Sign in to follow this  
ianlighting

It's not over until the fat lady sings! with X-Plane 12

It is not over. They can still improve and polish things up. The question for me now is, how long is this going to take? I don't think they'll be pumping out updates like Asobo. In my opinion, this is at least another 1-2 years with the resources that they have. 

Maybe a couple more months and a free expanded beta with a few thousand people was needed. At the same time, they probably needed the cash flow and felt the pressure from fans and MSFS. At lot of small developers use early access to generate cash flow in order to complete games.

It's an early access release but at the same time it feels like a full release given all the hype. The promotions increased the expectation, and many expected a more polished sim.

I downloaded the demo and flew around for a bit on the first day. I tried it again last night and there was already an update(good). This time I hop in A330 and put the throttle full blast. The plane nosed down a little, I released the parking brake, and it didn't move. Restarted the sim, switched over to the Cessna and it was the same story. I already calibrated devices so not sure. I would probably be a bit frustrated if I paid $60 unless your aim is just to support them until full release.

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

25 minutes ago, brinx said:

It is not over. They can still improve and polish things up. The question for me now is, how long is this going to take? I don't think they'll be pumping out updates like Asobo. In my opinion, this is at least another 1-2 years with the resources that they have. 

I don't think is going to take as long as you think. Remember they are no longer handcuff in needing to convert to a new graphic engine (Vulkan), that's all done. They retired OpenGl to X-plane 11. VR is done. All of the other improvements are in during the past release, PBR, Particle system Fmods sound and 3D water are all in. The modeling will only be an enhancements going forward. So all they have to do are performance improves and adding and testing what will work and will not when it come to ground texture and other graphic related items. Ofcourse, additional work on the cloud will hopefully get iron out during beta as well as putting a airbus mcdu in the A330.  I might miss somethings but that is just what I can think of, off the top.

Edited by BobFS88

I have all XP versions from XP 9. Actively using XP 11. I own and use almost all other simulators in the market, but XP is always my first choice.

I bought XP 12 yesterday and expend hours doing several tests and comparing with XP 11.

I know is early access, I know is beta, I know there is a lot to be done… but don’t forget…I paid money for it… They don’t give beta or early access for free. I expect something fair in return.

The thought that is always around my brains when I use it, is: I expected more… probably much more.

They say it has a lot of improvements: clouds, weather, water, rain, runway effects…

My feelings after some test flights: I feel like flying in XP 11 with 10 to 15 fps loss.

I can evaluate things based on my experience and what I feel, what is in the papers is useless if I cannot feel it or touch it.

I like LR a lot… and I like XP a lot… and I have in mind is an early access, and a beta, and looking forward to all of those great updates that LR will release not sure when…

But so far, the truth is that I’m somehow disappointed. Although I will very happy to take back all of what I said if they do what they have to do.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BobFS88 said:

Its very ironic that you didn't mind getting the PMDG 737-800 when it was release when you could have been flying the Zebo mods or any of the Levelup variance for free?  Yet because it XP you want to call it a rich man sport because your afraid you going to spend £50? 

It's not ironic. For XP11 I meant that I paid £50 for OrbX GB south. £50 for OrbX GB Central. £50 for OrbX GB north. £50 for California South. £50 for California North.  £50 Oregon. £50 Washington. £50 Florida. And you want me to pay more???o

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jarmstro said:

It's not ironic. For XP11 I meant that I paid £50 for OrbX GB south. £50 for OrbX GB Central. £50 for OrbX GB north. £50 for California South. £50 for California North.  £50 Oregon. £50 Washington. £50 Florida. And you want me to pay more???o

Perhaps your memory is playing tricks.
None of those cost £50.
The entire TEGB collection is now only £54.

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

Perhaps your memory is playing tricks.
None of those cost £50.
The entire TEGB collection is now only £54.

92 USD for the 4 TEGB collection. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

4 minutes ago, Reader said:

There are only three products, South, Central and North.
The bundle price for these is indeed $92.04.
However, the dollars are Australian and not American.
TrueEarth Great Britain Collection Bundle - X-Plane 11 - Orbx (orbxdirect.com)

do you know how much it cost me to get all of UK in MSFS ? 0$. do you know how much it cost me to get the rest of the world ? 0$.  

I am not saying Orbx does not offer a better solution than default scenery but the cost is way too high. 

• Like 2

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Hello all,

I have paid 0 dollars (AUD or USD) for True Earth Australia scenery, mostly because it does not exist.  To my knowledge, there is only one ORBX Australian scenery and that is Broome in Western Australia. Actually, and I am very prepared to be corrected, that is the ONLY Australian payware scenery available for XPlane.

To be fair though, there is a lot of freeware Australian scenery that is reasonable quality to say the least, and I am incredibly grateful to the community for that freeware.

As I only fly in Australia, my costs are confined to utilities and to aircraft. The new Aerobask Viper is the only aircraft they sell that I do not own and those aircraft alone are enough to keep me interested. However I find I cannot help myself and I own considerably more aircraft than those in my XPlane fleet.  

I am very definitely going to buy XPL12 but as an aged Pensioner, it will take a little time (as it does with any aircraft or utility purchases) and I am happy for the bugs to be ironed out whilst I wait and save.

I have great hopes for all of my flight sims ... XPlane is just one of them.

Regards to all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

29 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

do you know how much it cost me to get all of UK in MSFS ? 0$. do you know how much it cost me to get the rest of the world ? 0$. 

It is hard to see how that could possibly be relevant to users of X Plane.
You were very fortunate to have obtained a copy of MSFS without paying for it though. 

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MadDog said:

I'm considering doing the same.  How did you go about requesting a refund?

I emailed sales@x-plane.com and respectfully requested this based upon my disappointment.  I also explained that I genuinely felt bad doing so, but times being what they are $60.00 is $60.00.  They were very magnanimous.

42 minutes ago, badgenes said:

I emailed sales@x-plane.com and respectfully requested this based upon my disappointment.

Thanks.  I contacted Laminar through their support page and they provided a refund within about 6 hours... very responsive!  Will be keeping tabs to see if the "fat lady" has any decent songs in her repertoire; but at this point, I just don't feel it's enough of an upgrade to justify holding on to it.

6 hours ago, brinx said:

this is at least another 1-2 years with the resources that they have.

Your assuming a lot hasnt being done, Just because its not in the current release for us "testers" doesnt mean they already have it in progress, Vulkan was 2 years before we saw it in 11. They took the sensible approach, lets get the base working with users, get the improved performance than add the rest. At least they are not swamped with bugs. Its actually remarkably stable.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, jarmstro said:

You were not compel to buy all of those scenery packages from Orbx when you could just get by with a few airports and fill in with Othos for free if you value money that much. But that was your choice if need to see the writing on a stanglass of a church from 35000. X Plane didn't twist you arm and said you had to buy them that deserve contempt for a partnership with Orbx. I bought all of those packages like you and still see the partnership as a good thing. 

9 hours ago, jarmstro said:

But at what cost? £50 for a postage stamp plus all the necessary storage? It cost me £300 just for GB and the West Coast of the USA for XP11. This is going to be a rich man's sport.

Have only tried a couple (Florida and all the GB) of the XP11 TE products but they have all worked fine so far. Might not need to buy replacements, just symlink to the existing versions.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.