Sign in to follow this  
ianlighting

It's not over until the fat lady sings! with X-Plane 12

Before we all start writing off X Plane 12. 

First and foremost, this is early Beta! very important to understand with LR 🙂

Secondly is keep in mind that Orbx have jumped on board with XP12 and ortho is likely too improve.

Third point and most important is that this is version 1.0 which is hot of the press before we get all those wonderful updates.

I think that LR have approach this in the right way with an open heart with listening from all simmers with what works and what doesn't with the good the bad and the ugly as some youtubers have coined to offer a final product with X Plane 12 which was never offered by team MS....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

This seems to be a straw man argument.
No one is writing off X-Plane 12.
It is abundantly clear what X-Plane 12 is 

X-Plane 12 Early Access is available now.

"Team MS" have nothing to do with X-Plane 12.
YouTube is hardly the most reliable source of any opinion.

• Like 3

Yep. I hesitated at first, but ended up buying a copy. I was going to wait for it to mature a bit, but figured "hey, I know I'm going to buy it eventually" so went ahead and got it after looking back at some of the teaser vids. Only had a couple of short attempted flights so far, so not going to rush to judgement at this point. It looks a long way off the quality of the teasers, but I guess that's to be expected.

Big fan of MSFS, it's where I've spent 99.9999% of my sim time since it arrived, but the LA area with all my various addons in XP11 is still possibly my favourite bit of airspace. It's the roads and rails that XP does so much better than MSFS, and as I fly mainly at not much above a couple of hundred feet these make it all feel much more lifelike. So far with XP12 these have been disappointing, but I assume they'll get back to at least XP11 levels before too long.

Anyway, I'm in, and even though it's unlikely to replace MSFS for me as my main sim I'm very glad to see it here.

• Like 6

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

@ Andy 

I agree Andy their items I love about MSFS like PMDG, the Maddog and Fennix but, there is a lot I really hate with the optimization in MSFS currently which I'm using a RTX 3080ti OC but with X Plane 12 I notice that we are getting a great FPS.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ianlighting said:

Before we all start writing off X Plane 12. 

First and foremost, this is early Beta! very important to understand with LR 🙂

Secondly is keep in mind that Orbx have jumped on board with XP12 and ortho is likely too improve.

Third point and most important is that this is version 1.0 which is hot of the press before we get all those wonderful updates.

I think that LR have approach this in the right way with an open heart with listening from all simmers with what works and what doesn't with the good the bad and the ugly as some youtubers have coined to offer a final product with X Plane 12 which was never offered by team MS....

Well said:

It is a shame that you have to keep reminding folks of this as if this is their first rodeo at this. People who can't accept that beta does not mean final should remember the cries for exercise patient for that other sim that been going on for more 2 years, has not always been a stellar release on its updates. At lease for this who havex X-Plane 11, you still can run the beta and all of its updates without losing all of the your addons and setup of the old version and if it breaks and if your kept a backup copy, you can easy delete the broken copy restore the backup and you back in business.  A far cry from the alternative. 

• Like 1

I hesitate to post this but do so in the interest of illustrating what kind of company Laminar truly is.  I own XP11 and purchased XP12 immediately upon EA release.  Yesterday I requested a refund in part due to the discrepancies I see between teaser videos and the EA product.  I was immediately issued a refund.  This is a far cry from MS near as I can tell and TBH unexpected.  I removed XP12 and will continue to use XP11 when the fancy strikes and truly hope as I said in my response to the refund, to return and purchase it for twice as much at some point.   Economy being what it is I cannot justify the expense at this point and wish Laminar well with XP12.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ianlighting said:

But at what cost? £50 for a postage stamp plus all the necessary storage? It cost me £300 just for GB and the West Coast of the USA for XP11. This is going to be a rich man's sport.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, ianlighting said:

@ Andy 

I agree Andy their items I love about MSFS like PMDG, the Maddog and Fennix but, there is a lot I really hate with the optimization in MSFS currently which I'm using a RTX 3080ti OC but with X Plane 12 I notice that we are getting a great FPS.....

if you considered the visual fidelity we get in XP12 versus MSFS, we are not getting great FPS. XP12 is still heavily CPU bottleneck for now. I don't know how why you say optimization is bad in MSFS as I get twice as much FPS in MSFS than I do with XP12. I am not sure what is going one with your system but I cam guessing you have a weak cpu to go with that 3080Ti.  It's still a beta. things, it  will improved. I saw it's listed in the known bugs that performance is still a work in progress in XP12. It's am improvement over XP11 but I wouldn't call this great fps. 

Edited by fogboundturtle
  • Like 6

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

58 minutes ago, badgenes said:

Yesterday I requested a refund in part due to the discrepancies I see between teaser videos and the EA product.  I was immediately issued a refund.

I'm considering doing the same.  How did you go about requesting a refund?

• Like 1

I'm just delighted there is a viable alternative to MSFS.  I do not have room in my life for two flight sims and after PMDG 738 arrived I'm glued more than ever to MSFS.  But sheeet happens and if n when MS ever decides to end MSFS it's great to know there is something other than P3D to fall back on.  Sounds like some very nice improvements have come to XP in XP-12 and there is more to come. 

• Like 4

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 minutes ago, Noel said:

I'm just delighted there is a viable alternative to MSFS.  I do not have room in my life for two flight sims and after PMDG 738 arrived I'm glued more than ever to MSFS.  But sheeet happens and if n when MS ever decides to end MSFS it's great to know there is something other than P3D to fall back on.  Sounds like some very nice improvements have come to XP in XP-12 and there is more to come. 

I agree and personally I WANT XP to offer something different to MSFS - we already have a sim that concentrates on offering stunning visuals and it's crazy to try competing with that so it makes sense to go for a different experience and excel at things that MSFS doesn't.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Noel said:

yes and when MSFS server are having issue, it's good to have another flight sim that you can feed the addiction.

• Like 4

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

5 hours ago, ianlighting said:

Why would any simmer want to subject themselves to a third-party eco system that literally cost 1000% more than what's currently available on another base sim?  I have absolutely no desire to return to a paradigm that requires me to purchase hundreds of dollars of sceneries just to execute proper VRF flights; moreover, even after said scenery purchases, it will look NO WHERE near as good as the competition.  Outside of flight modeling (which third-party modelers can overcome), and superior default aircraft, I struggle to find any significant advantages XP12 has over the competition.  Laminar has earned the criticism for not moving the needle forward in a meaningful way; IMO, this is a byproduct of MSFS setting a new standard that other developers now have to reach.  Finally, there doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz around this release;  if you look AVSIM, there was a thread announcing XP12 availability with just 2 pages on release day and only 6 now; the thread is also dominated by four posters; the same posters dominated the good, bad, and ugly thread.  Compare that to the other sims beta releases and you'll note the disparity in the market, which appears to be wide. 

To be clear, XP is a fine simulator and I thought they were on a trajectory to far outpace P3D; however, with the technological advances MSFS brought, coupled with amazing third-party aircraft, I see no reason whatsoever to return to XP.  Although, I understand the reasoning of those that do...

Edited by kingm56
  • Like 10

Matt King

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

But at what cost? £50 for a postage stamp plus all the necessary storage? It cost me £300 just for GB and the West Coast of the USA for XP11. This is going to be a rich man's sport.

Its very ironic that you didn't mind getting the PMDG 737-800 when it was release when you could have been flying the Zebo mods or any of the Levelup variance for free?  Yet because it XP you want to call it a rich man sport because your afraid you going to spend £50? 

• Like 3