Sign in to follow this  
vin747

Need advice: 4K monitor FPS impact SU10

I looked it up. Looks nice but i prefer 16:9 aspect ratio and also bigger screen so that I can read the tiny PFD on CRJs 🙂

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

As far as I can tell an important aspect on performance is memory throughput. I have a 9900k and had a 2080 and upgraded now to 3090 OC for 4K gaming. Well I was also struggling a bit.

I then overclocked my CPU from default 3.6 to 4.5 GHz which was improving a bit. But a even bigger impact had to set the RAM from 2133 to 2666. Now I’m running locked 30 fps also in NY.

I also ordered now DDR4 RAM with 3600 and CL16 and I guess this improves this further.

2 minutes ago, AGuther said:

As far as I can tell an important aspect on performance is memory throughput. I have a 9900k and had a 2080 and upgraded now to 3090 OC for 4K gaming. Well I was also struggling a bit.

I then overclocked my CPU from default 3.6 to 4.5 GHz which was improving a bit. But a even bigger impact had to set the RAM from 2133 to 2666. Now I’m running locked 30 fps also in NY.

I also ordered now DDR4 RAM with 3600 and CL16 and I guess this improves this further.

Memory speed doesn't really matter on Intel but do on Ryzen. It just the way they have been design. the issue is IPC of your CPU. Clock speed doesn't improved the efficiency of your CPU to do instruction per clock. This is why you really need to upgrade to a 12th gen or 13th gen Intel or 7000 Series AMD CPU. You will take better advantage of your 3090 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Nothing more easy to answer than such a question: thanks to nVIDIA DSR, you can already test on your current monitor if 4K results in acceptable FPS. Simply turn the highest possible DSR factors on in the nVIDIA driver menue and select 4K inside the sim and check for yourself. The downscaling needs some ressources, but those are neglectable.

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, vin747 said:

Ok some good inputs here. I’m choosing LG because it has game mode which supposedly reduces input lag. Any advice here on using tv as monitor vis a vis latency etc. 

there are some cheaper brands like Xiaomi or TCL that offer 50 inches at the same cost of LG 43 inch. So that’s another dilemma. 

LG C2 42 or 48in ....I currently have the C1 and it is amazing

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

3 hours ago, vin747 said:

Can the 3090 handle 4K with fully loaded payware addons, HIGH/ULTRA settings?

Yes. Most likely the CPU will be the limiting factor. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

4 hours ago, vin747 said:

Ok some good inputs here. I’m choosing LG because it has game mode which supposedly reduces input lag. Any advice here on using tv as monitor vis a vis latency etc. 

there are some cheaper brands like Xiaomi or TCL that offer 50 inches at the same cost of LG 43 inch. So that’s another dilemma. 

The main decision is VA panel or non-VA in this price range. If you fly in the evening or at night a lot, get whichever TV has the highest contrast ratio, unless you are worried about ghosting and play a lot of other games. Of course OLED is much better, but more expensive. The TCL has decent input lag, it won't matter for a flight sim anyhow (not unless you get over about 50ms).

I can recommend the TCL S435 series 43-50" for the price, they are great. I have the 43" version and it was just right. The sharpness is very similar to the Dell and Samsung monitors I compared them to, and the contrast ratio is about 5000:1 after calibration, higher than any non-OLED monitor in this price range.

If you do absolutely no night flying, then contrast won't matter. You have to go to websites to find the contrast ratio, I used this site as it is fairly accurate (I measured some of the contrast on some of the monitors they reviewed with a colorimeter and they pretty much matched the site).

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/4-series-s435-2020

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram