Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Now... this IS bumpy....

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Was flying last weekend in a Sting S4, at 2500' over water nice day CAVOK and it was silky smoothy, climbing to 3500' in the same location we got intermittent teeth jarring turbulence that would have had us hitting our heads on the canopy if we unbuckled. At one point in a sustained turn the angle of bank went from 30 degrees to 60 degrees almost instantly. We had to lose some altitude fairly promptly to get out of it.

Similar turbulence in MSFS would generate a batch of complaints.

Probably right, the only time I ever flown in a small plane was at night in calm weather, so there was no turbulence. Plane was not that small, it was a 20 seater. Other than that, I'd just say I don't often feel much turbulence in the PMDG 737-600, seems unrealistically "turbulent light", but I don't know, I really have mostly been flying in non-turbulent areas in the game, other than when I cross mountainous regions. There is a lot more turbulence in the summer I believe though, since cold air is more stable usually.

I did fly through that blizzard in Telluride Co a week ago, but I also crashed partly because of an FMS bug. The plane went into a spin while I was messing with the FMS, but the winds were 40-60mph and the airport was closed in real life. There were gusts in the mountains that day close to 80mph. I felt some slight turbulence on approach, but nothing major, but I don't recall exactly what the game said the wind speed was so maybe it was still realistic. Not sure why my plane went into a spin, maybe because I accidentally got too slow given the high cross-winds, I guess that is what happened.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

11 hours ago, ha5mvo said:

Admittedly, I'm no "senior fleet captain" , nor do I make 15 Mil....

I'm no zealot either who'd jump at the sight of any heretic trying to criticize their favorite toy. 

Pointing out the shortcomings of an addon or the platform isn't "stirring the pot", at least not in my book. Wouldn't hurt you listening and actually checking out some of that stuff from time to time. Who knows, perhaps even a "senior captain" could learn something new...

Bob thinks he's the only one who is always right and the others are 1diots. 

Just now, Jeeeno said:

Bob thinks he's the only one who is always right and the others are 1diots. 

I see two who always think the sim is bad and many who give it an "acceptable-rating". You remind me on the man, who drove on the highway hearing a warning in the radio about a wrong-way driver on his route, who then said: "what do they mean with one wrong-way driver? There are hundreds!".

• Like 2

I'm certainly not the only one saying the gust/turbulence model is not realistic. 

35 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

I see two who always think the sim is bad and many who give it an "acceptable-rating". You remind me on the man, who drove on the highway hearing a warning in the radio about a wrong-way driver on his route, who then said: "what do they mean with one wrong-way driver? There are hundreds!".

It's more than acceptable, but the discussion was whether or not the turbulence is realistic.
To me, it's halfway there, but they need to make a few adjustments.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, I really am not taking a hardliner stance on this, it just felt more fluid in the old MS Flight, which is the reference I always use to judge wind turbulence in a sim.

As with a lot of things in the sim, I'm sure a gusts/turbulence will require some dialing in.  What we have now is a good baseline for future improvement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, I really am not taking a hardliner stance on this, it just felt more fluid in the old MS Flight, which is the reference I always use to judge wind turbulence in a sim.

But surely real world turbulence is a better reference ?

I have no huge issues with current turbulence modelling btw. It is not perfect, but could easily be much worse.

5 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

But surely real world turbulence is a better reference ?

I have no huge issues with current turbulence modelling btw. It is not perfect, but could easily be much worse.

I don't know, I'll have to find some places with high winds and try a few planes. It's impossible to fully simulate real world turbulence since we aren't in motion, so there is that. MS Flight just felt special to me, and I haven't recaptured that moment (yet), but I haven't tried that hard to be frank.

Edit - Just looked

Dutch Harbor, AK (Unalaska) has some 25 mph winds right now (maybe I'll grab that payware)
Jamaica, Honduras, and Belize have a tropical system in the area I can try. 

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I don't know, I'll have to find some places with high winds and try a few planes.
It's impossible to fully simulate real world turbulence since we aren't in motion, so there is that.
MS Flight just felt special to me, and I haven't recaptured that moment (yet), but I haven't tried that hard to be frank.

Maybe Alaska has some bad weather today.

To be honest the turbulence and sudden sink near hills is not too bad in sim though the effect should still be felt a bit farther away (as in many miles away if there is a strong enough wind at altitude) to be truly realistic.

However it seems to be the games attempts at modelling thermal generated turbulence that generate the most complaints, in particular for lighter aircraft users who fly with a fixed camera. 

56 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

I'm certainly not the only one saying the gust/turbulence model is not realistic. 

Almost. There is hardly anbody else who is as critical and vocal as you two are. I just say, that I see two totally negative posters running against a wall of neutral or positive votes. Considering that, you must admit that you make bold claims without providing much substance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

Almost. There is hardly anbody else who is as critical and vocal as you two are. I just say, that I see two totally negative posters running against a wall of neutral or positive votes. Considering that, you must admit that you make bold claims without providing much substance.

Neither people claiming turbulence is realistic are providing much substance to their statements. Because saying "I'm a real world pilot and once in 1989 I had turbulence" is pretty much nonsense. 

Flying the Fenix into Heathrow this morning, forecast wind is 240 @ 29 gusting to 39,landing on rwy 24R.   This should be fun...😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, Jeeeno said:

Because saying "I'm a real world pilot and once in 1989 I had turbulence" is pretty much nonsense. 

We get turbulence whenever the wind is Westerly, which is most mornings.  If the wind is Easterly coming off the ocean, everything is fine.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:02 AM, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Talk about your bumpy rides:

I take it you didn't look at the video linked to in the original post, which was the subject of this thread?😉

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)