Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

20 kilometer CFD around plane, coming for SU 11?

1 hour ago, btacon said:

Sim is and remains stable for me. Perhaps it’s you?

I must be imaging those two CTD threads on the first page with a combined 33 pages started 2 years ago then, and that's just the first page. I somehow don't think its just me. 

Now bobcat's reply below is the more mature and the sensible approach instead of the belittling one.

Bobcat, that makes  perfect sense providing they have (and i would assume they would) have the manpower to do so.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

I understand your sentiment, but they need to fix things as they go, while also developing the sim, otherwise we will be waiting a long time for things such as gliders and proper helicopter dynamics etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pan pan pan said:

Now bobcat's reply below is the more mature and the sensible approach instead of the belittling one.

No lack of maturity from me. Perhaps it’s you?

BTW I’m well aware of the CTD threads. My comment to you remains the same. My system is stable. You suggest that yours is not. Again, perhaps it’s  you?

Edited by btacon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pan pan pan said:

Honestly, i think the priority should be to get the Sim stable, rather than this fluffy stuff.

I think the MSFS team can walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Like 4

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Why are we making a topic about this now? It's old news. The Q&A where he said this has been discussed already...

3 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Why are we making a topic about this now? It's old news. The Q&A where he said this has been discussed already...

I didn't see a topic dedicated for this feature and IMO, this is a huge and important feature, to help improve the flight dynamics in MSFS.  In addition, SU 11 is approaching and we may finally see this feature in SU 11.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Computational Fluid Dynamics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_fluid_dynamics

For flight simulation, it simulates the flow of air over the wings, the hull, etc.

Thanks.  Just knowing now what the acronym stands for makes clear that it is not fluffy in the least.

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

And the percentage of MSFS users  that fly gliders is what, maybe 1% at most. 

I suspect it to be more than  1%, anyway, the modelling of such features as you know as a real world pilot too, has considerable impact also over most GA aircraft.

As you have probably experienced in your RL flights, turbulence in convection can have quite an effect flying a Piper, a Cessna, a Beechcraft, and surely any ULM... Gliders are just one more type, and given their soaring characteristics they can additionaly try to turn inside of the rising air currents, although I've been able to do it too in an ULM I was once given the chance to fly from the right seat.

Any progress in the way airflow interaction with the aircfraft is modeled will positively impact the outcome of ASOBO's so called CFD approach.

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

5 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

I guess regardless of the 40th anniv edition being delayed or being released on the currently planned date Nov 11th, the new CFD powered airflow and flight dynamics improvements will be coming with that release for sure, since it'll introduce gliders and helicopters as a core part of the sim.

I didn't think about gliders and helos, that would really mean it has to come in SU11. Niiiiice 😄 

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

double post

Edited by rka

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

1 hour ago, rka said:

I didn't think about gliders and helos, that would really mean it has to come in SU11. Niiiiice 😄 

Yup! ... also worth seeing the new details and reveals they did at the recent Gamescom event in late August about helicopter physics and the airflow visualizations, from this timestamp onwards: https://youtu.be/_AAiraI837U?t=2289

Gliders: https://youtu.be/_AAiraI837U?t=2573 "... once in the air to stay in the air you need to find places where the air goes up, experienced glider pilots will know where to find updrafts, but we added a system to see them in the environment ...", which at the very least confirms that atmospheric airflow visualizations are coming in SU11. 

Hopefully they'll go into more details in the upcoming Q&As and feature discovery videos before SU11.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I wonder why they arbitrarily chose 20 km.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, Mace said:

I wonder why they arbitrarily chose 20 km.

This is my guess as I am not on the MSFS development team and none of us are, except for the odd Working Title folk that post here in the Avsim forum.  But it was probably a trade off with performance.  Of course, if they could do a 50 KM CFD, or 100 KM CFD, they would do that, if it didn't really affect performance.  For a 10 KM CFD, it's a smaller area covered, but I assume they tested a 20 KM CFD and found it worked well enough without too much of a performance hit.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, any number is sort of arbitrary. 16.82 would have been stranger still 😄

21 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Whats a CFD?

a CFD is when you ...

two CFDs are even more dynamic.

"That's what" he 😊

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.