Sign in to follow this  
jrw4

PMDG 737 models updated

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

1 hour ago, jrw4 said:

Congrats to the PMDG team.

Reminds me of the 2008 days, when the PMDG MD-11 had to deal with sudden wind shifts in FSX upper atmosphere simulation.  PMDG had a devil of a time programming to mitigate that.  But they did eventually get it handling the wind shifts well.  Maybe I'll post that in the thread you linked to see if they comment on it at all.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Just had an 89 knot tailwind that changed to 49 knots during cruise at FL370.  It threw the plane around pretty good, but at least it didn't overspeed. Gusts are causing a 400 foot change in altitude.  Still getting a pronounced see-saw effect as it tries to recover after the wind shifts at cruise.  Currently using SU11 beta on a flight from KSJC to KDEN and the gusts are crazy.

That’s a weather model issue though. RW winds wouldn’t shift like that suddenly…and they didn’t used to in MSFS either…hopefully the get eradicated in due course. 

Edited by ianb2469
Grammar
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ianb2469 said:

That’s a weather model issue though. RW winds wouldn’t shift like that suddenly…and they didn’t used to in MSFS either…hopefully the get eradicated in due course. 

I agree and that is what PMDG is dealing with right now.  They are trying to mitigate the very over done turbulence effects.  I am happy that I am not over-speeding during cruise after this update as it is an automatic 7-point loss in A Pilots Life V2 when you do that, lol.

• Like 1

I have the opposite problem (su10), I just flew through a hurricane and had a relatively uneventful time, and just mild turbulence in the V35.

Oh there were a few bumps (don't get me wrong), but the wind wasn't pushing the plane side to side like it should have been. I think I still miss the MS Flight model, flying over Hawaii had the best wind turbulence modeling.

Landing and takeoff was more difficult than normal (the wind was around 50 on landing gusting to 65), but I never felt like I was about to crash. 

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

41 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I have the opposite problem (su10), I just flew through a hurricane and had a relatively uneventful time, and just mild turbulence in the V35.

Oh there were a few bumps (don't get me wrong), but the wind wasn't pushing the plane side to side like it should have been. I think I still miss the MS Flight model, flying over Hawaii had the best wind turbulence modeling.

Landing and takeoff was more difficult than normal (the wind was around 50 on landing gusting to 65), but I never felt like I was about to crash. 

Yeah this has been my experience too, there seems to be good wind or terrain induced turbulence but nothing from actual storms or clouds.

• Like 1

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Another wall of text that takes longer to read than the update takes to install.🙄

What is "mathematical instability"?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Another wall of text that takes longer to read than the update takes to install

AVSIM at its best 🤣

guys ...

• Like 3

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess by "mathematical instability" they really mean "where the heck are those numbers coming from".
So maybe call it "mystery math" or as George Bush used to say, "Fuzzy Math".

They unfuzzied the fuzzies.

Better yet, I call it Fonzi math (oh nm - better not go there).

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

What is "mathematical instability"?

He is talking about the wind gust in MSFS, something him (Robert R) and others complain about because they never had that behavior in the sim that they flew or programmed for in the past, you know with that "on rails" effect.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jbdbow1970 said:

He is talking about the wind gust in MSFS, something him (Robert R) and others complain about because they never had that behavior in the sim that they flew or programmed for in the past, you know with that "on rails" effect.

Indeed... as usual one needs to interpret the flood of verbage from RSR to get to the meat of what he's trying to say, but to me it reads like what any aircraft developer usually does, i.e. fixing and tuning their aircraft's flight model (FM) to a sim's aerodynamics engine. I'm away from my computer for a while so I wonder if they have implemented the new SU10 ground handling flight model tuning parameters (like the Fenix)? In the flight_model.cfg file under the "[FLIGHT_TUNING]" section if these parameters are defined then that's a yes:

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed
ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

38 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Indeed... as usual one needs to interpret the flood of verbage from RSR to get to the meat of what he's trying to say, but to me it reads like what any aircraft developer usually does, i.e. fixing and tuning their aircraft's flight model (FM) to a sim's aerodynamics engine. I'm away from my computer for a while so I wonder if they have implemented the new SU10 ground handling flight model tuning parameters (like the Fenix)? In the flight_model.cfg file under the "[FLIGHT_TUNING]" section if these parameters are defined then that's a yes:

ground_crosswind_effect_max_speed
ground_crosswind_effect_zero_speed
ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar

I had a quick look at the 737-800 flight_model.cfg file and I don't see anything with those lines. 

• Like 1

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

16 hours ago, Mace said:

Reminds me of the 2008 days, when the PMDG MD-11 had to deal with sudden wind shifts in FSX upper atmosphere simulation.  PMDG had a devil of a time programming to mitigate that.  But they did eventually get it handling the wind shifts well.  Maybe I'll post that in the thread you linked to see if they comment on it at all.

What a beauty that aircraft was! Best of PMDG

• Like 1

Stefan Ticusan