Sign in to follow this  
Stavros

A Flight Across the Gobi and Taklamakan Deserts

Okay, the title is a little bit clickbait-y.

This is Air China 1215, daily service from Beijing to Kashgar, an ancient silk road city. This flight will take us across China and the deserts of Inner Mongolia, Gansu, and Xinjiang.

Join as at Beijing Capital Airport, where we begin boarding at gate C33 ahead of our 7:05am departure:

spacer.png

We've got a good passenger and cargo load, and fueled up for this 5-hour flight we are bumping right up against our MTOW of 79,300kg as we enter 18L for Departure:

spacer.png

Takeoff and Climbout from Beijing Capital:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Over the Yan Mountains, the landscape becomes much more arid:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Crossing into Inner Mongolia, it's cloudy and the mountains are creating some moderate turbulence. We are now over the Gobi Desert.

spacer.png

Now over Gansu Province, the terrain is harsh, dry, and mountainous. Whispy desert clouds pass below.

spacer.png

About 3 hours into our 5 hour flight, we cross into Xinjiang over Lop Nur, the site of the first Chinese Nuclear Test in 1964.

spacer.png

As the Gobi Desert turns into the Taklamakan desert, we see a vast expanse of sand dunes, with the Tian mountains far in the distance.

spacer.png

We are truly alone up here, and despite being over land, this is Class II airspace.

spacer.png

As we approach the western edge of the Taklan Desert, we pass over Aksu and the Kunlun Mountains.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As we begin our descent into Kashgar the clouds thicken.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kashgar feels like an Oasis after hours over the northern deserts of China. Lush, and rainy.

spacer.png

We touch down in Kashgar just after 12:30pm, 5:05 minutes after wheels up out of Beijing.

spacer.png

And we're at the gate after a quick taxi in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

No doubt my favorite part of MSFS has been the ability to fly and explore parts of the world neglected in P3D and FSX. What a treat this flight was!

Edited by StAgre
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

Very informative and a great eye-opener regarding out-of-the-way places.

John

• Like 3

Very nice shots and informations 👍

Landscape are looking awesome !

cheers 😉

• Like 2

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Fascinating post with excellent shots Sir . 

• Like 1

Great shots! I love going to these remote places. So much to discover 🙂

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Excellent and informative stuff, great shots.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Wonderful series...! I can feel the Pilot's loneliness over that vast Taklamakan Desert...🙂...thanks for sharing...!

• Like 1

Fantastic!! I just try to imagine doing a flight like this in FSX...

Naaaaah 😃

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080