Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

RC6 Released

8 minutes ago, FlyingGoose said:

Yes, but ..  based on your comment history, you're not exactly the most objective when it comes to XP, are you?

Objective? That's not for me to say, now is it 🙂 I dislike the competition, no secret there.

My biggest gripe with XP at the moment is that it looks like a glitter bomb went off on an airport when flying by at night. Sparkly everywhere. It's as if a few triangle mesh elements in the 3d models of the light fixtures keep peeping through when viewed at a distance every other second. Hoping AA tuning fixes that.

I can actually go to 4x with minimal cost but as many have declared, AA ain't doing much yet, so I leave it on 2x.

I'm 'poo pooing' the folks who scream that 30-40 fps is 'unusable'. I personally don't have any FPS jitter, so have nothing to complain about there. 

Austin said mid-Dec. I'm betting this goes final soon. Fingers are crossed that it includes some AA tweaks too.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

I mean, nothing stops Laminar from releasing this today, but it will be a disappointment for people coming from XP 11. Forget about people using P3Dv5 and MSFS today.

30-40 fps may be usable for you, but I'm used to getting 55+ fps at 4K with Ultra settings in MSFS, P3D v5 is also very smooth, and even XP 11 was better (uninstalled that a while back so don't remember exactly - but it was better than XP12, even with orthos and 3rd party aircraft installed vs XP12 vanilla).

30 FPS is flyable, sure, but it's not as nice. For the XP-only players like yourself, you have no choice but to take whatever FPS you get and it doesn't matter cause you would never switch anyway - but the majority of people aren't that strongly tied to a sim platform. 

I have all three sims (and DCS, though I'm not very good at that yet), and I really want XP to be a strong option.. and I think it will be; but just like XP 11, it's going to take a bunch of point releases before that happens.

I am aware of the opinions about the flight model and so forth, and I'm sure there are people that will pick XP over the competition based on the flight model alone,  but XP12 has to do more than appeal just to the hardcore pilot/quasi-pilot segment of the market. Sure, that segment may be a stable and lucrative market.. but then it becomes almost a B2B model, and you're not going to have loads of third party devs developing planes for XP. 

If XP 12 nails the performance delta over the next six months (say), adds some new features (flight planner, better ATC, or something else that no other sim is doing or not doing well enough) then us civilian simmers will be in a much better position with two strong options (P3D is the big loser here). If not, then marketshare will dwindle.

The bet Laminar made on porting to mobile doesn't seem to have paid off, so maybe they can focus those dev resources on making their desktop offering more compelling. 

Let's see what happens. I'm rooting for XP for purely selfish reasons - I love simming and have many decades (hopefully!) ahead of me, so I WANT the market to thrive, with loads of third parties, lots of great new hardware, and so on.

I don't want flight sim to be an expensive, esoteric, and niche hobby.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, FlyingGoose said:

but XP12 has to do more

Do more to do what, exactly? Take over the flight sim world? That's delusional up against streaming ortho. Nor is it the desire.

I'm not aware of any major 3rd party devs abandoning XP. If they were, they would have claimed 'writing on the wall' months ago, at the least. They might be dabbling in the other platforms, but there's no sign that LR's world is crumbling before our eyes. Instead, they're hiring.

We have 12 because of mobile sales. The bet obviously paid off. The fruits of optimizing for ARM cpus is showing in the fact that the sim is on par with the competition in terms of visual fidelity and it's doing so with less computational cost.

And no, 'visual fidelity' isn't a function of being able to draw mid-grade ortho, photogrammetry, and snow.

If anything, XP is drawing more triangles on the screen than the competition. E.g. light posts! Thousands of them! Over on the other side it's nothing but floating orbs at night. Honestly, maybe XP should draw fewer of them.

The quantity of volumetric clouds, 3D atmosphere rendering, photometric lighting, reflections, rain effects, trees, quantity of autogen, etc. It's all there. The 'visuals' look amazing.

There's no question more/stable FPS is coming. The pro market demands that. Until then, 30-40 FPS is perfectly usable.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

I think you have already established your position on XP12, you feel it’s the best thing ever. That’s your opinion and if enough people share that opinion, it will be a mega success. 

For less biased observers, things aren’t perhaps as rosy. But I have no interest in debating opinions ad infinitum, I end by saying I hope XP 12 is a big success, and that it brings in more regular players instead of just the die hard fans. 

Edited by FlyingGoose
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FlyingGoose said:

I think you have already established your position on XP12, you feel it’s the best thing ever. That’s your opinion and if enough people share that opinion, it will be a mega success. 

For less biased observers, things aren’t perhaps as rosy. But I have no interest in debating opinions ad infinitum, I end by saying I hope XP 12 is a big success, and that it brings in more regular players instead of just the die hard fans. 

Part of me wants to ask why you, and many others from the other side of the fence, care so much about how we feel about X-Plane. We've seen the vitriol, from "looks pathetic",  to "Too many CTD's" to calling us a "cult".  The cult label is one I find particularly hypocritical, and quite funny, seeing as I came across a post in the MSFS forums from a prolific poster announcing his intentions in buying an MSFS polo shirt, and then posting a photo of himself wearing it, in all its hi res, cultist glory.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, FlyingGoose said:

I'm rooting for XP

I honestly couldn't deduce that from your comments.

