-in-active-pause-mode/231004

Still seems weird to me to use this as the primary pause function, but I see it can be useful in certain situations. Better make sure to add a key binding for the normal pause, as others already mentioned in this thread. 

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

7 hours ago, cianpars said:

I assumed that as the wind state was always changing in msfs, that if you paused the sim, it would find itself in a different state once unpaused due to the wind direction, velicity and updrafts and downdrafts changing slightly.  Can be slightly annoying at times, but certainly no big deal.  The same happens when coming out of slew mode.

Another reason why we would need historical weather in the sim, so even if you start with live weather, it should continue with the historical weather once you have paused the sim for a few minutes.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5