Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

P3D v5 Disappearing Autogen and Blurries, still a Thing ?

Just a comparison shot for interest sake - nothing else implied. 

This is MSFS - image posted another forum by JAC27 of AH Dakota inbound to SCEL in Chile. 

SD5d0Gf.jpg

This is P3D - Jahn C47 PAA paint inbound to SCEL about same time same position, AS and EA on. ORBX SA LC and Mesh.

Q00faZo.jpg

Still a bit off topic but the CoolSky Super-80-DC9-MegaPack installs fine - there are a few files / steps needed to get everything working for the 3 models in v5:

Super-80-DC9-MegaPack-P3Dv4.exe - the main installation file
Update DC-9 : dc9_update_204.exe - fixes the ILS frequency dial to go in increments of 1 not 10
Update AIRAC in P3D using Navigraph FMS updater
Install click sounds into Super80 Classic from s80beta202.zip - some of the click sounds don't work without this
Install sound packs into Super80 Classic and Pro from file coolskysuper80sounds.zip - optional
S80 classic acars_flightplan_path=c:\users\YOURNAME\My Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files
S80 pro fms_flightplan_path=c:\users\YOURNAME\My Documents\Prepar3D v5 Files
Set P3D default flight to 2D cockpit view before you load the aircraft - this helps everything load properly

If you don't set the Windows desktop resolution to 100% then you will get some font issues on some of the instruments.

5 hours ago, newtie said:

Will look into the reg hack which I’m sure is out there somewhere.

There's a good YouTube video by The Flight Simmer that walks you through it:
Tutorial - Install Any Prepar3D v4 Add-on into Prepar3D v5! Works with all PMDG Aircraft! - YouTube

Once you have the 2 keys working you can export the keys to a file with a .reg extension using Registry Editor and if you want to install the changes again just double click on those files and Windows will update the registry.

These tweaks allow you install most v4 items into v5 by telling the installers that you have v4 installed and pointing the install paths to your v5 installation. It works for a lot of scenery as well as the PMDG DC6 and 737 NGX. Note that once you have made the tweak I have found that you should leave the registry entries as they are, i.e. not reverse them. Below is the content of my two .reg files (importnat bits in bold)  which you can also simply create in Notepad and save with a .reg extension - obviously your paths need to be appropriate for where you have P3D installed:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4]
"SimConnect_Port_IPv6"="50568"
"SimConnect_Port_IPv4"="50569"
"AppPath"="C:\\Lockheed Martin\\Prepar3D v5\\"
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4]
"License"="Professional"
"SetupPath"="C:\\Lockheed Martin\\Prepar3D v5\\"

• Like 1

@simfan1983, I used the same procedure to install the Vertx DA62 in v5. You also need that entry for the DA62 utility to work. Usually just for topping up oxygen.

Once finished with that utility I run another .reg command that removes the v4 entry in the Registry as Ai Lights Reborn doesn’t like a v4 entry existing if the sim is not installed.

Sounds complicated but isn’t. Just run a couple of reg commands on my desktop. 👍 

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I run another .reg command that removes the v4 entry

I found that something I installed didn't like it if you removed the reg entries - at least I suspect that was the issue.

1 minute ago, simfan1983 said:

I found that something I installed didn't like it if you removed the reg entries - at least I suspect that was the issue.

I suppose that depends on what it was.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 11/27/2022 at 7:45 PM, Gabe777 said:

Thnx for that.

So why are you still on P3D v4 ?

In my quest for a reason to move back to P3D with the better hardware I have, the choice between my old backup up image of v4 and "purchasing" v5 is quite a dilemna.

Hey @Gabe777,

It's a pros vs. cons type of thing, what would I gain vs. what would I loose.

For example:

• I'm running Orbx through and through so any so called scenery improvements in v5 are irrelevent to myself.
  • The move to linear lighting in v5 is a pro, but I have a very customised Tomatoshade and custom written shaders for dynamically lit clouds and rain which I prefer.
  • I have Orbx coastal waves, which to move to v5 would require a degree of recoding, v5 has no coastal waves anymore.
  • There are a fair number of airport issues in v5.
  • Orbx vector is better in v4.5, Orbx does have a v5 version as LM didn't improve everything, however the Orbx v5 vector implementation is flawed in it's structural build and results in load/stutter issues.
  • The so called advanced truesky clouds implementation is pretty terrible (IMHO), FSW (Flight Sim World) had better truesky cloud implementation.
  • I have many textures and themes so to speak (REX software) for v4.5 that I would loose with no comparable replacements for v5
  • The aircraft in v5 always seem to be jaggy on the edges, AA issues.
  • Dynamic lighting is improved in v5 but the day to dusk is more problematic.
  • I'd loose the Milviz weather radar due to the bugs in LM's sdk implementation in v5.
  • V5 does have more subjective perfomance but has less parking spaces at airports.

Really I consider it a bit like Windows where the second release is the better one, like vista = dud, Win7 = success, Win8 = dud, Win10 a bit of a hit/miss given there were so many release versions of Win10, Win11 = it's looking a bit on the dud side.

I do have v5.3 for testing, but I don't see it as that great overall.

Anyway you could get both, they're cheap in the overall schema of things for the Academic version, or you could get the monthly sub to trial out.

The above said if v6 looks like the LM clip which the article seems to imply, indeed there are potentially exciting times ahead 😁

My dynamically lit clouds I just don't want to give up.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Yes indeed. MSFS does look very nice.

I took out P3Dv5 again and same issues.

No matter on settings once in the PMDGD 747 all is good until I go up through thick clouds.

I have a 3080Ti so at 4K and max cloud cover with Active Sky, it's running at a mere 50 percent !

But the CPU is often maxed at at 4 cores.

Come down through the clouds and break through at say 4 to 5 000ft and Porridge City.

I have to slow to 200 knots and circle for 20 minutes for the ground textures to sharpen up.

If I Pause and reload... by changing Autogen Density for example... it comes back sharp as a tack... and oh, how I miss the autumn !

I've read, over on the P3D forums, that this issue has not gone away in v5 for many people.

Edited by Gabe777

2 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

But the CPU is often maxed at at 4 cores.

That's with the 7700K, correct? What is your autogen draw distance setting?

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

48 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

That's with the 7700K, correct? What is your autogen draw distance setting?

OFF or On. Tried every combo.

That's the problem... even with autogen off, the land tiles are porridge. Both Orbx and vanilla.

I think the CPU is simply not powerful enough to run complex weather and clouds, plus a PMDG at the same time as renderjng ground scenery.

Anyhow, I'mm upgrading to a i7 13700k at XXmasor shortly after, with DDR5 RAM....

So, I think I will just do a fresh Windows 11 install and try the P3D v5 monthly licence.

I want it to be good... but we'll see.

I was hoping someone who had a 12th or 13th gen CPU and ran P3D could tell me if it made a difference to blurries. But many don't seem to have the problem to begin with.

So the only sensible thing to do is try it myself.

But I will get back with a full report so others may be better informed.

Edited by Gabe777