3 hours ago, FlyingGoose said:

I think you have already established your position on XP12

Oh good. Thank you for the notice. The FPS will come. Maybe check back in in about 6 months.

I still get FPS drops due to SASL on Windows. Not on Linux though.

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

So, my experience with RC6 has been great so far. Not sure if this happened with this RC, but I am getting over 150fps in the CL650 cockpit @ 4K. Performance-wise, it is actually seems better than MSFS with Frame Generation on.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

15 hours ago, FlyingGoose said:

Well said.  Bang on point. 

14ppkc-6.png

21 hours ago, jcomm said:

- Since last version. METAR downloads are out of sync with real data;

Let's wait for RC7 🙂

Not tried it yet.  How badly is the weather of sync please?

Thx

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

21 hours ago, mSparks said:

If someone has some time for bug reporting, imho the A330 cockpit textures need a little love now the dark cockpit issues are otherwise resolved,  Im not really an art type guy so I'll leave it to those who are truly passionate about the way things look.

The way things look? Stick with XP11 Sparks which is pure flight sim with none of this nonsense eye candy!😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

The way things look? Stick with XP11 Sparks which is pure flight sim with none of this nonsense eye candy!😀

I relegated XP11 to an archive drive about a week ago, XP12 for what I want from it is already superior in every imaginable way, you were wrong, it wasn't years, it took about 12 months.

plus I was wrong, I'm getting all the eye candy at triple digit framerates, so no need to downgrade to XP11 visuals.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

18 hours ago, GoranM said:

Part of me wants to ask why you, and many others from the other side of the fence, care so much about how we feel about X-Plane. We've seen the vitriol, from "looks pathetic",  to "Too many CTD's" to calling us a "cult".  The cult label is one I find particularly hypocritical, and quite funny, seeing as I came across a post in the MSFS forums from a prolific poster announcing his intentions in buying an MSFS polo shirt, and then posting a photo of himself wearing it, in all its hi res, cultist glory.

Since this seems like a reasonable question, I'll answer.

I don't care what you (or anyone else) feel(s) about Xplane. I like discussing simming in a pleasant and collegial manner with other like-minded people, that's all. If you love or hate <flight sim of choice>, that's really not that interesting; everyone has different tastes so why get bothered by this? Of course some people ONLY like XP, some only like MSFS/P3D/DCS.. but I'd bet that most people on this forum are here because we enjoy flight sim, and enjoy trying out and using all simulators. 

There are a few people (I can think of maybe half-a-dozen people here on the XP forum, and similar numbers on the MSFS forum) that apparently DO care very deeply and are constantly trying to get the last word/prove everyone else wrong/whatever. I usually try not to engage because simming is a fun and pleasant activity for me, I'm not here to get into pointless debates. 

I never said any of the things you're quoting, so I have no idea what you're talking about. The people that do say that are wrong and should be ignored. It doesn't matter which sim they use - anyone that talks like this is someone I avoid. 

I use all sims and enjoy having a pleasant conversation with like-minded people. On this forum (MSFS or XP), the vast majority of people are just here to chat and have a nice time. The few that are vastly more deeply invested, good for them, but I find it's generally best to stay away from that level of passion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FlyingGoose said:

Since this seems like a reasonable question, I'll answer.

I don't care what you (or anyone else) feel(s) about Xplane. I like discussing simming in a pleasant and collegial manner with other like-minded people, that's all. If you love or hate <flight sim of choice>, that's really not that interesting; everyone has different tastes so why get bothered by this? Of course some people ONLY like XP, some only like MSFS/P3D/DCS.. but I'd bet that most people on this forum are here because we enjoy flight sim, and enjoy trying out and using all simulators. 

There are a few people (I can think of maybe half-a-dozen people here on the XP forum, and similar numbers on the MSFS forum) that apparently DO care very deeply and are constantly trying to get the last word/prove everyone else wrong/whatever. I usually try not to engage because simming is a fun and pleasant activity for me, I'm not here to get into pointless debates. 

I never said any of the things you're quoting, so I have no idea what you're talking about. The people that do say that are wrong and should be ignored. It doesn't matter which sim they use - anyone that talks like this is someone I avoid. 

I use all sims and enjoy having a pleasant conversation with like-minded people. On this forum (MSFS or XP), the vast majority of people are just here to chat and have a nice time. The few that are vastly more deeply invested, good for them, but I find it's generally best to stay away from that level of passion. 

You are a very rare individual in these forums.  It'd be nice if more people could take a leaf out of your book.  Unfortunately, there is something called "buyers pride".  And way too many people in the MSFS forums have it overflowing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

The funny thing about how so many people keep bashing XP is, they all HAD the ability to install a fully operational "Battle Station", oops wrong analogy, couldn't help myself, simulator (Demo) prior to purchasing. I for one, own, or have owned, 90% of all simulators back to the early 90's. I enjoy(ed) all of them, each of which had their high and low points which never entered into the equation (it's a hobby). XP will keep evolving as will EVERYTHING else. Enjoy it, if you don't like it shelf it just don't blame it or anyone else for you spending money on it. Oh yeah, one other thing, I don't remember any XP version stoping with a .0 after release. This is only to give the add-on developers something to work with without the target movements during a beta phase. Good luck to those guys and LR with the release and enjoy what you have. Like a fine Wine, it only gets better with age. 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders