Sign in to follow this  
gianmarcoragazzoni

DLSS and navigation display blurry

Hi,

I ask for advice from the most experienced. I have updated with the new Nvidia drivers and using the new DLSS setting, both with DX11 and DX12, I always have the navigation display blurry. Tested with both the PMDG and the Fenix.
Do I have to set some other parameters to remove the blur?
I use an RTX Super 2070 Rog Strix.

Thanks.

Known issue, Asobo have said they're working with nVidia to possibly create a "mask" over the panels, maybe for SU11 but nothing set in stone.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

There's nothing you can do about it until Asobo implements an exclusion box around the displays that prevents them from being processed by DLSS. 

• Like 1

Use the Game filter in the GeForce Experience overlay made available by nVidia. I use a bit of additional Sharpen to achieve an acceptably readable flat panel display in the PMDG 737. You can also tweak the Gamma in the Brightness/Contrast tab to brighten the midtones in the cockpit panels, which helps with the dark cockpits/bright exterior problems often discussed in this forum.

Eventually nVidia will fix the DLSS blurry displays, but this works quite well in the interim. Easy peasy using easily accessible tools, and it's easily reversible if the result isn't up to your standards.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I tried enabling DSR at the NCPanel at 1,78x and 50% smoothness, and switching from my native 1080p resolution to 2560p, and got almost no more blurry images at DLSS DX12

• Like 1

During the beta, the screens were very blurry, now with the live version, the screens look great, even in VR. Not as sharp as TAA, but still very readable and clear.

• Like 1

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

On 10/1/2022 at 9:04 PM, V1ROTA7E said:

During the beta, the screens were very blurry, now with the live version, the screens look great, even in VR. Not as sharp as TAA, but still very readable and clear.

No? 3060Ti / DLSS Quality. Not only MFDs are blurry but almost all textures etc too.

Could it differ this much from system to system?

12 minutes ago, gearsdown said:

No? 3060Ti / DLSS Quality. Not only MFDs are blurry but almost all textures etc too.

No, he clearly is using a different setting or something because what he's saying is simply incorrect. 

Edited by Chapstick

6 minutes ago, gearsdown said:

It must do, or maybe you have a setting out somewhere. 
The only textures that are blurry for the vast majority of people are the flat screens, and even that is tolerable for me now.
4k, DX11, DLSS (quality), Sharpening set in the userconfig file, and in sim at 100.

Maybe I have just gotten used to it.  I can see the text on the flat screens is not quite as sharp as it used to be under TAA, but it is easily readable, and I am not going back on DLSS as it adds a massive performance boost on my PC, mainly in the form of being silky smooth everywhere, but also my 3080Ti runs so cool and quiet. 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, solito said:

I tried enabling DSR at the NCPanel at 1,78x and 50% smoothness, and switching from my native 1080p resolution to 2560p, and got almost no more blurry images at DLSS DX12

Yep, i did the same, awsome results but can cost some FPS if you are short in this regard. 

On 10/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, solito said:

Isn't that counter intuitive when using DLSS? DLSS works by rendering at a lower resolution which the card can process faster, then upscaling to the desired output resolution. If you are starting from a higher resolution then then that is going to negate some of the benefit of DLSS although I haven't tested to what degree. It may be better just leaving it at 1080p and using TAA instead.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

I don't know if this will help, but after living with the DLSS blurry effect since the beginning, yesterday, by chance, I got it solved. It may not help everyone but may trigger some thoughts that can lead to a wider fix.

I was messing with my monitor because depicts very orangy faces when opening pics (so nothing to do with the simulator). A modest 4K 43UN700 3840 x 2160 60MHz.. Cutting the story short (you can always ask), eventually, and I did quite a lot of things, it was reading the monitor specs and learnt that, depending on the settings I chose (monitor options) I could have 3840 x 2160 60MHz 8 bit colour depth and YCbCr 4:2:0 or 4:2:2... don't asked me what the later means...

So I set up the monitor to be able to use those specifications and went to Nvidia control panel. Under Display > Change resolution > 3. Apply the following settings, I ticked Use Nvidia colour settings. This opens 4 settings to modify and I only changed "output colour format" from RGB to YCbCr 4:2:0 (the others remain Highest (32bits), 8 bcp and limited).

For start, the colours are now great (no more orangy faces on my pics!) but the blurry displays are gone and there is no difference with TAA. (I tried to make a pic with sniping tool to show but it doesn't capture the sharpness)

Just my 2 cents

Best

Kano

P.S: I try to put my specs in the signature in a minute. My simulator settings are all at the top, the computer handle it very smooth even at Heathrow with the PMDG, so no fancy tricks, just what I explained above

Kano

Intel i9-12900KF (no overclocked), MSI RTX 3090 Gamin Trio, 64GB XPG Lancer DDR5-5200, Asus ROG STRIX Z690-F Gaming, Seasonic Prime TX 1000w Titanium, Alphacool Eisbaer 280, Fractal Define 7 XL, LG 43UN700 4K

49 minutes ago, kanoasurf2 said:

I don't know if this will help, but after living with the DLSS blurry effect since the beginning, yesterday, by chance, I got it solved. It may not help everyone but may trigger some thoughts that can lead to a wider fix.

I was messing with my monitor because depicts very orangy faces when opening pics (so nothing to do with the simulator). A modest 4K 43UN700 3840 x 2160 60MHz.. Cutting the story short (you can always ask), eventually, and I did quite a lot of things, it was reading the monitor specs and learnt that, depending on the settings I chose (monitor options) I could have 3840 x 2160 60MHz 8 bit colour depth and YCbCr 4:2:0 or 4:2:2... don't asked me what the later means...

So I set up the monitor to be able to use those specifications and went to Nvidia control panel. Under Display > Change resolution > 3. Apply the following settings, I ticked Use Nvidia colour settings. This opens 4 settings to modify and I only changed "output colour format" from RGB to YCbCr 4:2:0 (the others remain Highest (32bits), 8 bcp and limited).

For start, the colours are now great (no more orangy faces on my pics!) but the blurry displays are gone and there is no difference with TAA. (I tried to make a pic with sniping tool to show but it doesn't capture the sharpness)

Just my 2 cents

Best

Kano

P.S: I try to put my specs in the signature in a minute. My simulator settings are all at the top, the computer handle it very smooth even at Heathrow with the PMDG, so no fancy tricks, just what I explained above

OK I'll bite......

Nope, still blurry for me. I like the colours though. I'll keep them but it's back to DX11/TAA for me.

Edited by jarmstro

On 10/3/2022 at 9:16 AM, Donka said:

Isn't that counter intuitive when using DLSS? DLSS works by rendering at a lower resolution which the card can process faster, then upscaling to the desired output resolution. If you are starting from a higher resolution then then that is going to negate some of the benefit of DLSS although I haven't tested to what degree. It may be better just leaving it at 1080p and using TAA instead.

I tried DLSS a couple of months ago, blurry was the result, back to TAA..

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310