Sign in to follow this  
Peter Webber

Fear of the word: "INCREASE".

Just had a mail now from Navigraph explaining that subscription prices are being "adjusted". Also, my bank normally informs me when their charges have been "revised". And my cellphone service provider uses the word "reviewed". To mention only a few. What is this reluctance to use the word "increased", or "raised", or "hiked"! 😂 But of course they all value our continued support of their respective businesses...😉

Edit: As I was typing this message, received a mail from my internet service provider explaining the monthly fee "updates"...🤣

At least there's an "UP" hidden there somewhere..

Edited by Peter Webber
  • Like 2

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I suspect that they think that we are all too dim to realise that prices are going up if they don't use the word increased.
In the UK, there is also the widely used tactic of pricing stuff at £9.99, presumably thinking that we do not realise that in fact it is 1p short of £10.
1p long ago became a sum of such little value that it cannot buy anything at all.
In fact, £10 is rapidly going the same way. 🙂
On a slightly less cheerful subject, I wonder at the reluctance to use the word "died" or "dead".

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Reader said:

In the UK, there is also the widely used tactic of pricing stuff at £9.99, presumably thinking that we do not realise that in fact it is 1p short of £10.

Here in the US it is $19.99 or $29.99.

It's a marketing tactic. So, at first glance, people just see the $19… and $19 seems more reasonable and cheaper than $20. Marketers have been doing this forever.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Also, here in the US, there is a tactic stores are using making cartons and packages smaller in size!  Pretty much no such thing as a half gallon of ice cream anymore!  It's now a quart and a half for the same price or higher. 🤨

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Ever bought a half full tube of Pringles lately?

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

39 minutes ago, Peter Webber said:

Ever bought a half full tube of Pringles lately?

Yep! That started some years ago. Have you noticed that the height of the Pringles can has gotten taller?

Fortunately for me, Krogers have their own version of Pringles that are about 20% lower price and are filled the top with goodness!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

What is this reluctance to use the word "increased", or "raised", or "hiked"!

Psychology. Makes it seem less problematic to call it something other than what it is. This affliction seems to have become worse as I've gotten older.
My generation (Millennials) just 'loves' to wrap one thing up as another thing, but use flowery language to do so, to disguise what it really means.

New speak: 'Microaggression' = polite disagreement
'Progressive' = illiberal
'Body positive' = unhealthy

[/rant]

18 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Also, here in the US, there is a tactic stores are using making cartons and packages smaller in size!  Pretty much no such thing as a half gallon of ice cream anymore!  It's now a quart and a half for the same price or higher. 🤨

It's called Shrinkflation.
Unfortunately, unlike in 2009 where it was ubiquitous with associated static prices, we now have "Shrinkflation" and accompanying price rises, sorry, adjustments... 😅

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

10 hours ago, Reader said:

On a slightly less cheerful subject, I wonder at the reluctance to use the word "died" or "dead".

The following clip starts toward the end with euphemisms for aging and death, but the entire clip is worth watching for other euphemisms.

For some reason this guys used cars always ended in a 5 or 0, never a 9.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I got told by my boss the other week to change my 'master spreadsheet'  of all mandatory training / expiries of the crew to another name that was more gender fluid. Its been called the master spreadsheet for over 15 years. 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png