Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

DC-3 impressions?

I think we are starting to get physics in a sim we have never gotten before.  Which makes some think things are messed up. I absolutely love the way the DC-3 is flying changing the lift coef stuff in the config file.  Especially after the developer came out on video talking about it.  Just gotta stay on top of it and pay attention to the numbers etc.  Of course the developer even said he is gonna have to polish some of the edges due to the cfd implementations. 

What scares me is to think it's most likely been more wrong than right all this time in older sims and us being the creatures of habit we are and our complacency thinks now its more wrong when it's getting closer to the real deal.. And in the real world real happens and you are gonna have to adapt and overcome or accept the real consequences. And sometimes I sure wish I could get a mod that makes real more sim 😉

My 2 cents  Cheers All

• Like 1

Guys any idea what am I doing wrong? Cowl flaps closed, carb heat is on. Oil temp is low and in red

image.png?width=2136&height=1202

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

On 11/14/2022 at 5:09 AM, Maladoror said:

Will have to try this, thank you. Just when I got comfortable taking off and landing. 

You can get the auxiliary tanks working in the enhanced version, from the official forums:

Flying the retrofit has been a lot of fun. I cannot get a VC view that I happy with, but that's me and not the plane. I want a Buffalo livery for the retrofit.

52499707805_7e131cdd48_k.jpg

52499512874_c14995da23_k.jpg

How did you enable this retrofit? In the manual it talks about a knob immediately below the manifold pressure gauge. But there isn’t anything there. I’m wondering if that’s a reference from P3D.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

35 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

How did you enable this retrofit? In the manual it talks about a knob immediately below the manifold pressure gauge. But there isn’t anything there. I’m wondering if that’s a reference from P3D.

Just look for the liveries with 'retrofit' in the name.

How do you all set the heading bug in the retrofit version? It seems they might have left that item out.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

1 hour ago, thibodba57 said:

I read that in the manual, but also see no such knob. I am using the wt gns 530/430 and it just works with the retrofit without said knob.

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

11 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

How do you all set the heading bug in the retrofit version? It seems they might have left that item out.

Lee

Guess thats what you get for reading a manual 🤣

Thanks

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

10 minutes ago, Maladoror said:

I read that in the manual, but also see no such knob. I am using the wt gns 530/430 and it just works with the retrofit without said knob.

I meant the heading knob, in order to choose a heading to set the autopilot to.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

23 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

I meant the heading knob, in order to choose a heading to set the autopilot to.

Lee

Sorry. I misunderstood your question. From what I understand this is not in the retrofit version. You could try this, https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-discussion-the-1935-douglas-dc-3/554979/383

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

Loving this aircraft. Never had a problem taking off but I might try add those CFD changes from the flight model developer anyway. Glad there is a fix for the aux tanks. Carb air temp is bugged though, always reads too hot on the gauge, but some hunting around and apparently it's just the animation is bugged, the actual temps are fine - I guess you need to watch out for ice though if you can't rely on the gauge. Landing is a bit of a handful, but it always seems to be that way with tail draggers in MSFS. Real aircraft doesn't have a tailwheel that steers, so locking it in sim might not be quite so important perhaps?

Edited by s0cks

11 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Guys any idea what am I doing wrong? Cowl flaps closed, carb heat is on. Oil temp is low and in red

image.png?width=2136&height=1202

I think this is another bug, as I saw oil temp mentioned as being corrected in one of the mods over on fs.to. 

I don't know which mod now.  I have lost track as to which one as there are at least three different ones.  So much happening so fast! 

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

The carb air temp is definitely bugged. I think the needle animation is reversed. You'll noticed cold & dark it's reading even hotter.

Unfortunately, last night I ran into the same issue as others with nose pitching up violently on take off. I don't understand tbh. I flew it the previous 3 nights no problem, then last night I couldn't take off without the violent pitch up regardless of weather. Full forward yoke made no difference. You'd have to pull back on the yoke, then move it full forward again after being airborne (and almost stalling). Very bizarre. I will need to try adding that code to the cfg files.

Edited by s0cks

24 minutes ago, s0cks said:

The carb air temp is definitely bugged. I think the needle animation is reversed. You'll noticed cold & dark it's reading even hotter.

Unfortunately, last night I ran into the same issue as others with nose pitching up violently on take off. I don't understand tbh. I flew it the previous 3 nights no problem, then last night I couldn't take off without the violent pitch up regardless of weather. Full forward yoke made no difference. You'd have to pull back on the yoke, then move it full forward again after being airborne (and almost stalling). Very bizarre. I will need to try adding that code to the cfg files.

Well yes.  Even the original author said there were some parameters missing by mistake, but any of the 3 mods at flightsim.to will do you anyway.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

Well yes.  Even the original author said there were some parameters missing by mistake, but any of the 3 mods at flightsim.to will do you anyway.

Yup. Just strange that it was fine and then not...

6 minutes ago, s0cks said:

Yup. Just strange that it was fine and then not...

Yes, a lot of us have had the same.  I had a few good take-offs, but then also crashed a few times with the weird stall and wing-over.  It seems the speeds and trim are super-critical due to part of the flight model being missing. 
No problem with the mods but still trying to figure out which is the best.
Edit:  Just in!  Cpt Moustache has merged his mod with Duckworths, so that is the one to get.

https://flightsim.to/file/43893/duckworks-dc-3-improvement-mod